LNER diagram 63 mineral wagons converted for merchandise use

Dear all,

Just looking at a spare parkside 7-plank mineral and wondering if the LNER wartime conversions to merchandise wagons would have lasted to BR days in this condition, or if they were re-converted to their original form after the war as more genuine merchandise wagons came on stream? Tatlow has details on numbers and a clear picture but what happened after the war is unrecorded. I don't recall seeing any published pictures post-1948 - can anyone help?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I've no idea if any were re-converted, but the conversions certainly lasted into BR days.   Off the top of my head there is a photo in British Railways Steam in Retrospect by Eric Oldham showing at least one of these wagons (or other wagon similarly converted) in a 4F-hauled freight train at Chinley.  I think it was dated 1953.  I've just picked up at random The LMS Remembered by Whiteley & Morrison and that has a view of a 7F at Marsden (plate 149) with what looks like one of the wagons you are after immediately behind the tender  dated 1957.  Once you start looking you'll see them as they stand out in photos much more clearly than wagons with just the reduced height London plank.

I'm sure I've read somewhere (one of the Wild Swan 4mm wagon books?) if not actually seen photographic confirmation of them still being used for coal on occasion as well despite the alterations.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I may be wrong but next to the 3F in the photo in post 233 on this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-12-april-from-1947-to-1955ish/page-10&do=findComment&comment=1013106

there appears to be an example of the LMS equivalent of what you are after.

Simon

I did one a few years ago... the only picture I can find is upside down (I think I was illustrating S & W fitting). You can see the missing plank above the door, though. I did find pictures of another wartime conversion which you don't often see modelled either.

rch_sw_zps1ac099ab.jpg

100_2626_zps69f0fb99.jpg

All based on the Parkside kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived