Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - Milton Keynes show in June2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Today Dobris was at the Letchworth show. Our last show of the year but Dobris has quite a few next year with a potential long trip to Scotland (subject to confirmation).

Today the layout worked faultessly apart from usual human errors which I was also part of!

A good run back home around M25 aswell so a good day was had although my wallet suffered with my third Harz narrow gauge loco for an upcoming new layout.

Anyway, a few photos taken today.

20191130_152942.jpg

20191130_121212.jpg

20191130_121227.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We had a good weekend with the layout at Tenterden with a lot of interest. Also a few potential invites.

I also swapped out a few Tam Valley Frog juices for the equivalent Gaugemaster ones that weren't performing well on the new 009 layout. Luckily they worked very well on Dobris so more will be swapped over in due course freeing up the Tam Valley ones for the 009.

A few photos from the weekend.

20200222_165237.jpg

20200222_155601.jpg

20200222_165213.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to update that both Rotarail (confirmed by email) and Bristol (https://www.bristolmodrailex.uk/2020-exhibition) shows have been cancelled for this year, so Dobris will have a quiet year but at least it did venture out at least once this year and maybe once more in the Autumn depending on how things go.

Fingers crossed that we will be able to attend some of these shows next year.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Despite no shows for the forseable future there has been a little work on rolling stock. These tipper wagons arrived this week and after a test run they have now been weathered. I may do removable loads aswell.

20200918_124101.jpg.c793afd05bb2d29b89330bf9759ddf50.jpg

Also the preserved Zamracena has had its speaker changed to an iPhone 4s one. Now sounds much better than the factory fitted one.

20200917_151550.jpg.0d5983c1abf45d7824880958f929345b.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its been well over a year since my last post on this layout so a few updates regarding shows.

The first booked show since he pandemic took hold was going to be the Abingdon show in Didcot this Autumn but the venue hiked the rates. Next was to be Rotarail in Fareham next April. However the venue is being altered so they will no longer be putting on a show. So the only show so far for next year that the layout is likely to attend is Perth in June 2022. Quite a long drive but looking forward to that show.

Stock has been serviced this year. The only new item of recent is a 3D printed brake van kit, a Daa-k. It has an etched detail set  but as there are no instructions I need to search through my photos  taken on many trips to the Czech Republic over the years. Also the kit comes with decals which makes things a bit easier. It should easily get completed by next Summer.

It would also be good to get back to the Czech Republic before then as its well over three years since our last visit.

20211207_155609.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

With just a few days before we take the layout to Perth, I have finally got the brake van kit in fully working condition. Its had a good run on the High Line test circuit.

20220620_135113.thumb.jpg.d72999401ed053034b273ccd7c347de5.jpg

Also the crossing lights now flash. I tried to work out how to use the decoder that was designed for these but bring in Czech and a technical document,  using online language software just came up with a mess.

So a Train Tech flasher circuit was purchased on Saturday from Gaugemaster and today its now working. I decided not to make the barriers work or add sound as it would be on most of the time and drive any exhibitor near us loopy let alone us.

20220620_102436.jpg

• Like 10

• roundhouse changed the title to Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - Heading to Perth show June 2022
  • RMweb Gold

A little bit of gardening thus evening. I have also added an Alsatian as I recall when we walked past this garden there was a rather loud fog on there so we didn't really get chance to look over the fence  although done photos we took so show the shed and Google maps indicates a couple of patios. At least the flowering bushes add a bit of colour to the garden.

20220620_180018.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I started construction of the last building required on the layout. Only taken me 7 years to start it but it's now finished and setting in its correct location.

Once dry the boards will be boxed up for loading this evening.

Also nearing completion is the maintenance vehicle that was started some year ago. However it won't have the motor fitted for now as I am sure that there are some missing parts.

This evening it will get the lower red sides and may be early tomorrow morning the glazing and decals.

Fingers crossed for a smooth journey to our enroute stop over and Perth Friday lunchtime to set up.

20220622_145102.jpg

20220622_152656.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

We had a good journey to Perth arriving mid day yesterday and the layout set up tested and away by 1.30pm in time to spend the rest of the afternoon in Dundee despite the current infrequent train service.

Today the layout has worked well although one friends loco shed both traction tyres. Roco ones appear to go brittle after a bout 7 years. Luckily I keep spares in the stock box but will have to replenish my supply soon.

A really well organised show that we are enjoying.

20220624_131343.jpg

20220625_150200.jpg

20220624_131313.jpg

• Like 11

Enjoyed seeing the layout today for the first time after following it on here over the years.

I did notice you’d ripped the silencer off the Cargo 751!!! (751219 has always been fitted).

It was interesting watching the identical rolling stock (abet excellently weathered) that I have at home.

Worth the admission.

Thanks,

Neil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Enjoyed seeing the layout today for the first time after following it on here over the years.

I did notice you’d ripped the silencer off the Cargo 751!!! (751219 has always been fitted).

It was interesting watching the identical rolling stock (abet excellently weathered) that I have at home.

Worth the admission.

Thanks,

Neil

That cargo MTB model is as it came from Ben Zerba in Prague. They also blew the sound decoder whilst we waited in Starropramen brewery bar nearby in the Smichov area. I have resisted weathering it too much.

Plenty more weathering upgrades to do on the rolling stock.

Glad you enjoyed the layout in the flesh.

Sorry for the delay was at the Royal Highland Show today.

Ok totally understand. Some of the Czech sound projects come the ability to swap between a silent and a noisy versions.

Try F5 before pressing F8 might work.

Sorry again for being a bit of a pedant!!

