Simons Ffestiniog workbench 7mm narrow gauge ( Penryhn goods shed ) Finally started

Mike,

I have copied the information below from an announcement Paul made on the 'Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling Online Forum

The kit specification is: -

• All etch parts in nickel Silver (except a detail fret of Brass nameplates, window surrounds and the like)
  • Assembly jig included to ensure cab assembles squarely (and thus keeps the rest of it square)
  • All detail castings in brass or nickel silver (there is no whitemetal)
  • Includes name, patent and works plates
  • Cab upper section is designed to be added (carefully) after the cab interior is detailed and painted
  • Supplied with motors, correct pattern wheels and gears
  • Can be built for 16,5 or 14mm gauges

I'm sure there'll be a more formal announcement on here once the kits are ready for sale

Another Mike

VERY tempting.  Always liked those double fairlies.  My narrow gauge stuff is all 3 foot gauge, but I have friends with some On30...

Update time.

The past couple of day's i've been busy painting some figures by A C Stadden. They are fantastic O gauge figures & lucky for me he has both a welsh woman & Robert Francis Fairlie in his range which were both purchased without hesitation. 

I've been searching for a welsh woman for some time now & i'm pleased with my figure & the way she has come out. The model is painted using Humbrol enamels & a etch primer as a base.

post-8269-0-45779700-1367938728_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-49819900-1367938760_thumb.jpg

She's done now i think she looks perfect the way she is & doesn't need anything extra adding. 

Robert Fairlie is now on the bench & i've made a start with him.

post-8269-0-97940800-1367938829_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-23260500-1367938863_thumb.jpg

Between doing this i made a crud jig to learn to line on with my lining pen i purchased sometime last year. It's been on my mind for a while now & with the coaches being built i felt it was time to learn. 

post-8269-0-59665100-1367938979_thumb.jpg

I'm really pleased with the result from my first go & i am glad i have done it this way. I'd have been very unhappy if i had attempted to line out the bogie coach without testing first i would have been fuming. The colour i have used is brake dust from the railmatch range which i think is perfect for the lining.

My bench is getting a bit crowded at the minute so i think a good tidy up is in order soon ;)

post-8269-0-43914600-1367939147_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-91807800-1367939169_thumb.jpg

I'll show some more of Fairlie over the weekend it is back to work now to get those extra beer tokens for the Isle of Man TT ;)

Simon

Just a quick update as to what's been happening on the bench.

On Thursday I attempted to line coach 19 & I wasn't happy with the result. Because I had to hand paint it after the mess I made with the precision spray can i had some bums & lumps which messed the lining.

After the paint set I went over it with coach plum to tidy it up.

This afternoon I fixed the transfers to the coach & what a difference it instantly made. It's amazing how some transfers change base colours of a model.

I've still to paint the white panels & fit the transfers which I will be doing tomorrow. I've also painted the roof of the coach today. I shall upload some images tomorrow at the start of my modeling session.

That's all for now

Simon

Update time .....

So today i have done a bit of work on coach 19 along with a few other items on the bench. Firstly i wanted to get the roof finished off so i fitted the last castings & give it a paintjob. Once i had finished off the roof i glued in the glazing & seating & then fixed the roof in place.

post-8269-0-82106300-1368393334_thumb.jpg

I've still to paint the other panels on the other side of the coach although i have made a start. The doors still need there handles fitting & the grab rails need bending.

Moving on to the other items i decided to just take a look at a few other bits today & started work with some Mercian Dinorwic items.

post-8269-0-73441200-1368393534_thumb.jpg

I'm happy with both items although the slate wagon is origami & i ended up butchering some of it to make it work my way. Both kits worried me for fitting kadees as i thought they might be too low but it seems they'll both work perfectly although the slate wagon needs a bit of modification.

I also dug out my first Port Wynnstay kit which needed couplings fitting. Again kadees are my choice so i used a slitting disk & dentist burr to cut the resin so it would fit. I'm waiting for Blackhams to release the transfer for this kit so i will have to wait until i finish it off.

post-8269-0-21195400-1368393784_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now

Simon

Today i have had a very productive day modeling so i thought i would give you a little update.

This morning after a routine trip to see the doc my plan was to go stock up on some plastikard from my local model shop. I was shocked to see it was closed. It looks like it has closed down as well because there was nothing in the window & nothing in the shop. I was saddened by this because i have been going to Pendle Models since i was a kid. Although it wasn't a railway shop it was great for paints, brass section & glues & other materials needed for model making. I'm hoping it is just a revamp because there was no closing down signs when i visited about a week ago & it will be sadly missed if it has gone.

Anyway i was then facing the problem of my plasticard which i want for my latest project which is ...... ;)

post-8269-0-89373900-1368655921_thumb.jpg

Yes i am going to build Penryhn goods shed or something that resembles it. This afternoon i poured myself a mug of the Yorkshire stuff & started drawing some plans of the build & i am very happy with what i have done. I've placed a large order with Slaters for various sheets & grades of plasticard which i am going to use to build Penryhn goods shed. 

