Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

ZTC 611 UPDATED CONTROLLER!

Referring to all the posts above about the use of the Brake rather than the Regulator to stop a train on a 511/611, and comparing that to a real steam loco where you'd close the regulator (which would make the loco 'coast' very gradually to a halt) and then apply the brake, surely the idea (only if you want to) is to set the TRAINS INERTIA LEVEL (not CV4 of the loco's decoder) to a very high value so that when you close the regulator the train only gradually slows, and then use the brake to stop your train, Ie like on the real thing.  To do this enter ...INTERIA value (120 maybe) ENTER R.  If you also save the "Current Roster" to the "Saved Roster" the inertia value set will saved too so will still be there against that loco when you power up next time.  Does any other DCC controller allow you to do this ?, I don't know.

Edited by Combe Martin

I forgot to mention on my post yesterday. ZTC Taunton Controls.  Will sell you a Memory stick for a £5 note.

This stick will be retained by ZTC. When an update is available the stick will uploaded and sent to you to download.

You then send it back to await the next one.  No messing about on the PC.

Referring to Coombe Martin. Interesting idea using inertia + the brake, will give that a go.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

i just received my upgraded 511 back on Weds upgraded to 611, on using my handheld controller it works very well however i have not worked out how to regain control at the master. I have tried setting the handheld to another loco number but the master still shows loco 3 no 2 slave and will not take control of it,any ideas as looking at the 611 handbook i have not worked out how to do it.

Thanks

Donald

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i've had my upgraded ZTC 611 since early March and have just received the upgrade to version 16 of the firmware!

interested to read all the comments her.

I've experienced a number of issues along the way, but one outstanding is that my controller won,t interrogate or reset CV's on Hornby decoders.

Using either point/ loco or preset/ loco method scans the selected CV but produces random values.

For instance the loco CV1 is 6, but shows all sorts of different values when interrogated, even thought the loco performs perfectly under control as loco!

Any ideas please? The loco has a factory fitted decoder.

Also I have problems with double heading. The input Loco/x loco/y Enter only works if you clear the number of the last loco under control. if the last loco number id left on the screen it won't accept the second loco number as the display then shows function on the second line.

again any help please?

regards.

Tom

• RMweb Gold

I would send this information to Graham so he can get the software boffin's to sort it out.

It does sound like there may be an issue.

Saying that it is a Hornby Decoder which isn't the greatest when it comes to programming or reading.

Cheers

Ian

Hi,

i've had my upgraded ZTC 611 since early March and have just received the upgrade to version 16 of the firmware!

interested to read all the comments her.

I've experienced a number of issues along the way, but one outstanding is that my controller won,t interrogate or reset CV's on Hornby decoders.

Using either point/ loco or preset/ loco method scans the selected CV but produces random values.

For instance the loco CV1 is 6, but shows all sorts of different values when interrogated, even thought the loco performs perfectly under control as loco!

Any ideas please? The loco has a factory fitted decoder.

Also I have problems with double heading. The input Loco/x loco/y Enter only works if you clear the number of the last loco under control. if the last loco number id left on the screen it won't accept the second loco number as the display then shows function on the second line.

again any help please?

regards.

Tom

Some Hornby decoders do not support reading CVs. The R8215, no longer a current model did not. Its replacement, the R8249 does support reading CVs as per the Hornby instruction leaflet, as does the Sapphire R8245. I don't know if the factory fitted non-sound decoders do support reading CVs as I buy the DCC ready models myself so that I can fit my choice of decoder. Were you able to read the CVs before the 611 upgrade?

Edited by GoingUnderground

Some Hornby decoders do not support reading CVs. The R8215, no longer a current model did not. Its replacement, the R8249 does support reading CVs as per the Hornby instruction leaflet, as does the Sapphire R8245. I don't know if the factory fitted non-sound decoders do support reading CVs as I buy the DCC ready models myself so that I can fit my choice of decoder. Were you able to read the CVs before the 611 upgrade?

Yes, my 511 was able to read and reset values to the CV's of Hornby chips

In this case, I'm only trying to read and reset CV1, which must always be possible or every loco would be No. 3

I also notice my 611 can't read or set CV10 on a Gaugemaster Opti chips ( CV 10 is the one that sets the speed step at which BEMF is switched off)

I would send this information to Graham so he can get the software boffin's to sort it out.

It does sound like there may be an issue.

Saying that it is a Hornby Decoder which isn't the greatest when it comes to programming or reading.

Cheers

Ian

yes Ian, i know, the Hornby chip isn't the best, but i've ended up with several of them.

