Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - Milton Keynes show in June2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Viktor.

Work continues on the layout but nothing much to report at the moment. Hope to start making more progress in the very near future.

SOme all green CD coaches have been obtained for me by Phatbob form Ardacia and a fewm ore to be ordered. These will make up the steam excursion although they are not the 4 wheelers in the video below or even the smae loco that we will be running

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dobris+vlak&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=BB8BABBBA45841689C09BB8BABBBA45841689C09

However we will have the bardotka that is on the back of this train

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dobris+vlak&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=DC785064E2E13C6DD80FDC785064E2E13C6DD80F

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

ANother visit to Dobris over the weekend.

The line was recently shut for a few weeks to carry our major trackwork. On arrival at Dobirs it was noticeable that they had replaced a fair amount of track including removing a siding and building proper (well in Czech terms) platforms. This did mean that I couldn't get summer photos with heavily overgrown track except where they hadn't done any noticeable work towards the bufferstop end of the station.

One plus point is that the sidng the goes over the road crossing to serve a couple of warehouses had a tank car sitting in the siding so now we have naqother type of wagon to obtain although couldnt find a suitable one on our visit to a number of model shops.

I took my monopod to put the DSLR on it and raise it up a few feet above my head using the phone to preview and take the photos remotely. Hopefully I can use these to add the buildings to the backscene.

The trip to Kladno to visit Masinky  http://www.masinky.czwas well worth the visit. The owner spoke good English and had quite a few of the items I was looking for, including a DCC level crossing sound/ flasher unit and the flashing lights (although the instructions are in Czech) I will still need ot scratch build the barriers though.

He also had a couple of the signals but will still need more of them.

Yesterday I visited Elecktoservis in Pecky where I managed to pick up more of the yard lamps, station seats, and a couple coach kits etc. So another worth while visit.

There are a couple of upcoming shows with other layouts but after that Dobris can be set up agian and all these details added which will make quite a difference.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I managed to spend some time working on the fiddleysrd extension board.

The bare board was constructed a few months ago but today it is now more or less dolete with just sanding and staining required. The track is wired although the baseboard connector needs to be made up.

This fiddleysrd can hold the 4 car all green excursion train with a loco each end although most trains will be shorter than this.

The fiddleysrd is designed to be used on a number of layouts some of which are yet to even be drawn up. It can also be used on a Fort Myers when this layout goes out to shows again.

A couple of photos of progress as of this evening

post-1557-0-12299500-1435522741_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-49915600-1435522751_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Do  your fiddleyards always  travel on the bottom enroute to shows, Ian?

I really must add visiting you at a show/exhibition to my Bucket List. They alway look fun to operate to me (after any “fright” has worn off)......

Apres exhibitions with you the regular “team” sound more fun too, of course.

Good work as per usual.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Pete

Just depends on how they load into the car really. I suspect that this fiddleyard will actually load on top of the scenic boards as the box formed by these to boards will be shallower than the scenic ones.

The next show for this layout will be Barrow In Furness which alwayd puts on a good apres show do in a small brewery and pub.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's now less than two months before the layouts next show and the first with the extended scenic and fiddleysrd.

We will be in Barrow In Fiunessin October.

Yesterday the fiddleysrd wiring was completed and the Loconet hard wired through the scenic boards to the fiddleysrd.

The end plates for boxing up the fiddleyard boards are now complete leaving just two scenic boards to have made up.

Some of the items purchased in the Czech Republic were fitted yesterday which includes the clearance markers between the tracks, some, of the lighting columns, signal and a start made on installing the working crossing flashing units. Barriers are yet to be constructed but will follow shortly.

Next stage is to translate the instructions for the dcc controlled signals and flashing units.

Still plenty more to do but we will get there.

post-1557-0-65469100-1439189363_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-89917500-1439189373_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-86637800-1439189414_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been about a month since I last carried out any work on the layout itself so with a month before the layouts second show and first in extended format , yesterday was a full on day working on it.

The scenic extension board had track wiring and some filler on it but after yesterday all formation was finished most painted, all track blasted and static grass added to the font section. The rear will be Tarmac and a low relief warehouse which should only be a few evenings work once started. The back scene has had its first coat of sky blue but has been left off for now to ease storage. Further details were added to the station board such as the fir tree seats and the road patched around the crossing lights and lamps. The crossing barriers may well be constructed this week along with modifying the flashing lights that are attached to the barrier mechanism.

The first three scenic boards were then set up in the garage where work wil continue evenings this week. Further lots etc have Ben installed and more timber ready to cut for the logs that have been stacked up.

Still plenty to do to get ready for Barrow-In-Furness show in October.

A little more graffiti added to the old garage now that I have a black paint pen

post-1557-0-32969000-1442230350_thumb.jpg

The new extension board and site of the warehouse and tank wagon unloading point although there is no pipework on the prototype.

post-1557-0-45777700-1442230317_thumb.jpg

The road crossing on the original scenic boards

post-1557-0-32262800-1442230329_thumb.jpg

The new fir tree and benches

post-1557-0-36239100-1442230338_thumb.jpg

And from the platform side one of the new benches. Still more clutter to add here

post-1557-0-28973600-1442230359_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Rob

Thanks

Still plenty more to do.

I took some photos for the backscene on the last visit but still unsure that they are suitable but will give them a try even if just for the interim. Really need to take a quadcopter with a good lens with me next time.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Marian.

