ZTC 611 UPDATED CONTROLLER!

• RMweb Gold

There are some issues. If you try to read a CV the old way it wont respond  all you will get is Zeros.

Having spoken to Graham he assures me all will sorted with the new manual, should be with us by 28 Feb.

Hi,

Did you ever manage to read back the CV's?

Have you got the new basic manual yet?

Cheers

Ian

Ian. No not yet. Its back in its box, no point in trying to fathom it out until I get the manual.

As for access to the functions, this works by entering 01 02 03 and so on, when you get to double digits then its 10, 11, 12 and so on.

So I am back using my spare 511 for now. Regards.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that.

I'm using mine on the layout, it works very well, need to experiment a bit with everything though.

I've programmed the DCC Concepts Cobalt Digital point motors with no problems.

I've also changed the direction in CV29 of one of my locos and that was a basic Hornby decoder.

I really do like the way you can see and change the individual bits of CV29, shame that I can't actually see what it's set to at the minute.

I've found most of the operations are the same as in the 511 manual.

What we seem to have both found out is there are also a few differences.

I believe the manual we will be sent is like a quick start guide, Graham and Pat are writing a new full manual which will be available online once it's been written.

Hopefully our start guides wont be too long away now, I know they are being printed and have different colours to make things clearer.

Had some help from Pat, try using the following sequence when on the programming track:-

PRESET - LOCO - CV number - ENTER R this should read the entered CV number.

I have found that you need to use this to read back the basic Hornby decoder.

You need to use the following to read back CV's on the Hornby Sapphire decoder:-

POINT - LOCO - CV Number - ENTER R.

I did read this in the 511 manual that you might need to use either POINT or PRESET depending on who made the decoder.

It's using two different modes for reading the CV's, Paged mode (when using POINT) and Direct mode(When using PRESET)

Its described at the end of the 511 manual, Chapter 15.

No idea what that all means technically, don't really need to, but I can read back CV's and it does show in CV29 which bits are on(1) or off (0)

Might be worth trying that to read back the CV's.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold

Just for information, this 511 is selling on Ebay ends tonight at 19.30.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181673794865

Could be a bargain, if it doesn't go too much higher.

Add to that say £210 or £235  for the upgrade to the 611 and it's still quite a saving on a new 611, the price of a loco anyway.

Oh and it looks like the first batch of 611's has now sold out, so no more until end of March.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold

Thats not much money at all!

Can any 511 owners scan the back page of the owners manual that has the list of the command key codes on it for me?

Drop me a PM and I can give you my email address.

I know there are a few differences to the 611 but most are the same and it will make it much easier to remember the combinations until I've got used it.

Thanks

Ian

Thats not much money at all!

Can any 511 owners scan the back page of the owners manual that has the list of the command key codes on it for me?

Drop me a PM and I can give you my email address.

I know there are a few differences to the 611 but most are the same and it will make it much easier to remember the combinations until I've got used it.

Thanks

Ian

Agreed, Not much money, but it is the same as I got for my old style 505 over 4 years ago. So either a bargain, or a reflection on what folks think is the true value of a new 611, i.e. around GBP325, (the GBP91 plus the GBP235 for the upgrade. Quite a way off the GBP470 asking price for a new one. 

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with that Keith.

It is still too much money, or should I say not that good value for money compared to the more feature rich ECoS but I really do like the controls of the ZTC and as I got a nice bonus I treated myself.

Obviously I could have bought the ECoS, but I didn't as I still prefer the 611 to operate and run the trains.

I also prefer the control levers to operate the points, the DCC concepts signal levers are a work of art and make it much more fun for me to operate the layout and they are quite expensive.

If the contents of the ECoS could be put inside the 611 box and the bigger display fitted, then I think that would be something special.

This is where I think Graham is trying to get to, and at least he's trying to bring the ZTC back up to a good standard; to where it should of been 5 years ago! unfortunately it's going to take time and cost money.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

Hi Ian,

Your comment, 'unfortunately it's going to take time and cost money' is right for both parties, the maker and customer. To get to the same level as the ECoS with a ZTC611 control lever will certainly cost the customer a right royal packet.

The ECoS is proving even better value for money at the moment due to the exchange rate being in our favour. But I do appreciate your preference for the lever control side of things for points and train control.

Even though I use and ECoS and RR&Co to control my layout it will also have a signal box that has the DCC Concept levers for points and signals as well a bell system that will work.

Several years (yes, several years) after sending in my 511 for repair, I now have my 611 at last. Trouble is in the meantime I have completely replaced the operating system on my layout with an ECoS, which I'm generally very happy with. Although there are a few aspects of the 511/611 which I prefer (the regulator style control mainly), I really don't think I'd want to go back to using the 611 as my main controller.

The question is what to do with the 611? I'm seriously considering putting it up for sale on here, along with the 622 handheld controls and accessory decoders.

You can slave the ZTC kit to the ECoS sniffer port and still use them.

