Posting Pictures on RMweb

Dear All,

I would like to post some pics in various topics (as I used to in the past - it used to work OK on my previous computer - I'm on Vista now BTW) and after spending a lot of time searching through the Forum Rules bit, I found Mr. Beastie's description of what to do and did a download of Irfanview. If the dowload was successful, I have no idea where it has gone to or how to access it. All I seem to have done is alter my web search browser page which I didn't want to do anyway. Has anybody got the vaguest idea of what I have done wrong please?

Thanks Dave. I have looked at the Downloads in 'My Computer' but can't find anything about 'Irfanview' anywhere. When I tried the download it said it was completed and thenasked me if I wanted to update/alter something else (I didn't) and clicked on 'Cancel'. Could that have cancelled the whole lot I wonder?

• RMweb Gold

Basic steps to get started - check you've done these.

Download Irvanview - if your browswer asks where to save it, put it on the desktop for now.

Double click the downloaded file - iview435_setup.exe

This should start the installation.

• RMweb Gold

I am confused by the title of the thread "Posting" and "downloading" in the gist of what's being discussed. Do you want to add pictures and photos to RMweb or do you want to take pictures and photos off RMweb and put them on to your own computer?

I am confused by the title of the thread "Posting" and "downloading" in the gist of what's being discussed. Do you want to add pictures and photos to RMweb or do you want to take pictures and photos off RMweb and put them on to your own computer?

Hi Rowsley (I've been there this morning!),

What I would like to do is what it says in the thread title and POST pictures ONTO RMweb. There are size limitations on what you can post which means I must resize the images. The nominated program to enable me to do this must be DOWNLOADED from the interweb to my desktop computer, that's where it gets complicated (for me anyway). Pinching pics OFF RMweb to my computer, I can manage.

I hope this clarifies what I want to do.

Then to try what Beastie says in post #4.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

The nominated program to enable me to do this must be DOWNLOADED from the interweb to my desktop computer, that's where it gets complicated (for me anyway).

Hi Bruce,

You don't need to download the IrfanView program if you don't want to. RMweb has it's own online image editor which can resize images. Click the Image Editor button at the top of every page:

post-1103-0-38395400-1366205729.png

Martin.

When I tried the RMweb Image Editor, I got a message "The image must first be rasterized to be editable." Which wasn't particularly helpful. I suspect it can handle only jpg input?

Btw, how does one determine the name of a file uploaded to a gallery?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bruce,

Here is how to use the online Image Editor:

1. click this:

post-1103-0-67116500-1366207582.png

2.Find the picture on your computer and click on it:

post-1103-0-13870800-1366207581_thumb.png

It will open in the editor.

3. If you wish you can add a copyright notice, or any other text or mark-up. Click the A button on the left and add your text in the box which appears:

post-1103-0-04749600-1366207579_thumb.jpg

4. Click Image size in the Image menu:

post-1103-0-89011400-1366207575_thumb.jpg

5. Set the required size in the box which appears. 800 x 600 is good for general pics:

post-1103-0-71184800-1366207572.png

6. Click Save... in the File menu:

post-1103-0-80201000-1366207570.png

7. Choose My Computer as the destination. If it is a photo from a camera, choose JPEG as the format. Slide the Quality compression control until the image size shows as less than about 250KB. Click OK:

post-1103-0-35909600-1366207567.png

8. You can then choose where you want to save it on your computer. And finally upload it to RMweb:

post-1103-0-06070400-1366208378.jpg

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

When I tried the RMweb Image Editor, I got a message "The image must first be rasterized to be editable." Which wasn't particularly helpful. I suspect it can handle only jpg input?

It's the same name as the one you save it under on your own pc. On my Black 5 thread I saved the pictures I took with the file name Black 5 - (number) and that's the name they appear as on RMweb.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Russ,

You mean the URL? Right-click on the image. Click Direct link to this image file. The image URL is then in the address bar.

The Image Editor accepts all common bitmap (raster) formats. You must have been trying a vector file such as EMF, PDF, DXF, etc.

Martin.

You mean the URL? Right-click on the image. Click Direct link to this image file. The image URL is then in the address bar.

Ah yes. Now found that. I believe however that the RMweb system now renames the file (from a couple of upgrades ago) to its own reference number. It seems to work ok now, and I don't know why I got the previous message - I wasn't trying a vector file.

What I found a bit difficult was inserting an image into a blog comment, which can only be done via a gallery (accessible via 'My Media'), and there seems to be a width constraint on images inserted into blog comments. 

Archived