So I'm in Paignton for a week...

cromptonnut

• RMweb Gold

Got into Newton Abbott about 3pm and waited there for half an hour and sadly no sign of the train, not sure if it was running early (I saw someone leaving the platform with a video camera as we arrived) or if it was running late as everything else seemed to be running between 30 and 60 minutes late.

Never mind, another year perhaps...

In fact, it did run down about 40 mins early or so, it's booked to be looped further up (Tiverton Jct, I think), but sometimes, if other trains are running out of course and the signalman can find a good margin at Newton Abbot, they let it down early. Of course, it's impossible to tell in advance whether this will happen or not...

Pity you weren't able to hang around just a little longer, because at around 1545 - 1600 hrs (probably not much later than that) 56105 would have come down light engine from Teignbridge and stabled in the bay platform overnight. It was certainly there a bit later when I went past, and will remain there until tomorrow morning.

If you are able to visit the station again tomorrow (Thurs), there is another chance to see the fully loaded train, at the times I posted above. Failing that, if you are able to drive the couple of miles out of Newton Abbot to Teignbridge tomorrow morning, then you'll be able to watch them loading the actual train.

All depends how the medication goes, I've gone down with a dose of manflu again (as always seems to happen when I go on holiday) and can barely stop coughing enough to breathe.  SWMBO raided Asda earlier (not literally) and picked up some Beechams, Strepsils, cough syrup and a rather nice curry which we had for tea this evening so it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

We ended up travelling over to Dawlish for an hour or so, for something to do, and sat on the sea wall watching a few trains go by.  Bit stormy but pleasant enough.  I said it was a nice journey along the sea wall so she suggested perhaps a trip up to Exeter on the train.  We had thought about getting the bus down to Paignton station but I wonder whether the short drive to Newton Abbot might be in order for parking there instead, sadly it's the same rip-off price (£6.10) as Paignton so the only advantage of a trip to NA is photting the grid.

How do I sell that to her though...?

Never mind, we were looking for something to do so SWMBO suggested a steam train ride along the coast but the satnav couldn't find the carpark and we missed the train by 5 minutes.

So I suggested a trip to Exeter along the coast the other way and she agreed, we hopped on an HST going up and a 150/1 coming back.

She enjoyed the view, I enjoyed the ride.

• RMweb Gold

Never mind, we were looking for something to do so SWMBO suggested a steam train ride along the coast but the satnav couldn't find the carpark and we missed the train by 5 minutes.

So I suggested a trip to Exeter along the coast the other way and she agreed, we hopped on an HST going up and a 150/1 coming back.

She enjoyed the view, I enjoyed the ride.

I hope you had a trip to Exeter Central station (The best station)!!

Ian

Archived