RAILEX NE 2013 - The North East Model Railway Exhibition - 24th & 25th August

North Eastern

post-3910-0-86070200-1368902147_thumb.jpg

Welcome to Rail Ex North East 2013, organised by the Blyth & Tyne Model Railway Society. This is our 45th show we have organised and the 4th at the Parks Sport Centre.

As regular visitors to the exhibition will be aware, we have continuously been trying to improve the quality of the layouts which are on display each year. It is therefore pleasing to hear the comments from visitors’ that it is something we have been accomplishing. Hopefully we have achieved the same standard or improved again this year.

This year the Exhibition will be officially opened by David Bavaird, Chairman of North Shields Chamber of Trade. We will have up to 40 layouts, representing layouts with a British theme and layouts from around the world ranging from N to O Gauge. We hope they will cover an area that is of particular interest to you or show you something out of the ordinary that will inspire you in your latest modelling project. This year we have two layouts from overseas – ‘The Shop’ an American layout based in the 1960/70’s & 'Kennesaw 1863' an American Civil War layout both by Ronald Halma from the Netherlands.

We also have 13 Demonstrations, covering most aspects of modelling and displays in Meccano. Also this year we have numerous layouts and demonstrations showing the latest technology in Model Railways – Digital Command Control (DCC). Please take your time to visit all parts of the Exhibition, and ask the exhibitors as many questions as you like. We also have a fine array of Local and National Trade support this year, supplying the railway modeller with just about everything they need, so please give them your support.

A wide range of food and refreshments are provided by the Sports Centre catering staff in the Cafe. Stop by for some refreshments and a bite to eat whilst you take a break from watching the trains go by. There is also a free soft play area for children next to the Cafe.

This year we have our usual Tombola. This way you get your prizes straight away. There are many fine prizes this year including Loco’s donated by Hornby and Dapol. So please stop by admire the prizes and buy a ticket or two. There is also our usual stand of used magazines available for a donation.

Special thanks must go to North Tyneside Council for their invaluable support in helping us arrange this exhibition at The Parks Sport Centre and to Booklaw Publications for their continued support.

Also thanks must go to all the Exhibitors for supporting the show and the Traders for their continued support in the programme and the show.

Please take the time to fill in the Questionnaire your comments are important to us. This will enable us to continue to improve the exhibition for your continued enjoyment for years to come. Also don’t forget to vote for your favourite layout on the questionnaire. This form can be left at the entrance desk.

The winner of the Chairman’s Trophy awarded by North Tyneside Mayor Linda Arkley was ‘Alloa’ and the most favourite layout for 2012 voted by you was ‘Alloa’ and the winner for the best ‘2mm/N Gauge layout’ in memory of Bill Hildreth voted by you was ‘Springfield Spa’

Special thanks go to Howard Foster, Chris Campbell, Ian Falcus & Peter Robinson for their kind support in allowing us to use their photographs for our posters.

Finally we must thank Tony Morrissey the Sports Centre Manager and his Team for all their sterling work this weekend. They must be thinking what have they let themselves in for.

Once again we hope you have an enjoyable time at the exhibition and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Parks Sport Centre on 23rd & 24th August 2014 for next year’s Rail Ex North East Show.

Chris Stafford,

Exhibition Manager.

2mm & N Gauge

1) Highbury Colliery - SDJR 1920's - 2mm
Jerry Clifford - 3m x 1m.
2) Fence Houses - BR(NE) 1960's - 2mm
Bob Jones (Blyth & Tyne MRS) - 12m x 3m
3) Law Junction - 1990's to Present - N Gauge
East Neuk MRC - 8m x 2m
4) North of England Line - 1930's to 1940's & 1950's to 1960's - N
Scarborough & District MRC - 5.5m x 1m
5) Imperial Yard - 2000 to Present - N Gauge
Pete Latham - 2.5m x 1m
6) Blyth - BR(NE) 1960's - N Gauge
Ed Orwin (Blyth & Tyne MRS) - 1.5m x 0.5m

HO Gauge

7) The Shop - American 1960/70
Ronald Halma - 1.5m x 0.5m
8) Kozel Cement - Czech Epoch V/VI
Alan Wardman - 1.8m x 0.5m

9) Austrageous - German 1980's

Gordon Redpath & Harry Patterson (Blyth & Tyne MRS) -

009 Gauge

10) Crumley & Little Wickhill - 1930's
Hull Miniature Railway Society - 5m x 5m
11) Cliffhanger - Glenthorne Harbour Railway 1935

Ivan Grigoryevich Romodanovsky-Lodyzhensky  - 5m x 2m

EM - P4 Gauge

12) Wibdenshaw - BR(M) 1970's - EM Gauge
Kier Hardy - 11m x 4m
13) Stainmore Summit - BR(NE) 1950's - EM Gauge
Richard Nice - 11m x 4m
14) Round Trees Sidings - BR/Metro 1980's - EM Gauge
Blyth & Tyne MRS - 10m x 3m
15) Trerice - BR(W) 1958/60 - P4 Gauge
Ian Rice - 3m x 1m
16) West Pinfold - LNER 1930/40's - P4 Gauge
Dave Thurlwell - 6m x 2.5m