One big mistake that I also made with Smrzovka is not using concrete sleepered track where it should be. Its normally so dirty in station areas that I forget until I make the next visit to the location.

Luckily the track is often covered in muck and grass that most is disguised enough.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of views from our recent trip.

A general view of Chynov, looking towards Obratan. If we move to the Czech republic, one possible location we have looked at is a building plot about a hundred metres the other side of the level crossing.

The second view is that of Obratan with the 810 departing towards Chynov.

Rob.

post-14122-0-56997500-1442255420_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-68720500-1442255451_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A couple of views from our recent trip.

A general view of Chynov, looking towards Obratan. If we move to the Czech republic, one possible location we have looked at is a building plot about a hundred metres the other side of the level crossing.

The second view is that of Obratan with the 810 departing towards Chynov.

Rob.

The first photo is lovely and overgrown. Just the sort of thing I am trying to capture.

A few more lamp posts and turnout levers etc added tonight. Still plenty more of these to add towards the buffer stops, well if you call the sleepers across the neds of the track bufferstops which quite a contrast to the huge concrete block with one buffer still attached at the end of one of the tracks!

• RMweb Gold

Phatbob has found me an HO scale VW camper. This will have surfboards added.

I have started adding these to my layouts (my version of Terrence Cuneos mouse).You can get away with this on British and US layouts but a land locked country hundreds of miles away form a coastline you might htink may look out of place.

Well there is a place to go surfing in the Czech Republic so this is my excuse for adding the camper with surfboards

http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/10656-surfers-build-first-river-wave-in-the-czech-republic

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Ian, not to worry about a section of concrete sleepred track not being there...

Was back home in CZ in July - sorry no railway photos or experience folks (apart from massive hangover on train across half the republic to Poland :D:D:D ) - and seen a section of concrete sleepered track being replaced with wood!!!

As to surfing, you can always say they're on their way to visit there friends in Donegal, Ireland :D

BR

M

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian, not to worry about a section of concrete sleepred track not being there...

Was back home in CZ in July - sorry no railway photos or experience folks (apart from massive hangover on train across half the republic to Poland :D :D:D ) - and seen a section of concrete sleepered track being replaced with wood!!!

As to surfing, you can always say they're on their way to visit there friends in Donegal, Ireland :D

BR

M

Thanks

I was studying more photos this morning and you can hardly see what the sleepers are made out of in many of the photos due ot the build up of dirt between the rails so I think that I have got away with it. Even the running line on the new board, most of the track is buried in grass.

Every time I look at the photos I find more details to add.

However, to get the layout ready for Barrow In Furness I need to keep focused on the more obvious things for now. At least it all works after a good two days running at its first show last February.

A few more ground levers were added to the turnouts htis morning. They are a plastic kit so I am not sure how well that htye will stand up to track cleaning etc but at least they can be easily glued back together should they get knocked.

I have two different makes of tall lighting posts. The first ones that I  obtained on our last trip are the best IMHO but I cleared the shop in kladno out of them. Another type was purchased on our second shop visit but they are shorter. However, they do a have a small  brass planting spigot, so I can add a length of tube to this to bring them to the correct height. These will be planted along the cutting towards the buffer stops and will not be next to the other type, so will not show up as being any different.

More photos to follow when thers a little more done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I spent an hour and a half or so extending the other make of yard lights so that the match the ones that have now been installed. A suitable diameter brass tube was soldered onto the planting spigot then filed smooth.

They are now setting in position and in the morning I hope to paint he bare brass sections.

Loads more trees to go around these lights.

post-1557-0-47549400-1442522312_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Are you lights detachable or are they fixed in place?

Bill

Bill

They are glued in. The ones fitted last night are towards the backscene and should be safe from being knocked.

The others are a bit more vunerable when cleaning track or theres a derailment. However these ones have not been superglued in , so I am hoping that the PVA gives way before they break or bend.

• RMweb Gold

A little more work done this morning.

The five extended lights have now been repainted. Once dry tonight I hope to add a little more staticky grass round them and maybe start building the extra trees.

Also added is another ground throw as can be seen by the local hauling the wagons.

I hope to spend a good part of this evening, early tomorrow morning (seaboard Southern show tomorrow) and the first part of Sunday working on the layout but I do need to take it down so that Fort Myers can be checked over for next weekends Freemo.

A few photos taken this morning.

post-1557-0-73360000-1442557859_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-56586400-1442557877_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-95992200-1442557925_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Is been a busy day working on the layout today.

Firstly the yard surface between the goods shed and the front siding has been hacked up then a couple of layers of styrene added to bring up the levels ready for the styrene mounded cobble setts to be laid. It now looks much better

Thus afternoon quite a bit of time was spent cutting up twigs to represent the many logs stacked on the loading dock. Still plenty more required but the Minicraft circular saw which I bought some years ago has now actually been used today. Much quicker than using a junior hacksaw.

More removable loads have been put together today so that we can just press on one end of he load the remove it by hand. Ideally I would like a working vehicle to do his but there isn't really enough room for one to maneouvre.

Concrete restraining sections have been filed and glued together where the timber is stacked on the embankment. These still require another coat of paint.

Only three weeks to go before the trip to Barrow sin Furness and plenty still to do but it's getting there.

post-1557-0-08008900-1442781090_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-12434500-1442781238_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-31973600-1442781272_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-04332900-1442781318_thumb.jpeg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3