Bachmann Class 55 Deltics

southernelectric

Hi guys,

Following on from this thread I was interested in obtaining a Class 55 as part of my preservation fleet. I want to model around 1990 on a fictional station somewhere in the midlands on the ECML. It will be far from prototypical, but I would like an air of realism. To give an example, my preservation fleet also contains a B17/6 which was supposedly preserved.  

Being from Yorkshire getting 9005 would be ideal and I know of one for sale at a reasonable price. However I am guessing that I would need one in post-TOPS condition as this would be how it was preserved. Would any of the other Bachmann Deltics be suitable for renaming to 55005 in post-TOPS condition?

Also is there any benefit to going for the newer 21-pin over the original 8-pin locos?

TIA   

• RMweb Gold

Saw my first deltic yesterday being towed though Leicester had never really thought much of them before but seeing one in the flesh I have changed my mind and will have to get one. They seem massive  are they bigger then the current diesel. Did not get the number was on my way into town when it went over the bridge 

This would have been the convoy from York Railway Museum to Kidderminster. The locos were (in order) 55002, D6700, 47292, 41001 and 55019.  55019 was being dropped off at Kidderminster Severn Valley railway whilst the other four locos went on to the Swanage Railway on Friday.  The Deltics are big ( a bit ugly looking in my opinion) but very impressive when you hear one close up!

Just found this thread... plenty of sage advice abounding and can't think of much to add at the moment. I've a few of these, some lightly detailed and weathered and one "gone to town on". This latter one (per image below) is fitted with SWD sound and a big speaker in the tanks (had to remove lots of plastic to fit it); sound is ... er ok, but nothing close to the bass needed for the real thing and it's not a real scale sound - some clever speakers would possibly be needed for that. My blog does have quite a bit on what I did to this and some of that might be of use to browse through if you want to improve on what is a reasonable model... but one worthy of improvement.

Brian Hanson's Extreme Etchings range of parts are useful too.

Jonathan

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Could any of you who have bought Pinza recently tell me if it comes with name plates as mine didn'y have them when it arrive via post from the retailer

BW

Mike

This is not a direct answer to your question, I’m afraid, but I believe that Bachmann recently tried to economise by omitting etched nameplates, sprung buffers and driver figures. A worthy aim but not generally welcomed and recently etched nameplates and drivers have been restored to the package.

Archived