Trying to find photos of class 31,s in Scotland BR days.

Hugh Flynn

Hi

For my next project I am looking to find photos of freight with 31,s in Scotland I keep thinking  small yard South of Edinburgh with odd freight from Newcastle.It is to justify 26,s and 31,s together.

BR Blue era 1975-80

Thanking you in advance

Hugh

Hugh,

In the early 80s a few worked into Edinburgh Waverley on a postal service from the Newcastle direction...can't remember any more details. Showing one on a sbnd freight returning towards Newcastle is therefore not too outrageous. Occasional Engineers trips from the Berwick direction might also be feasible.

Cheers

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Although in Edinburgh now, I'm originally from the other side of Scotland and I can remember only once seeing a class 31 up here.  It was around 1984 and was drawing a couple of blue-grey Mk Is and what may have been a flask-wagon.

I do remember seeing a photo of one as fare north (sic) as Dunbar.

It would, however, give a nice bit of variety and body styling running alongside the 26s, etc.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Hugh

Unfortunately dont have photos as i was too young but growing up in Musselburgh i seen quite a few of them before i started to venture south of the border. 31s did appear at Edinburgh Waverley and Millerhill even till as late as 87ish so not inconceivable that could have gotten down to Leith aswell, they were rare but usually 31/4s although i do remember the odd railfreight liveried 31 ticking over at Millerhill during Sunday afternoon bunks with my dad.

Regards

Bry

Archived