'Failed' preservation projects

nf3996

Had an email yesterday from the GWR Preservation Group (I am no longer a member - but they seem desperate to keep people advised of what's (not) going on, probably in the vain hope they will re-join) - they have decided to sell unrestored GWR 2-6-2T no. 4110.  (They have already sold unrestored GWR 2-8-0 2885), so that they can get GWR 0-6-0PT back in service again.

4110 was the GWRPG's raison d'etre, bought in the late 1970s from Barry scrapyard, moved to Southall (two sites), then moved on to Tyseley, where it has languished in pieces since. The end is surely nigh. Such big hopes and ambitions, soon there won't be anything left. :(  

• RMweb Premium

Back in the late '60s IIRC there was an attempt to secure the Stour Valley line from the truncated BR branch at Sudbury(Suffolk) through to Haverhill - I don't know if any actual progress was ever made, presumably any stock acquired for the project ended up at either Chappel (East Anglia Railway Museum) or the Colne Valley line in Essex.

I can't help but think that this one could have been a winner - popular tourist area, lovely countryside with picture-postcard villages, reasonably close to several large towns and a BR connection!

• 1 year later...

What was the deal with the class 26 that was left in Methil but not at the KFRPS? and the MkII coach that was sitting in Coupar Angus at one point? 

26040...the owner is currently looking for a new home for the loco as he has been served with an eviction notice from its current storage site.

There is a relevant thread over on WNXX, apparently the owner won't sell and has limited options for relocating due to the usual preservation politics etc.

His site (not bang up to date): http://staff.stir.ac.uk/jeff.wotherspoon/jfiles/26040/26040.htm

**Just realised how old this thread is....I don't think KCR has been on for a long time, hopefully of some interest to Cl26 enthusiasts though?

• RMweb Gold

In the late 80s there were plans to reopen Whitby to Robin Hoods bay in two foot gauge. Loco's were acquired from South Africa which I believe are now on the Welch Highland, not sure about stock though

I sometimes think that the NYMR should have gone for that route rather than the Newtondale one

In the late 80s there were plans to reopen Whitby to Robin Hoods bay in two foot gauge. Loco's were acquired from South Africa which I believe are now on the Welch Highland, not sure about stock though

I sometimes think that the NYMR should have gone for that route rather than the Newtondale one

Well, it was very scenic, but very restricted as to what you could run. Black 5s, B1s and Ivatt Class 4s were the biggest steam locomotives permitted, and on one occasion an EE Type 4 (later Class 40) did a southbound trip, but axle loading was a big limiting factor. You would have to double head anything over 5 coaches as well.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure whether the restriction was Larpool viaduct, I'm pretty sure in BR days there was a similar restriction on the current line.

Always thought it was a shame that so few mainline diesels worked over the coast

I seem to recall a plan for a preserved line running from Bradford low moor down through Cleckheaton and Heckmondwike as part of the West Yorkshire transport museum project. The museum was built and operated for a couple of years under the name Transpereence but the line never went beyond the museum grounds. I heard that it ws due to Kirklees council refusing permission to use the trackbed, which is now used as a green way cycle path. The former museum site is now part of an indutrial estate, however you can still see the posts for the tramway that ran on the site.

Another lost narrow guage line was the Kirkstall abbey light railway which is sadley no longer running, its stock and tracks sold after the death of its founder.

I'm not sure whether the restriction was Larpool viaduct, I'm pretty sure in BR days there was a similar restriction on the current line.

Always thought it was a shame that so few mainline diesels worked over the coast

Larpool might well have been an issue - potential maintenance costs there might well have been something for the nascent NYMR to consider as well, I suspect?

AFAIK that run with the EE Type 4 was the only one with a main line diesel ever to traverse the line. It must have been a squeeze getting through Ravenscar Tunnel - and the noise as it did so doesn't bear thinking about - a 1 in 43 climb through it with a fairly sharp curve! Yes, there was Gallows Close Tunnel to get through too, but that was fairly level.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall a plan for a preserved line running from Bradford low moor down through Cleckheaton and Heckmondwike as part of the West Yorkshire transport museum project. The museum was built and operated for a couple of years under the name Transpereence but the line never went beyond the museum grounds. I heard that it ws due to Kirklees council refusing permission to use the trackbed, which is now used as a green way cycle path. The former museum site is now part of an indutrial estate, however you can still see the posts for the tramway that ran on the site.

