The Decline of British Railways in Bury & Rossendale

philsandy

I bought this book the other day from my local model shop.

An excellent book with lots of quality photos, many in colour, from the steam and diesel/electric eras.

It deals with the 5 branch lines that ran (and were eventually closed), from Bury to Accrington, Bacup, Bolton, Holcombe Brook, Rochdale, and Manchester Victoria.

It comes right upto date with the Manchester Victoria/ Bury line, which did not close but became the Metrolink tram system.

I bought this book the other day from my local model shop.

An excellent book with lots of quality photos, many in colour, from the steam and diesel/electric eras.

It deals with the 5 branch lines that ran (and were eventually closed), from Bury to Accrington, Bacup, Bolton, Holcombe Brook, Rochdale, and Manchester Victoria.

It comes right upto date with the Manchester Victoria/ Bury line, which did not close but became the Metrolink tram system.

Just placed my order for one and really looking forward to it. The Bury to Accrington seems to be one of the least photographed in the region, hope it contains some previously unpublished photos.

• RMweb Gold

My copy arrived yesterday, I've had a quick look so here's my first impressions.

The content looks to be good (but bear in mind the quick look) but the reproduction lets it down slightly, having that over saturated look which seems to be more common these days and my pages were slightly creased - neither of these comments detract too much from the content so I'd still consider the book a "Good buy"

• RMweb Gold

We had a look at this book at Bury station a week ago. Superb book but it was too much to carry on the rest of our travels.

Will get a copy hopefully from Ian Allan at Waterloo (the one at Manchester had them in the window last Monday morning).

Ian

Got mine yesterday...It's a "big" book, quite weighty and bursting with info and evocative pictures. Mine has similar print quality issues to Beast's but the content ..WOW! Has the potential to be a bit of a tear jerker for me being familiar with the area. Leafing through the pages started a bit of a roller coaster of emotions. Sorry about the quoted cliches but think it's a superb book.

Jon F

Archived