Great layout by the way.

Thanks,

Neil

• RMweb Gold

7 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Sorry for the delay was at the Royal Highland Show today.

Ok totally understand. Some of the Czech sound projects come the ability to swap between a silent and a noisy versions.

Try F5 before pressing F8 might work.

Sorry again for being a bit of a pedant!!

Great layout by the way.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil, thanks. I will have a look at that  when we get home.

We were running trains till close of the show at 5pm yesterday. Layout was down, boxed up and loaded into the car outside 35 minutes later avoiding the rain showers.

Did have a casualty whilst loading the boards into the car. Somehow the stools managed to fall onto the layout in the car and the Trabant on the trailer thats waiting at the crossing has had its roof crushed. I do have a spare Trabant but I may well leave the current one as a wreck thats being transported.

A number of locos lost their traction tyres. These Roco ones appear to go brittle after around 7 years. Luckily I have a pack of spares but will have to order some more. I may also see if I can get non traction tyre spare wheelsets.

Otherwise the layout ran fine with no electrical or mechanical  failures.

A really great weekend.

Next show for the layout isnt till next year now .

• Friendly/supportive 2

• roundhouse changed the title to Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - Homeward bound from the Perth show June 2022
  • RMweb Gold

The layout is now back at home with the damage Trabant under repair. There is a small section of roof that so far I have not found. I can make an infill if it doesn't materialise. Apart from that all is OK.

A few final photos from the Perth show.

Looking forward to seeing what has changed in the Czech Republic this Summer after a 4 year break.. There might even be a few new items for the layout obtained.

20220626_155159.jpg

20220626_151647.jpg

20220626_155054.jpg

• Like 7

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of days ago the MTB Models class 714 arrived from Germany.

MTB don't have a UK importer hence ordering from Menzels. This is the most expensive Czech loco that I have bought. It was £220 including shipping but import duty and handling added over £45 to that. Plus the loco doesn't have a decoder in it so its way more than those that did come factory sound fitted but hey everything has gone up so much.

This is the one loco that will bring back memories of our first trip to Dobris with one of these locos hauling us in one of four trailer cars. When we arrived at Dobris the loco shunted one four wheel trailer into a siding then ran round the train ready for the return trip.

So now we can do this move on the layout next time it is at a show. Two potential shows for next year, so once confirmed I will post on here.

The logo is fitted with a Next 18 socket underneath the main circuit board. It's tight clearance to the motor flywheel.  The instructions are only in Czech so I have emailed MTB to see if they do an English version. In the mean time I have worked out where the speaker connections are on the main circuit board. The only space for a speaker will be in the roof of the cab which just unclips from the main body. I have now fitted a driver.

The running board headlights have a ribbon cable but they are not connected to the main board. However there are two small boards which I think clip under the main board and looks like the ribbon cables require soldering to these but will wait to see if we get a reply from MTB.

All very odd as earlier NTB lobos were often factory fitted with a speaker etc.

The loco runs very smoothly and after fitting the handrails horns etc it does look the part.

Now to weather it as its had a good run in.

20221215_091323.jpg

20221215_104726.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• roundhouse changed the title to Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - MTB class 714 has arrived
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, roundhouse said:

A couple of days ago the MTB Models class 714 arrived from Germany.

MTB don't have a UK importer hence ordering from Menzels. This is the most expensive Czech loco that I have bought. It was £220 including shipping but import duty and handling added over £45 to that. Plus the loco doesn't have a decoder in it so its way more than those that did come factory sound fitted but hey everything has gone up so much.

This is the one loco that will bring back memories of our first trip to Dobris with one of these locos hauling us in one of four trailer cars. When we arrived at Dobris the loco shunted one four wheel trailer into a siding then ran round the train ready for the return trip.

So now we can do this move on the layout next time it is at a show. Two potential shows for next year, so once confirmed I will post on here.

The logo is fitted with a Next 18 socket underneath the main circuit board. It's tight clearance to the motor flywheel.  The instructions are only in Czech so I have emailed MTB to see if they do an English version. In the mean time I have worked out where the speaker connections are on the main circuit board. The only space for a speaker will be in the roof of the cab which just unclips from the main body. I have now fitted a driver.

The running board headlights have a ribbon cable but they are not connected to the main board. However there are two small boards which I think clip under the main board and looks like the ribbon cables require soldering to these but will wait to see if we get a reply from MTB.

All very odd as earlier NTB lobos were often factory fitted with a speaker etc.

The loco runs very smoothly and after fitting the handrails horns etc it does look the part.

Now to weather it as its had a good run in.

20221215_091323.jpg

20221215_104726.jpg

Ian, 

If it helps, PM me the instructions. My wife can have a go at translating them. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Robs help I now know where the speaker housing is. Its in the fuel tank but when previously trying to get in to the fuel tank, the two reservoir tanks either at side prevented removal of the plastic fuel tank. So this time I have had to break one side of the reservoir tanks fixing to the chassis to allow access. There is space for a sugar cube. Once I fit the speaker I can then reglue the reservoir but for now the other side is still attached.

20221216_163031.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The 714 has now been weathered and is now awaiting a sound decoe. At present I haven't found the correct sound file for either Loksound or Zimo so will wait a while as chances are that someone will do it now that the model is out.

20221222_135915.jpg.9da55fc3a663c50110860ac729a7d007.jpg

To make sure the wheels and pickups were still clean, the loco had another run on the High Line this time with a bit of Anglo-Czech cooperation.

20221222_135028.jpg.e62df7a3946a619355ce85834c8947ca.jpg

• Like 5