The 611 seems to be completely unable to decipher the cv values. One of my Hornby chips runs perfectly as loco12, but when interrogated on the programme track returns cv1 as 17!

I'have taken my `Hornby chips to a good friend who uses a511 and they address, reset and run O.k.

O did tell graham about this over 2 months ago, but none of the upgrades since have made any improvement to the situation.

regards.

Tom,

• 2 months later...

At the risk of going over old ground I think that I am coming to another crossroads about whether I update my 511 controller to the new spec. I had nearly made up my mind that this was the route to go but now see that new boards are not going to be available until September having already been subject to another revision. Also of concern was the relative lack of activity on this thread for quite a few weeks and no overwhelming endorsement of 611 users.

To be honest I love my 511 and like its layout but like many other users would like more function keys available and would like to lose the few foibles of an early ZTC system. My concern is whether the firm has critical mass to sustain the issue of the 611. Still bear the scars from the early days of video recorders when opted for Betamax which was technically better but the market went VHS.

I am an 0 gauge modeler so need a minimum of 5 amps. I would also like a non tethered form of remote control if possible as operate into the garden. The latter is not essential but would be a consideration if a a complete system change was appropriate.

I realize that the merits of each system are a fairly personal thing but I would be interested in people's views. It may be that staying with what I know is the best option but every time I think that the decision has been made reason for another doubt surfaces. I am not indecisive just cannot make up my mind!!

Your thoughts and comments would be very welcome.

• RMweb Gold

I've not used my 611 much since buying it and there are still a few tweaks that I would like to see just to improve some of the operations.

We now have the handbook but as yet no full manual.

I've emailed Graham a few times to get clarification or pass on my findings but have not heard anything back.

It is a really nice controller to drive the trains, but there are better systems out there for programming and tweaking CV's

I still have to refer to the idiots guide as I can't remember how to do some of the things, although once I get the layout built and start using it properly, that should hopefully change.

It really is down to you, but if you are looking at a non tethered control then the upgrade cost could go a long way to a different controller which has the ability to have this feature.

Maybe asking Graham if they intend to release a wireless handset might just confirm your thoughts one way or another.

Cheers

Ian

True, because I have just looked at the new Piko SmartControl, which uses WiFi, and is light years ahead of the ZTC, at a similar price. BUT, you only have a giant, motorised knob (ooh, vicar) and a touch screen for all functions and no levers to use. It is like half an ECoS that you can walk around with, but has 5 amp power.Tricky.

However, a new British system "ACE" by Sig-na Trak is apparently only a few months away from release, which uses touch screen technology and, initially can use a tethered hand controller, but wireless hand controllers are promised. Only gives 3.5 amps, but can be used outdoors (their blurb says). No price yet but demo systems will be available at some of the main shows this autumn and winter. See separate thread or look at  http://rs.209492.mrsite.com/ACE_DCS2044_Flyer_V1_1.pdf .

I wish ZTC all the best, and may still consider the 611, but they have a lot of catching up to do. Not communicating with existing clients for two months does not bode well. The Sig-na Trak chap replied within hours to my further enquiries.

I've not used my 611 much since buying it and there are still a few tweaks that I would like to see just to improve some of the operations.

We now have the handbook but as yet no full manual.

I've emailed Graham a few times to get clarification or pass on my findings but have not heard anything back.

It is a really nice controller to drive the trains, but there are better systems out there for programming and tweaking CV's

I still have to refer to the idiots guide as I can't remember how to do some of the things, although once I get the layout built and start using it properly, that should hopefully change.

It really is down to you, but if you are looking at a non tethered control then the upgrade cost could go a long way to a different controller which has the ability to have this feature.

Maybe asking Graham if they intend to release a wireless handset might just confirm your thoughts one way or another.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian. Your thoughts are welcome but looking at some of your comments about things you are still waiting for has not dispelled my nagging doubts. I would have expected any manufacturer to have been on top of this by now. Whilst I am not in a hurry to dispense with the 511 the questions about long term future do not appear to have been resolved.

• RMweb Gold

They are only little things that I wanted clarification on and to make things clearer in the menu, which could be done but I don't know what other things are being worked on.

As I don't use it that often it's not really top of my list to chase up at the minute.

As for long term future, Graham does have a lot of plans including a new touch screen, which can be just plugged into the 611 when it's ready, although a long way off.

He has sold out of three batches of 611, he did say there were 40 in a batch so hopefully he and the investors are getting a return on their investment and will be able to progress forwards on the improvements.

