If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

A new member from over the water (Belgium)

alderson.eric.j

Hello there, first time I come around here, so I think it's time for me to introduce myself.

My name is Eric, I'm 43 and live on the other side of the Channel (Liège, Belgium, near the German and Dutch borders). 

I'm involved in railway modelling since I was a kid (I got my first train set as I was five) and entered a club in 1987 (I'm still member in that club at the time, being even one of the administrators and one of the "teachers" (weathering and structure scratchbuilding techniques).

Also, I've written several articles for my club's Bulletin (you can see them on the club's Website : http://www.alaf.be), in a Belgian modelling magazine (Train Miniature Magazine) and lastly in the MRC "Bulletin" (http://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/Documents/Bulletin%20469.pdf), pages 4 to 7...

I'll also post here a few pictures of my weathering work.

536973_589608344398701_948610773_n.jpg

This is an "Old" Airfix model I weathered to depict a BR engine in the late 60's. 

523301_589339034425632_1551097227_n.jpg

This one is a picture of an old "Jouef" model of a French steam locomotive of the "Etat" railway company reused as a shunter by a coal mine somewhere in the north of France... 

73746_590293594330176_908263268_n.jpg

And finally a model (by Roco Austria) of a Begian State Railways tank engine (class 96) in a "end of life" state, shunting good wagons. The cobbelstone paving was handmade (carved with a X-acto knife and a paper pen in some foam sheed we find in France under the brand "Dépron") 

Oh, just a last information : all weatherings are made only with brushes (I rarely use my airbrush for weathering OO or HO models, but more for paint jobs or to weather larger scale models for friends or customers of my small business called "Ricky Models"...) I paint and weather using only acrylic paints, mainly from the ranges of Vallejo (Model Color, Model Air, Train Color, Model Wash & Chipping Medium) and from Life Color. 

Before leaving, I'll just say that I'm actually working on a book explaining all the techniques I use to weather my models (should be published either at the end of this year or in 2014. 

Signing off for now (have to got back to work on the book...),

Ricky.

Thanks, guys.

I'll try to post some more pictures of my work in the Weathering and Scratchbuilding topics later this week (may take time, as I'm quite busy between the work on my book and lot of work at the office with an art exhibition web catalogue to create...

Yet, a last picture of my work to help you wait : a low-relief city house I made for my club's layout. It's base is made in VPC Sheed from Palight, some Slaters & Evergreen plasticard, Kibri roofing sheet and of course painted and weathered with Vallejo Model Air acrylics.

775633_106705779508945_127265444_o.jpg

More coming soon...

Ricky.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ricky and welcome,

I might just have to buy your book as weathering, and painting in general, are big weaknesses I have in this hobby.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Kev.

Thanks Guys. 

To Kev (SHMD) : About weathering, don't worry, it's easy to learn how to do it. Just try first with some inexpensive small good wagons (simple MOGO's or 5-plank open wagons are a perfect starter, or even a cattle wagon to learn how to weather wood...). If you have any question, I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

Archived