Triang/Hornby Freightliner Wagons

I have a number of old triang/Hornby freightliner wagons, all of which have "chunky" wheels ( an understatement if ever there was one!) Obviously they are not good on modern points, so I would ask the following:-

What diameter are they ?

Where would I source replacements?

Over to you, guys

Drew

IIRC the Tri-ang small rolling stock wheels are 10mm in diameter (I'll see if I can find one to check), but fitting these will maintain the excessive ride height of the vehicle*. (The platform should be 940mm above rail level, according to the drawing in 'British Railway Wagons....'  D Rowland.)

www.ltsv.com/downloads/w_profile_018.pdf

However checking the information available, I find conflicting data - p163 of the above book states wheels of 812mm (2' 8") with a platform 940mm (3' 1") above rail level. (This low level is necessary to keep the containers within the loading gauge, of course.)

The diagram (p159) appears to show the wheels below the centre line of the inner couplings at 781mm (2' 6 3/4"), suggesting the above diameter is possibly incorrect. The entire headstock of the outer wagons is also above platform level. (The Tri-ang Hornby design solves this problem by ignoring the existence of the outer wagons.)

*Necessary to give clearance for Tri-ang flanges and the dreadful Tri-ang Mk III couplings.

EDIT:

I could only find a set of Peco's replacement wheels, which are 10mm diameter. 9mm could be used or even  standard US freight rolling stock wheels. Slight adjustment of the coupling height may be required.

• 2 weeks later...

Replacement wheels already covered above, although i want to say replacement wheel sets are 10.5mm ......i may be wrong it's been a long time since i got mine!

The bogies themselves are too far from the rest of the flat. On the S-kits detailing pack one of the first steps is removing the bogies and taking a couple of mm off the pivot mount for a more correct ride height.

With rigards to ride height, I've got a print out somewhere which seems to suggest there's 2 options. Not sure why and i don't have the print to hand but page 62 on this link has similar info:

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_Group_Standards/Infrastructure/Guidance%20Notes/GEGN8573%20Iss%202.pdf

The 1016mm and 1039mm represent deck height. FFA/FGA flats are higher than KFAs which are 9XXmm high.

I replaced the wheels on mine with some American ones many years ago but I cannot recall what they where!

XF

Yes I lowered my flats by removing the bogie rivets, taking about 2mm off the bogie pivot boss and fitting American HO wheelsets which were Proto 2000 from Model Junction Slough. They also stock a Kadee equivalent but they both work out at 10.5mm diameter which is perfect.

Geoff.

It says on colin Craig's site that his kits come with 10.5mm wheels

Hth

Simon

Yes but the original question was how to improve the old Triang Hornby freightliner flats, the Colin Craig kits are superb but are quite complicated and not cheap. What we really need is Bachmann to produce the FFA and FGA to the standard of their current intermodal flats.

Geoff.

These are a couple of Triang/Hornby Freightliner flats I detailed some 30 years ago now. I don't think they are all that bad, but then again I go more for an overall impression rather than 100% accuracy.

The FGA outer wagon has buffers and drawgear fitted at one end.

post-6880-0-14708100-1367759595.jpg

post-6880-0-33575100-1367759615.jpg

^ It's simple things like the container mounting points on the side of the wagon and the brake wheel that make a lot of difference but are so minor the eye struggles to notice the change, but knows it's an improvement.

Yes but the original question was how to improve the old Triang Hornby freightliner flats, the Colin Craig kits are superb but are quite complicated and not cheap. What we really need is Bachmann to produce the FFA and FGA to the standard of their current intermodal flats.

Geoff.

I was saying what wheel size was included as there seems to be some confusion over correct wheel diameter that should be used

These are a couple of Triang/Hornby Freightliner flats I detailed some 30 years ago now. I don't think they are all that bad, but then again I go more for an overall impression rather than 100% accuracy.

The FGA outer wagon has buffers and drawgear fitted at one end.

All that little lettering, even the hand-brake direction arrows. Also I note extra lettering on the containers, especially the doors. Very nice...

I was saying what wheel size was included as there seems to be some confusion over correct wheel diameter that should be used

Sorry Simon, I misunderstood your reply..........doh!

Geoff.

Archived