OO Gauge

17) Haymarket Cross - BR(NE) 1961/62
Scarborough & District MRS - 6.7m x 1m
18) Bradfield Gloucester Square - BR(M) 1962
Tring & District MRC - 5m x 1m
19) Eaton Gomery - Cambrian Railway 1908
Peter Thomas - 13.5m x 0.5m
20) Ravenscar Pier - Tramway 1900's
Gordon & Margaret Bulmer - 1.5m x 0.5m
21) Trenance - BR(W) & BR(S) 1955 to 1960
Nigel Mann - 4m x 5m
22) Bedlam Heath - BR(S) 1980's
George Woodcock - 4m x 2m
23) Hazelbury Yard - BR(NE) 1950/60's
Alan Davies (Blyth & Tyne MRS) - 6m x 1m
24) Barnwood Junction - BR(M) 1989
Martyn Normanton - 8m x 3m
25) Eaglesham - Caledonian Railway 1912
Bill Auld - 6m x 1m
26) Midhurst - Southern Railway 1930's
Tony Bates - 12.5m x 8.5m
27) Great Waterton - Isle of Sodor Layout
George Johnson Jnr (Blyth & Tyne MRS) -
28) Thomas & Friends
Donald Warrander (Blyth & Tyne MRS) -

1:55n3

29) Kennesaw 1863 - American Civil War

Ronald Halma - 1.5m x 0.5m

O.16.5

30) Picture This - Welsh Narrow Gauge
Brian Wilson - 2.6m x 1m

Fn3

31) Orange River - American 1930's
Dr Brandon Evans - 13m x 1m

On30

32) Grass Valley - American 1930's
Peter Smith - 6m x 1m

O Gauge

33) Craster - BR(NE) - 1950/60's
Dale Brunskill (Blyth & Tyne MRS) - 9m x 1.5m
34) Teeside Steel - NE Steel Works 1950/60's
Jeff Wetherell - 6m x 1m
35) Cascade East Yard - American 1970/90's
Dave Thomson - 4m x 1m
36) Lower Pick Purse - GWR 1930's
Dave Jackson - 4m x 1m
37) Tummell VIII - BR(SC) 1959
Allan Parker - 6.8m x 1m

Demonstrations

1. North East Meccano Society.
2. Tree Building by Jacqui Perrat.
3. 4mm Loco Building by Peter Stanger.
4. 4mm Wagon Building by Phil Carss.
5. North East Finescale Group.
6. NER Coal Staiths by David Fraser.
7. 2mm Road Show by 2mm Association.
8. EM Gauge Society.
9. A.M.R.S.S Model Rail - Scotland.
10. OO Gauge Buildings by Dave Young.
11. Loco & Rolling Stock Painting & Weathering by Lee Edmondson
12. Slide Show by Dave Dunn.
13. Card Buildings Modelling by Brian Taylor (Smart Models).

Traders

1. Pooleys Puffers.
2. Book Law.
3. Town Foot.
4. R.C.T.S.
5. Conti-Kits.
6. Durham Trains of Stanley.
7. Alexander Models.
8. Skytrex.
9. Ten Commandments.
10. DCC Supplies.
11. Nairnshire Modelling Supplies.
12. Squires Tools & Crafts.
13. Picture Pride Displays Ltd.
14. North Road Models
15. Lord & Butler (Dirty Boy Weathering).
16. County Rolling Stock.
17. Tanfield Railway.
18. 76084 Locomotive Company Limited.
19. Railwayana Auctions UK LTD - http://www.ukrailwayana.com
20. Black Cat Technology.
21. Footplate Models.
22. Elite Baseboards - New for 2013
23. Friends of the G5 Locomotive - New for 2013
24. Videoscene - New for 2013
25. Penduke Models - New for 2013

26. Trackside Signs - New for 2013

27. Ceynix Trees - New for 2013

28. Penketh Models - New for 2013

Don't stay at home come along and play trains with us.

Hi Chris and thanks for the post. I'm hoping to finally make a visit this year and am looking forward to the show.

In view of Bradfield Gloucester Square's recent change of ownership, can you please confirm that the layout will definitely be attending as I understand that for the moment the new owners may be unable to carry out some pre-booked appearances due to the travelling distances involved and possible conflict with their own existing exhibition commitments.

Jim

Hi Chris and thanks for the post. I'm hoping to finally make a visit this year and am looking forward to the show.

In view of Bradfield Gloucester Square's recent change of ownership, can you please confirm that the layout will definitely be attending as I understand that for the moment the new owners may be unable to carry out some pre-booked appearances due to the travelling distances involved and possible conflict with their own existing exhibition commitments.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the post, I am waiting for the booking form to be returned by the new owners (Tring & District MRC) who are keen to come. So fingers crossed there are no hiccups.

