LNER Teak on the WR in 1957

DaveArkley

Does anyone have photographic evidence for Teak Gresleys on the WR as late as 1957, or evidence of their demise on the route if earlier.

In particular I'm interested in Teak buffets still in use?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I can remember using the line back in 1956 but I don' t recall ever seeing 'teaks'. Repainted  Gresley's in Blood and Custard and in Carmine but not with a 'teak finish'.

In fact I used to seek out the Gresley's because I thought they gave a better ride,

Roy

Does anyone have photographic evidence for Teak Gresleys on the WR as late as 1957, or evidence of their demise on the route if earlier.

In particular I'm interested in Teak buffets still in use?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I can remember using the line back in 1956 but I don' t recall ever seeing 'teaks'. Repainted  Gresley's in Blood and Custard and in Carmine but not with a 'teak finish'.

In fact I used to seek out the Gresley's because I thought they gave a better ride,

Roy

Roy,

My earliest memories of train rides in the North East in the mid 60s are of wooden paneled carriages - didn't know it at the time but I guess they were Gresleys. I always thought the steel coaches (which I guess were Mark 1s) looked somewhat plain after them.

Since I was a child then I don't remember ride quality - too busy hanging out the door windows!

Cheers

Dave

Roy,

My earliest memories of train rides in the North East in the mid 60s are of wooden paneled carriages - didn't know it at the time but I guess they were Gresleys. I always thought the steel coaches (which I guess were Mark 1s) looked somewhat plain after them.

Since I was a child then I don't remember ride quality - too busy hanging out the door windows!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

My guess would be that some of the more obscure lines in the North-East had old LNER or even NER coaches cascaded down to them e.g. Border Counties, Wansbeck, NCR leaving the cream of the stock for the W.R.

But then I have been known to be wrong, all too frequently I'm afraid.

Roy

Hi Dave,

My guess would be that some of the more obscure lines in the North-East had old LNER or even NER coaches cascaded down to them e.g. Border Counties, Wansbeck, NCR leaving the cream of the stock for the W.R.

But then I have been known to be wrong, all too frequently I'm afraid.

Roy

Earlier today I stumbled upon some notes I made circa 1962 from the train register at Riccarton South giving a typical day's workings through Riccarton in 1957-8. If these are of any interest I'll try to post them on a spreadsheet if not I won't bother, please let me know.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dave,

There are plenty of photographs in Waverley route books showing Gresley gangwayed stock in in use on both stopping and express services well into the 1960's. These have been repainted in either crimson and cream or maroon by the period you mention though. Two examples can be seen on page 33 of David Cross' ' Last Years of the Waverley Route' (OPC 2010), the first of which shows two Gresley corridor coaches behind D49/1 'Dumbartonshire' (Note the incorrect spelling, it was like this on the locomotive nameplates) and the second of which shows a Gresley 3rd in crimson and cream behind a B1. Photograph no 111 in Roger Siviter's 'Waverley - Portrait of a Famous Route' shows a four coach rake with all but one of them being of the Gresley gangwayed family. While I can't find a picture with a date of exactly 1957, there are pictures taken in '56 and earlier showing Gresleys and '58 and later showing the same. i think it's more than safe to say they definitely would be seen in 1957 on the route.

I had a look this afternoon through my library of Waverley route books to see if I could spot any evidence of Gresley buffets in rakes, however I cannot see any evidence of them in any of the books I have.

Earlier today I stumbled upon some notes I made circa 1962 from the train register at Riccarton South giving a typical day's workings through Riccarton in 1957-8. If these are of any interest I'll try to post them on a spreadsheet if not I won't bother, please let me know.

Roy

Yes please, Roy.  That would be extremely useful for our virtual 'data room.'  I'm sorry I have not been on this thread for a few weeks so hadn't seen your kind offer.

There are plenty of photographs in Waverley route books showing Gresley gangwayed stock in in use on both stopping and express services well into the 1960's. These have been repainted in either crimson and cream or maroon by the period you mention though. Two examples can be seen on page 33 of David Cross' ' Last Years of the Waverley Route' (OPC 2010), the first of which shows two Gresley corridor coaches behind D49/1 'Dumbartonshire' (Note the incorrect spelling, it was like this on the locomotive nameplates) and the second of which shows a Gresley 3rd in crimson and cream behind a B1. Photograph no 111 in Roger Siviter's 'Waverley - Portrait of a Famous Route' shows a four coach rake with all but one of them being of the Gresley gangwayed family. While I can't find a picture with a date of exactly 1957, there are pictures taken in '56 and earlier showing Gresleys and '58 and later showing the same. i think it's more than safe to say they definitely would be seen in 1957 on the route.

I had a look this afternoon through my library of Waverley route books to see if I could spot any evidence of Gresley buffets in rakes, however I cannot see any evidence of them in any of the books I have.

Thanks Colin.

It sounds like you have the same WR library available as I do. I agree there is a lot of evidence in those books and online of Gresleys in both crimson and cream or maroon livery both sides of 1957.

I'm looking for an excuse to run a teak liveried Gresley buffet on my layout which purports to be 1957 based. I guess I'll invoke rule 1 and run it anyway, but a photograph to support would be helpful. I live in hope, the good folk of this SIG magicked up a photo of an 8F on passenger service at Hawick after much searching...

Cheers

Dave

Archived