Heljan 7mm Diesel motor slipping

bagpipes331

Some owners of Heljan diesels have experienced problems with the locomotive motor(s) slipping, causing noise and possibly jerky movement.

My new class 31 has the problem, and another modeller has explained to me how he cured the problem by filing the motor clamp faces. Also he suggested wrapping tape around the motor where the clamp holds the motor.

I contacted Howes, and they responded the next day, and I have coppied their instruction and photo below. 

We have attached a diagram to identify the position of the motor clamp bolt which may require tightening. If this does not solve the problem, then our only other suggestion would be that the motor may be 'slipping' slightly in the motor bracket. This can be solved by wrapping some insulation tape (once should be enough) around the motor which should stop it slipping under load.

Hope this is of some help.

post-10855-0-03984600-1365084301.png

Is it slipping "light engine" or under load?

Hi David,

Both locos (Also my 33) slip light engine and pulling coaches. 

The noise occurs on both locos in one direction only, and from one bogie.

I had originaly been told that the 33 was suffering from a split gear. When I checked all was ok, and I hadn't realised the motor may be loose.

I use my locos so infrequently, I suppose I just put up with it, but when I get time, I will try to sort them out.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Its very odd, I would assume once the motor has slipped the leads attached to it will tighten and stop it slipping around further (until the direction is reversed), is this what is happening?

If this is the case then I guess the noise would stop as soon as the wires tighten, yes?

Its very odd, I would assume once the motor has slipped the leads attached to it will tighten and stop it slipping around further (until the direction is reversed), is this what is happening?

If this is the case then I guess the noise would stop as soon as the wires tighten, yes?

The motor is moving verticaly, partially disengaging the gears.

Guest 838rapid

One of my 47's did that,I removed the motor and reshaped the restrainig straps,seems to have cured it..

• RMweb Premium

Aha, that explains the continous noise. I have not found that problem on any of my Heljans.....yet!  But I have stripped most of them down to do various things to them and I can see how easy it would be for that to happen. In fact I have on my 47 shifted one of the motors away from the gears so I can run just one motor with a 4mm sound decoder.

The motor is moving verticaly, partially disengaging the gears.

Hi all,

I have had this problem with my '47.

I wasnt the motor clamp causing the problem, but the first of the spur gears had relieved itself of all of its teeth !!!

No sooner had i sorted this, then the one on the other bogie decided that it would do the same! luckily they are available as spares and are easily fitted

Hi all,

I have had this problem with my '47.

I wasnt the motor clamp causing the problem, but the first of the spur gears had relieved itself of all of its teeth !!!

No sooner had i sorted this, then the one on the other bogie decided that it would do the same! luckily they are available as spares and are easily fitted

The thing is, as others have pointed out, for the ££££££s we are paying for these locos, there should be a higher level of quality control and materials used. 

If this was a £400+ camera, TV etc, would we accept wrapping tape, replacing parts etc?

Archived