Another lost narrow guage line was the Kirkstall abbey light railway which is sadley no longer running, its stock and tracks sold after the death of its founder.

Wasn't there a plan that the low moor project was going to have overheads to run the 506 unit and an EM2

Larpool might well have been an issue - potential maintenance costs there might well have been something for the nascent NYMR to consider as well, I suspect?

AFAIK that run with the EE Type 4 was the only one with a main line diesel ever to traverse the line. It must have been a squeeze getting through Ravenscar Tunnel - and the noise as it did so doesn't bear thinking about - a 1 in 43 climb through it with a fairly sharp curve! Yes, there was Gallows Close Tunnel to get through too, but that was fairly level.

A 40 isn't much longer than a mk 1, must have sounded fantastic. As there doesn't seem to have been a restriction on mainline diesels it makes you wonder whether they were used on the pick up or to assist a failed unit

Wasn't there a plan that the low moor project was going to have overheads to run the 506 unit and an EM2

A 40 isn't much longer than a mk 1, must have sounded fantastic. As there doesn't seem to have been a restriction on mainline diesels it makes you wonder whether they were used on the pick up or to assist a failed unit

Well, I have done a lot of searching, trying to find reports of other diesel workings on the SWR - nothing has turned up. The pickup goods did latterly see 03s, and of course the very final train alng the whole line, as featured in "A Sentimental Journey", was also 03 powered. So, it does look as though it was indeed a one-off.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, you mention sentimental journey a friend of mine owns 2051 that was in the film. Some other friends were going to buy it and restore it. Sunday he tells me he's sold it for spares.. Deep joy

• RMweb Gold

There was another failed preservation attempt on the Whitby line. In the 80s David Smith (of WCRC fame/infamy) wanted to open a steam centre at Ravenscar station, but failed to secure planning permission.

• RMweb Gold

There was another failed preservation attempt on the Whitby line. In the 80s David Smith (of WCRC fame/infamy) wanted to open a steam centre at Ravenscar station, but failed to secure planning permission.

Thanks, I'd never heard of this before. Strange choice though half the time the place is shrouded in mist, and all those gales driving salty sea air into all the stock!

A few from the Principality:-

:-"Caerphilly R.P.S." based for several years at the former Caerphilly Works and original home of GWR Mogul 5322.

"Butetown Historic Steam ???" based at Bute Road station, Cardiff (now known as Cardiff Bay or Bae Caerdydd station) some locos later moving to Barry.

and it follows

"Barry Island Steam Railway" evicted by their landlords in favour of an alleged commercial organisation, which is conspicuous by its (somewhat) inactivity.

"Eastern Valleys" project, original purchasers of GWR 56xx No.5643 from Woodham Bros. and which stood alongside the North & West route south of Pontypool Road for some time.

"Swansea Vale RPS" - based at Six Pit in the lower Swansea Valley - again, evicted by the local authority in favour of an urban regeneration scheme.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Not quite a failure since it never got off the ground, but several times people have talked about the Andover to Ludgershall Line being resurrected as either a commuter line (very unlikely) or as a preservation line( slightly less unlikely). The Mod seem to have less and less use for it,  as both the Medical depot and the vehicle repair depot have been closed. Although the number of military personnel is going up, It's a long time since I've heard of a Military troop train...

Thanks, I'd never heard of this before. Strange choice though half the time the place is shrouded in mist, and all those gales driving salty sea air into all the stock!

I hadn't either. Interesting. Ravenscar is a strange place. You can still see the outline of where some Victorian entrepreneurs were going to build a development for folk who would use the newly built railway to commute.

Cheers, you mention sentimental journey a friend of mine owns 2051 that was in the film. Some other friends were going to buy it and restore it. Sunday he tells me he's sold it for spares.. Deep joy

What a shame, especially as it's got that history attached to it.

• RMweb Gold

If you go in the raven hall hotel there is actually Street map of the proposed town, it shows which houses were actually sold. This was in the hundreds if not thousands, makes you wonder why it didn't happen

2051 is going to be stripped of all parts so the shell will be left. So there is still hope

If you go in the raven hall hotel there is actually Street map of the proposed town, it shows which houses were actually sold. This was in the hundreds if not thousands, makes you wonder why it didn't happen

2051 is going to be stripped of all parts so the shell will be left. So there is still hope

There was a piece in 'Coast' on the BBC a few years ago which showed what had actually been started at Ravenscar; odd bids of roadway in the middle of nowhere, and similar.

Archived