Iain, what can I possibly say that could do your work the justice it fully deserves - friend, absolutely stunning, and that's the least I can say.

Feeling, atmosphere, finely honed skills - it's all there in spades.

Iain, well done mate, you're the best (well almost!)

Cheers mate.

Allan.

Steady chaps.

You're in danger of turning into a couple of luvvies. 

Jonte

Hey Jonte, have you ever seen Robinson? kilt, hairy legs, whiskey sodden, while I on the otherhand stands at 6' 6", wiegh 245 with a profile to match so not quite the match you predicted !

I'd really like to see some of Tetbury  and the above in black and white, like some of these old pictures below. They make me think of cinders in my socks, a constant hazard to small 1950s boys in sandals....and probably to ladies in fully fashioned nylons, too!

post-106-0-03802100-1364842158.jpg

post-106-0-72825400-1364842161.jpg

Doug

I'd really like to see some of Tetbury  and the above in black and white, like some of these old pictures below. They make me think of cinders in my socks, a constant hazard to small 1950s boys in sandals....and probably to ladies in fully fashioned nylons, too!

Doug

Those photos are beautiful, Doug, really fine. They remind me of the really evocative covers of MRN in the late sixties, besides being fascinating in themselves.

To be going on with, here's a couple for you..

post-18033-0-18457300-1364843498.jpg

post-18033-0-40229800-1364843527.jpg

Not a patch on yours, but you've started me off now!

cheers,

Iain

• RMweb Gold

The Tetford Farmers strike again! 

I really admire your rooves. They add a lot to realism, but in a discreet way, just as it should be. (Buckjumper tells me rooves is an old fashioned word, but us GW men like old fashioned!).

Another photo for Doug...

post-18033-0-55985000-1364862455.jpg

The shed at Tetford, based loosely on Tetbury, of course. Some wisps of smoke added in Photoshop. The shed is built with Wills brick embossed sheet and the roof slated with lengths of hand-cut paper slates.

Next in this tour around Tetford, if I may try the patience of anyone still following this, will be Tetfold Farm.

cheers,

Iain

Guest jonte

The standard of modelling here, Iain, is exceptional. But that doesn't come as a surprise.

What is a surprise, is that, at long last, I've realised what composition actually means and its significance in setting the scene.

Like Alan's work, this surely is the key factor that sets the professionally created scene apart from the keen amateur's. It would appear that whether the modelling is acceptable or exceptional, it is the overall scene in which individual models are set that distinguishes the good from the best, and I'm not really sure whether this is a skill that can be acquired (like, for instance, the basics of weathering) or an inherent quality: you've either got it or you ain't!

Still now I'm aware of it, I can but try!

Btw: I've always suspected that the Wills product is a tad overscale for 4mm (better for 'S'?), however, there's no denying it has that rustic quality that I'd like to explore further using, ahum, a drill or needle type scraper, with just a dash of polyfilla/PVA mix or DAS (to serve as a mortar course) to taste. But in this case, Iain, you've shown it in at its best. As good as some of these brick papers are, they're no match for the relief that can be created in a scene such as this. 

May I say: well done?

Best wishes,

Jonte.

Hi Jonte, just my few coppers worth!

You asked above about painting the inside of the loco shed.

Well, and as you can see from my inferior effort to Iain's above, once it's full of loco, you can't see anything and I don't think yet that I've ever done anything more exotic to the inside of an engine shed - unless it's a main line depot of cavernous proportions - other than paint the whole lot black!

But of course, you shouldn't let me influence idle modelling!

Regards.

Allan.

Guest jonte

Can you match these Iain?! - the late wife on a photo shoot for a hosiery advert way back in the late 50s!

attachicon.gifIMG_0313.jpg

Btw, Allan:

Do you mind if I print off a copy of your dearly beloved and post it on the wall of my cell?

Best wishes,

Jonte

"... trying the patience...." ??? NEVER!  Please keep them coming Iain.

A question?  When you build something like an engine shed, what is your strategy for painting it, particularly the interior?  Is it 'paint-as-you-go'?

Thank you! I always worry...

I paint the building in flat sections during assembly, usually using Humbrol acrylics or artist's acrylics. Then, when it's all fixed together I meld in the corners and any other areas. The brickwork here (I don't really like Wills brickwork...if you've seen my Blogger blog you'll know lol!) I coat with off-white, slightly tinged with grey, then when this is dry I go over with a chisel brush loaded with brick colour, just dry-brushing lightly. Afterwards I have two Conte sanguine pencils, like pastel pencils, which I use to colour in the darker bricks.

The interior was painted cream, then weathered the heck out of with grey on a dry brush to make it look grubby.

cheers,

Iain

There's me painting the insides before assembly and the master does not bother!!!  All I can say is, I have some very fussy spiders roaming over my layout!