The big problem is, as always is the case with these things is money, he had to start such a long way back due to the lack of development in the 511 that it's difficult to make further leaps without first getting the basic controller working correctly, which to me it does and from my limited use it does everything I've wanted it to do.

I can't really say anything further as nobody really knows what the future holds.

If your in no hurry then I would just wait and see what happens, you can still use the 511 and if you don't have issues stick with it for a bit longer and see what the future brings.

No point in rushing in to spend a lot of money.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

True, because I have just looked at the new Piko SmartControl, which uses WiFi, and is light years ahead of the ZTC, at a similar price. BUT, you only have a giant, motorised knob (ooh, vicar) and a touch screen for all functions and no levers to use. It is like half an ECoS that you can walk around with, but has 5 amp power.Tricky......

That's because it uses a rebadged ESU Mobile Control 2 handset, and the SmartBox base unit uses an the same housing as the ECoSBoost booster, the ESU Navigator base unit, the Dynamis base unit and the Dynamis Pro Box, so it's clearly been designed by ESU using ESU standard components where possible.

However, from the pictures that I've seen of the MC2 and Smartcontrol handset, the Piko one seems to use a different program to the MC2.

If you're thinking of getting the SmartControl, the ESU MC2 is delayed, again, until the autumn, so the SmartControl may be suffering similar delays as the retailer that I use is showing it as pre-order.

That's because it uses a rebadged ESU Mobile Control 2 handset, and the SmartBox base unit uses an the same housing as the ECoSBoost booster, the ESU Navigator base unit, the Dynamis base unit and the Dynamis Pro Box, so it's clearly been designed by ESU using ESU standard components where possible.

However, from the pictures that I've seen of the MC2 and Smartcontrol handset, the Piko one seems to use a different program to the MC2.

If you're thinking of getting the SmartControl, the ESU MC2 is delayed, again, until the autumn, so the SmartControl may be suffering similar delays as the retailer that I use is showing it as pre-order.

Indeed - the Piko unit uses an Android programme, which seems to suggest it will have more compatibility in future across other programmes, and suggests a reason for it being retailed at a much cheaper price (for a WiFi system).

Indeed - the Piko unit uses an Android programme, which seems to suggest it will have more compatibility in future across other programmes, and suggests a reason for it being retailed at a much cheaper price (for a WiFi system).

The MC2 and its twin, the SmartControl, are both android devices, just think of them as an android based tablet with a built in motorised throttle knob from an ECoS. AFAIK the hardware and operating system (i.e. Android) software is identical.  The difference is in the traijn/layout control app supplied with each.

In theory, you could load and run ESU's program on to the Piko version to use it with an ECoS, or load and run Piko's version of the software on to the MC2 to use it with the Piko SmartBox. Both will be able to download apps, programs, games etc from Google Play. Anything that you can do on an Android tablet you'll be able to do on the MC2/Smartcontrol handset.  The only thing you can't do is make phone calls on them usong the mobile phone network, but if you are in range of Wi-Fi and use Skype or a similar VOIP app then you can call folks.

Android tablets are so cheap these days that a mobile phone reseller offered one for free to someone I know when their new smartphone was late arriving.

Edited by GoingUnderground

Back to the 611, Has it fixed all the issues that so many of us found unbearable in the 505 and 511? Have any new bugs come to light? It sounds like there have been several changes to the firmware issued since it first went on sale. At least that's one thing in its favour, software bugs can now get fixed without sending it back for reprogramming. If it really is being produced in batches of 40, that's cottage industry volumes and the unit cost of manufacture will be quite high, so it may take a long time to recoup the development costs.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi,can anyone give me an update on the ZTC 611 please?

I took delivery of my upgraded 511 back in March 2015 and I'm now up to version 14 of the software updates.

A couple of months ago I read somewhere that Taunton had stopped the upgrade program to redesign the mother board and that they were hoping to restart upgrades in November.

I've heard nothing since.

Can anyone advise please on the current state of play?

regards.

Tommmason41

Hi,can anyone give me an update on the ZTC 611 please?

I took delivery of my upgraded 511 back in March 2015 and I'm now up to version 14 of the software updates.

A couple of months ago I read somewhere that Taunton had stopped the upgrade program to redesign the mother board and that they were hoping to restart upgrades in November.

I've heard nothing since.

Can anyone advise please on the current state of play?

regards.

Tommmason41

Did anyone visiting the Taunton stand at the NEC get answers to these questions? I didn't ask as I'd just have been wasting their time, but as a former ZTC 505 owner I'm curious to know the answers myself.