RMweb

Maths problem

cromptonnut

Sorry for the potentially stupid question but I just can't get my head round this one.

What would N gauge track and stock represent in O gauge?

I think it works out at about 15" gauge, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

I think T scale works out at about O gauge in O gauge too?

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, remember that N gauge is not an accurate 4ft 8 1/2 in, so you need to work from the actual gauge of 9mm.

Quite easy, 9 / 7 gives the gauge in feet at 7mm scale: 1.2857....

Multiply that by 12 to give you inches = 15.43 inches - as near as dammit 15" gauge.

Martin

without working anything out I think it's more like 5" gauge.. my reasoning is that if N gauge is 9mm between rails and T gauge is 3mm

between rails then T gauge must be 3 times smaller than N... so if N = 15" in O gauge then T must be 5".. or close as...

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Converting 2mm to 7mm....

Any distance in 7mm will be 2/7 th in 7mm

So 4ft 8 1/2 ( 40.5 inches) would be (40.5/7)*2 = 11.5inches

I think...

What a complete idiot ( though you were all too polite to say so !)

Even assuming 2mm track is accurate, (4 x 12) + 8.5 is 56.5, then * (2/7) = 16.1 inches...

So I was well out.

15" minimum gauge or garden/estate railway trackwork in '0' gauge terms.

(It is sometimes refered to as 0n9)

Edit: If that is what you are thinking, this site may interest you,

http://forum.gn15.info/

Thanks for the link, although I fear it may lead me down more expensive ventures than intended - as often happens once I start looking into a new idea...

• RMweb Premium

9mm gauge is quite well established as a standard for modelling 15" gauge railways in 7mm scale  and there are several kits available.  The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association hassome excellent publications with drawings of stocke and structures adn there are at least two manufacturers of kits for stock that use certain N gauge components.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Even assuming 2mm track is accurate, (4 x 12) + 8.5 is 56.5, then * (2/7) = 16.1 inches...

So I was well out.

I think most people simply assumed, as I did, that you were using the traditional Cornish 8 inch "foot" (8 piskies = 1 pasty) and didn't want to risk inflaming ethnic tensions.

Thanks for the link, although I fear it may lead me down more expensive ventures than intended - as often happens once I start looking into a new idea...

I haven't started my '0' gauge layout yet, but am already thinking about a Gn15 micro using the '00' gauge stock I bought before realising I had to have a bigger scale. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For any one thinking of using N gauge or 00 track and parts should look at the work of Christopher Payne the 00 track was used with 1:25 scale ( approx 16inch). The very simple way to work out the effective gauges the scale ration for 0 is 1:43.5 so 9mm would be eqivalent to 391.5mm and from my tape measure that is near enough 15 and 3/8ths inches. Z gauge would probably make a good minature railway size for 0 gauge.

The use of N gauge in 0 does suggest a RH&DR or Ratty (R&ER) style line.

Don

So I was well out.

Were your calculations "Down the pan" Stubby?  :jester:

For any one thinking of using N gauge or 00 track and parts should look at the work of Christopher Payne the 00 track was used with 1:25 scale ( approx 16inch). The very simple way to work out the effective gauges the scale ration for 0 is 1:43.5 so 9mm would be eqivalent to 391.5mm and from my tape measure that is near enough 15 and 3/8ths inches. Z gauge would probably make a good minature railway size for 0 gauge.

The use of N gauge in 0 does suggest a RH&DR or Ratty (R&ER) style line.

Don

I've seen the same done in G scale (1:24) using HO scale locomotives on On30 track.

Archived