The wood uses Colron Georgian Medium Oak stain and the corrugated is a home brew of greys.  I intend next to waft the airbrush over with a weak dirty mix, then add some weathering powders.  I make my own from artists' pastel sticks and grind them up on coarse sandpaper.

Loving this, it's superb!

The standard of modelling here, Iain, is exceptional. But that doesn't come as a surprise.

What is a surprise, is that, at long last, I've realised what composition actually means and its significance in setting the scene.

Like Alan's work, this surely is the key factor that sets the professionally created scene apart from the keen amateur's. It would appear that whether the modelling is acceptable or exceptional, it is the overall scene in which individual models are set that distinguishes the good from the best, and I'm not really sure whether this is a skill that can be acquired (like, for instance, the basics of weathering) or an inherent quality: you've either got it or you ain't!

Still now I'm aware of it, I can but try!

Btw: I've always suspected that the Wills product is a tad overscale for 4mm (better for 'S'?), however, there's no denying it has that rustic quality that I'd like to explore further using, ahum, a drill or needle type scraper, with just a dash of polyfilla/PVA mix or DAS (to serve as a mortar course) to taste. But in this case, Iain, you've shown it in at its best. As good as some of these brick papers are, they're no match for the relief that can be created in a scene such as this. 

May I say: well done?

Best wishes,

Jonte.

Thank you so much, Jonte. I do worry about my modelmaking, as you know, and agonise over the placing of scenes...but in the end always just go with a feeling of "rightness" that comes when all the parts of the scene are in balance. That's my story, anyway! I always feel Allan is like an impressionist painter, with that uncanny feel for shape and form...as we have seen so many times. I kind of muddle along, but really appreciate kind words like yours.

Yes, I like the relief from the Wills brickwork, the trouble is that it is overscale, as others have pointed out, and also it is the very devil to cut out being so thick. Then there is the problem of brittleness, which seems to occur when the plastic is stored for any length of time. I have been banging on about this in my blogger and I am sure Wills are about to sue me....but other products by them are of course very good. A polyfilla mortar course might be a very good idea, I have not tried that!

Thanks again for your kind words, much appreciated,

cheers,

Iain

I know that in the past 7mm modellers have used the Wills stone work product.  We thought that it was definitely over scale for 4mm.  Being 'tight fisted', I made my own stone patterns up and cast it resin.

Yes, Wills 4mil products are quite often better suited to the next scale up - I've even used their random stone sheets for Gauge One!!

I'll put up some examples later showing how the Wills stone sheets work better in the 7mil scale.

Allan.

And a little tudor -  Chester -  in case you get cheesed off with stone!

All card studwork and ornamental timber work 'sheened up' with semi-matt varnish then cut out as a one piece 'doily and glud  onto prepared panelling sheet.

post-18579-0-13998700-1364913794.jpgpost-18579-0-24519700-1364913635.jpg

Guest jonte

Thank you so much, Jonte. I do worry about my modelmaking, as you know, and agonise over the placing of scenes...but in the end always just go with a feeling of "rightness" that comes when all the parts of the scene are in balance. That's my story, anyway! I always feel Allan is like an impressionist painter, with that uncanny feel for shape and form...as we have seen so many times. I kind of muddle along, but really appreciate kind words like yours.

Yes, I like the relief from the Wills brickwork, the trouble is that it is overscale, as others have pointed out, and also it is the very devil to cut out being so thick. Then there is the problem of brittleness, which seems to occur when the plastic is stored for any length of time. I have been banging on about this in my blogger and I am sure Wills are about to sue me....but other products by them are of course very good. A polyfilla mortar course might be a very good idea, I have not tried that!

cheers,

Iain

Pleasure, Iain. You really are so unassuming. If I was that good I'd be a right big head!!

Don't worry about Wills: am I right in thinking they're now part of the Peco empire?

If so, I think they'll be far too busy pursueing me for slating their 'finescale(?) track to bother you.

Best wishes,

Jonte

cheers,

Iain

Iain,

Have you ever tried those plain white paper brick embossed sheets from, I think, Howards Scenics'

What I do with it, and I'll put up another pic showing it in action if you like (I really must stop highjacking these Threads !) is to dye the sheet first in english light oak wood dye (The mortar colourering ) then lay the sheet over a sheet of course sandpaper then 'skim' across the raised bricks  with a variety of brick coloured crayons (and even lipstick and eye liner!! ) which 'softens' up the brick courses at the same time as adding a 'hit and miss' texture to the brickwork -  then seal it all with aerosol matt varnish - bends around everything, return walls, into window reveals, chimney stacks - you should try it !

Cheers.

Allan.

Archived