I've made a scratch built building before & it came out exceptional so i am hoping this is going to be even better. The stonework at Penryhn isn't something i can get from Slaters embossed range so i have ordered something close to it. My back up plan should this not work out is to hand emboss the plasticard sheet using a marker pen & a scapel.

Thats it for now anyway tomorrow i shall upload my drawings of what i have done so you can see where i am up too.

Simon

Time for a update :D

For my next project on the bench i wanted to start doing a scratch build. My aim is to make a recreation of Penryhn goods shed & a photo can be seen of what i am trying to achieve above.

I've been awaiting a package from Slaters with all the materials i would need to get cracking. My parcel arrived yesterday which also was the start of my 3 week holiday so it's time to get modeling. 

I decided to get a weave on & start last night & to start off i made the front goods shed door where the wagons enter the building. All the carcass is 0.75mm white plasticard & the door is made from the same material which has been marked & scored so it leaves the panelling effect on the door. I've also cut some pieces of code 75 rails to make the hangers & the roller for door to move which will be weathered down once painted.

post-8269-0-12812500-1369307734_thumb.jpg

I decided to carry on this morning & got most of the structure carcass built. I can't do anything with the office because silly me forgot to buy some microstrip for the window in the office so that will get ordered today & i will have to wait.

post-8269-0-08691100-1369307920_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-30569200-1369307941_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-76064400-1369307964_thumb.jpg

Since i cannot go any further with the office side of things i am going to make the office door in the same fashion i did the first. I'm also going to start cladding the roof with slate courses & maybe some of the sides with the stone sheets i bought.

I'll update again later this evening when i have progressed a little further. 

thats all for now

Simon

Well i've been at this build now for 2 days & i am really enjoying scratch building. 

It's very pleasing to make something completely unique from scratch & see it come together. The hardest part i have found so far with this build is the courses of slate. Slaters plastikard sheets come in courses rather than sheets you just cut to shape so i am properly roofing this building course by course.

So heres where i am up too...

post-8269-0-54208000-1369390507_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-73266100-1369390526_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-37145200-1369390542_thumb.jpg

I think it really captures Penrhyn goods shed very well & to say i have only scratch built 1 building before i think  i am doing a good job. I know it isn't perfect but it is mine & i made it completely from scratch & it's an achievement :D

The building is a little further on than these photos. I took these last night but they failed to upload so i need to take a few more photos once i am done this afternoon. The missus has stuck her foot down & told me i need to pack both my bag & the little ones for the Isle of Man. 

Simon

Simon

Its coming on very well, I have a few buildings to make when I have time and have Southeastern Finecast brick sheets to use. I was thinking of using a 60 thou inner just for extra strength as the solvent used for sticking all together sometimes warps the plasticard. Also I have heard that its best to use odd nembers of sheets in a wall just like plywood, so the forces are the same on both sides.

Great start, looking forward to more photos of the build

post-6862-0-88561700-1369469410_thumb.jpgpost-6862-0-79268500-1369469433_thumb.jpg 

Simon

Its coming on very well, I have a few buildings to make when I have time and have Southeastern Finecast brick sheets to use. I was thinking of using a 60 thou inner just for extra strength as the solvent used for sticking all together sometimes warps the plasticard. Also I have heard that its best to use odd nembers of sheets in a wall just like plywood, so the forces are the same on both sides.

Definitely a good idea to use an odd number of layers when using plastic sheet, even wagons let alone large walls.

I built some freelance open wagons in the early 1990's and wanted interior planking . So I used Slaters planking back to back, within months they had warped and bowed and were in the bin. Then I read about odd numbers of layers and tried again with a layer of 10 thou plain between the back to back planking and they are still straight to this day (the blue wagon). Do also bear in mind that if you use heavy outside framing that this counts as a layer too, guess how I know!(The Festiniog Bogie Coal Wagon)

Thank you for the comments John :D

I built this carcass using 0.75 firstly then cladded with the embossed stone but i did put in some triangle supports into the inner body so it stopped the warping. This is very much a shot into the dark for me because everything is guess work because i've not done this on a grand scale before. 

Phil those are some very nicely built wagons especially the bogie wagon which i think looks cracking.

I think today i am going to get the rest of the bodywork cladded with slate & stone so it is finished. I've also dug out some bits to do details to the doors & some wire to make the window frames.

Heres where i am up to this morning.

post-8269-0-97889100-1369559941_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-79838200-1369559961_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-56734100-1369559981_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-07645500-1369560002_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Phil

Super looking wagons

Thanks very much.

So that I don't hijack Simons thread, there are more on my Flickr site, Google "Port Wynnstay Quayside" and then go to "sets". That's always supposing you want to see more of course.

Phil T.

Archived