As most ECoS users probably know, it is not a slave in the normally accepted sense of sharing a common database of locos and accessory decoders. Locos, routes and accessory decoder still have to be set up on the DCC system connected to the sniffer port and also set up on the ECoS. Operating a loco on the DCC system connected to the sniffer port will be reflected on the ECoS's knowledge of the speed and direction and function status for that loco, and likewise with any accessory decoder or route. But changes to a locos sped or direction or accessory position or route setting on the ECoS will not be picked up by the DCC system connected to the sniffer port. This is because the communication is one way, from the DCC system to the ECoS only and not vice versa.

• RMweb Gold

Ian. ( Traction )  Ian I notice you have programmed the DCC Concepts Point Motors.

Can you possibly tell me how you did it using the 611. Regards.

Hi,

It was actually really easy.

I'm using the Cobalt Digital motors.

Flick the switch on the motor to the programming side, then using the 611 just treated it like I was going to operate a point so.

POINT - [then the address number I want to give it] - ENTER R or L button.

Flick the switch back to run mode on the Cobalt and then tested as above.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

Hi Dave,

Did you pay for a repair or for the upgrade. The cost of repairs a few years ago must have been a tad cheaper than now.

I just paid for the upgrade Andy. Because of the upgrade (which was my only option really with the withdrawal of the 511), no repairs come into the equation.

Hi Dave,

Interesting, thanks.

At least you can use the driving console of the 611 through the snubber port on the ECoS if it has limited communication. May be worth it to have that experience, may be not. Could find better use of £250 at the moment. Having two ECoS to go at I ask myself if I need the 611 now. If I want to have a driving desk I have the 511 which will interface via the snubber port.

No rush for me. Will wait and give others a chance of an upgrade slot. It will be interesting to see what sales figures are like between new 611 and upgrade 511 to 611.

I've been hanging on for an ESU Mobile Control 11, which would be nice to have so that I can wander up and down the layout. It seems to have been delayed time and again though during the past year though (sound familiar?!).

Having the 611 as a slave is a possibility, but would I be able to control points set up on the ECoS using it?

Hopefully April for the ESU Mobile Control 2.

As Keith has said it needs everything setting up on both devices but its a one way system for communication. The ECoS knows what the 611 is doing but not the other way around. You could have the layout on the screen of the ECoS with points, routes, blocks etc and drive the trains via the 611.  

• RMweb Gold

Ian. Thanks for info. Did you get my PM ?

Yes Thanks and replied!

For information I have come up with this new ZTC 611 Command key chart.

It's only what I've found since playing about with it.

post-6745-0-19018500-1426078915_thumb.jpg

The main difference is the LOCK & FUNCTION and SYSTEM(0) buttons.

The SYSTEM button can't be pressed as a 1st key button, as it just operates Function 0, so this is removed from the chart.

Not too sure why the SYSTEM label is still shown on the controller, but it might become clear with the new guide.

Still haven't found a way to switch SIMULATION on/off as no matter what command key you press first, pressing the 9 button secondly just operates function 9.

There are obviously more things to go through and once the new guide is out, it will become clearer, but hopefully this should make it a bit easier.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold

Any idea yet as to when the operating guide will emerge? It is obviously late. It does seem strange to sell the hardware without instructions?

We should of had it on the 28th but obviously it's delayed, they want to get them right is what I've heard.

To be honest, you can use the 611 without too much problem.

I've programmed CV's and set up the Cobalt Digital point motors and it even runs trains :)   so everything I need it for is working OK

I can't answer why the instructions weren't sorted before the 611 was released but we still wouldn't have the 611 if we had to wait for them and in fairness it is actually usable.

It's a difficult call as there has been I'm guessing a considerable amount of investment to get the 511 upgraded to the new 611 so you would want to try and get them sold and out ASAP, to try and start bringing some money back in.

We don't help either wanting things straight away.

We will get them at some point.

Its a shame the Taunton Controls web site doesn't get updated with this information more regularly as it then leaves customers in this speculation/limbo arena.

It seems many owners have to call the helpline for more information and updates about what's happening and we all end up getting little snippets of information from owners who have called.

Graham has stated he wants to provide great customer service and support, not keeping customers informed isn't really the way to go about it.

Yes there is the helpline but we shouldn't need to be calling this all the time to find out information as basic as when the instructions will be available for a new controller!

To stop this I would have tried to update the Taunton Controls website to keep customers informed of what's happening and rough time-scales.

This would hopefully have stopped and I'm guessing here, phone calls to the helpline about when the guide will be ready and would allow them to get on with other things.

The last update was 17.02.2015 saying they don't have the new Handbook but it will be posted out once it arrives. That's a long time ago with no further information of what's happening.

I know that they are busy with upgrades but with ZTC's past history this lack of communication really isn't going to help matters.

We shall see.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction
  • Like 1

In an ideal world, Ian's chart should have been part of the specification for the new system, and the manual ought to have been prepared whilst the developers were writing the software. But resources were probably limited and the manual was put to the back of the queue as manuals won't get back the investment in the 611 hardware and software.

It would, IMHO, be just as easy for Taunton to publish the manual on their web site for download in PDF form, and for users who needed a printed copy instead to phone and ask for one. That way it would save time and money organising the print run and users who are computer literate get their hands on the manual much faster.