Regards

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Confirmed for this year are 'Ceynix Trees' & Jacqui Perrat will also be doing a tree building demo.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Tring & District MRC have confirmed they will definitely be attending with 'BGS'.

Regards

Chris

• RMweb Gold

We are heading up to this show and are really looking forward to it. Its the furthest north we've been from our base down in the West country. With our little Somerset colliery we really are taking coals to Newcastle!

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Latest update 'Alec's Wharf' has been replaced by 'Kennesaw 1863', 1:55n3 Gauge and 'Upton Fenney' has been replaced by 'Austrageous' HO Gauge.

Also confirmed for this year are 'Penketh Models'.

The main listing has been updated to reflect the changes.

Regards

Chris

Hello

Bedlam Heath  will be making the long journey north bringing a little 'Southern' comfort with it.

Cheers

George  

• RMweb Premium

Chris

What is the best way to go to the venue from Newcastle main train station? Metro? From which Metro station to which near the venue, please? And do you buy a single ticket or a return ticket? On the Metro train, or on the platform?

John

Chris

What is the best way to go to the venue from Newcastle main train station? Metro? From which Metro station to which near the venue, please? And do you buy a single ticket or a return ticket? On the Metro train, or on the platform?

John

Hi,

I'd say Metro. Meadow Well station is probably closest to the venue, you'd get on at Newcastle Central then change at the next stop, Monument, for the coast to Meadow Well. Tickets machines are on the way to the platform, I think you'll need a two zone daysaver (equivalent to a return).

I'm not sure what buses there are going that way.

Chris

John

Hi John,

If you take the Metro from Central Station and change at Monument and take a Coast Metro to Meadow Well. Alight here and walk under the bridge and then turn left and walk through the park to the sports centre which is about 5 to 10 min walk.

You can buy a ticket at a machine before you get on the platform and buy either a single or return.

Please see attached Metro map.

Metro_Map_3rd_A4.pdf

Regards

Chris

Hi All,

Unfortunately the NE Branch of M.E.R.G have had to pull out of this years show due to unavailability of its members.

We also welcome the Association of Model Railway Societies Scotland (Model Rail - Scotland in the SECC Glasgow) who will be promoting their forthcoming show, 21st, 22nd & 23rd February 2014. Full details on their website - http://www.modelrail-scotland.co.uk/index.html

Original listing now updated, floor plan will follow shortly.

Regards

Chris

"Quote - The winner of the Chairman’s Trophy awarded by North Tyneside Mayor Linda Arkley was ‘Runswick Bay’ and the most favourite layout for 2012 voted by you was ‘Runswick Bay’"

Wasn't this 2011, don't mean to brag but weren't these awards given to "Alloa" in 2012?

"Quote - The winner of the Chairman’s Trophy awarded by North Tyneside Mayor Linda Arkley was ‘Runswick Bay’ and the most favourite layout for 2012 voted by you was ‘Runswick Bay’"

Wasn't this 2011, don't mean to brag but weren't these awards given to "Alloa" in 2012?

Sorry, typing error has crept in I thought I had changed them oops!! :O  Now changed :D

Regards

Chris

66 and 67 is Scarborough row then. Looks like I'll get the chance to do some cross gauging over the weekend. Anyone welcome to stop by and have a chat. Great to see Bradfield Gloucester Square will be there and also Highbury Colliery which are very worthy of a close up viewing. There is also lots that I've yet to see, so I'm really looking forward to this show. All for a fiver. What fantastic value!

Hi All,

Please find attached our floor plan for the exhibition. Hopefully this is the final one and there isn't anymore changes.

attachicon.gifexhibition plan 2013 a4.jpg

Regards

Chris

Hi All,

Just when I thought I had the floor plan finalised the very nice Mr Jerry Clifford of 'Highbury Colliery' PM me to say I had not allocated him enough space (Whoops!!!).

So the pencil and rubber came out and after a bit of shuffling, Highbury Colliery is now next to Fence Houses, so we now have a 2MM row as well.

Hopefully this is the last version as Brian Taylor one of our members who transfers the plan from my scribbles to the image you see here is pulling his hair out with the last minute changes. Oh the joys of organising a model railway exhibition.

post-3910-0-20316300-1375802338_thumb.jpg

Regards

Chris

Two weeks to go and hopefully the programme will be ready to send to the printers soon. Still have a few last minute details to sort out but everything seems to be coming together.

Hope to see as many RMwebbers as possible, please make yourself known, I'll be the slightly stressed and possibly hysterical person, so shouldn't be hard to spot me.

Regards

Chris

Hi All,

One week to go!!!!!!!!

The programme has been sent to the printers, so hopefully there will be no more alterations. Monday will see me putting out our large metal road signs advertising the show along the A19 North & South bound as well as towards the venue. 

Regards

Chris

Archived