Bachmann Bulleid coaches

John Oxlade

Being around the other side of the world it isn't easy for me to pop into a model shop, so...

What are the Bachmann Bulleid coaches like? I have examples of their Mk1s and the Hornby Maunsell coaches, so quality/detail-wise, where do the Bulleids sit? Do they have close-couplings?

Many thanks,

John

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann bullied are getting on a bit.

When they were released they were an impressive mentioned past coaches.

However they don't have flush glazing nor a close coupling mechanism and certainly no NEM coupling pockets.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

They arent as bad as the old Triang or Lima coaches. If the glazing was stuck to the inside then it would be better as the coach sides are thinner so you would get a reasonably close glazed look.. I have a few that I have worked on but not yet sorted the glazing out.

The recent release of these does have a darker green to the original batches.

I gather htat the dimensions are not quite right and there have been rumours of Bachamnn retooling them but as to whether or when is another story.

Ian

They arent as bad as the old Triang or Lima coaches. If the glazing was stuck to the inside then it would be better as the coach sides are thinner so you would get a reasonably close glazed look.. I have a few that I have worked on but not yet sorted the glazing out.

The recent release of these does have a darker green to the original batches.

I gather htat the dimensions are not quite right and there have been rumours of Bachamnn retooling them but as to whether or when is another story.

Ian

That would be right!

Just as I have started on a project to bring several Bullieds up to current standards too, on a open second I have replaced the roof vents on the centre line where they should be, modified the chassis ends to accept Keen Systems Close coupling units with NEM pockets and replaced the rubber (?) vestible connectors with Keens own version which close couples nicely with Hornbys Maunsells or Bachmanns Mk1's. I yet to flush glaze the coach as there was a rumour that Shawplan were going to do new glazing with alternative etched frames so the BRCW built version could be built too, but I've still got to gives the coach sides a light blow over with semi gloss varnish as they don't look right to me in flat.

For their age and parentage ( tooling started by Airfix before their demise) they are still good value, certainly cheaper than rebuiding Hornby/ tri-ang MK1's with new running gear and new brass sides, I know I've done both!

Regards

Archived