"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Right (and as an excuse to show this picture yet again!) here are two shots of the same scene but with the overall tone adjusted in each - one has the 'Sunny' look, the other a dull look, or a summer's day in Wales !

Anyway Guys, which do you prefer?

Cheers.

Allan

attachicon.gifIMG_0162.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0162.jpg

I like the sepia version, in as much, that in certain lights........... say on a balmy summers day with the moon ln the last quarter with heavy cloud on a freezing night in the northern hemisphere................oh got lost there ;)

At dusk  colours are often very muted so sepia is still believable. I am old enough to remember black and white pictures but I don't appreciate them much. for me colour is the beauty.....if I became blind....I could model clay.....but I would be heartbroken. When there is only black and white pictures I accept that limitation and appreciate the other details, but when there is a choice? Full on techni colour every time  :sungum: with a subtle bit of shade.........and a soupçon of humour. :rofl:

• Like 1

And here's one I built earlier !! (trackwork by Robinson)

World's Worst Maintained Railroad Tracks - YouTube

► 3:06► 3:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGZ3_Ifnk3I

Feb 17, 2013 - Uploaded by DelayInBlock

Pioneer Rail Corp. recently purchased the 51 mile long (former Wabash/Norfolk & Western trackage) Maumee ..

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

And finaly, 'Grassmaster' overkill ! and you haven't lived if you haven't seen the "Veggie Market" train on another clip when thw main video ends -U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E !!!!!

World's Worst Railroad Track - YouTube
► 6:12► 6:12
htt://

Oct 21, 2012 - Uploaded by DelayInBlock
Maumee & Western Railroad Company (reporting mark MAW) was a Class III shortline railroad, located ..
  • Like 1

Allan

Some interesting grafitti towards the end. Even running that slow your amazed it does not derail though.

I think  it was the sheer weight that kept 'em on the rails, something that we can't replicate in model form, even in spite of if you scaled a white metal loco up pound for pound, it would be twice the weight of it's real World counterpart.

Also I heard that the wheel flanges weren't there for keeping a loco on the tracks, but for guiding it through the points, and if this is so, then it works in the reverse on a model where the thicker the wheels and flanges - check out the N Guage steam roller wheels - the less likely they are to derail - and that's why I found locos and rolling stock fitted with ultra scale wheels ditched at the first threat of a sneeze or raised rail joint !

So, story time !

This was way back and I had a P4 layout booked for Central Hall- apparantly it was advertised as the "first completed layout in P4, YAY!!! - and the P4 society made a right meal of it in the Model Press at the same time as promising me membership and hero status of which I didn't want either - but I daren't tell 'em that as they were providing all the components.

Anyway with six weeks to go and all the track laid, wired and ballasted we ( Graham Beaumont, whoe's blxxdy idea it was in the first place ! ) and me, who would go along with anything provided I could use Colron Wood dyes by the bucket load whenever and wherever the mood took me, we gave it a test run and - DISASTER ! - the slightest knock, heavy breathing, even scratch your nose, and everything derailed and there was no way, crash barriers or not, was it going to survive a chaotic and soul destroying week at Central Hall - so  with just six weeks to go, we ripped up all the track, relaid it with Peco, bought all new locos and rolling stock and hit Central Hall only to be met by a hostile and life threating crowd of P4 supporters, their wives, the Friends of P4, the Friends Of P4 Wives, and anyone else that was a dedicated member of the "Model railways are only for looking at club" 

However, not all was lost, John Craven wrote a book about (and I had to buy my own copy ! ), it would have won the cup but it didn't cos we weren't members, and Sydney Pritchard took it back to Peco with him, had a purpose built room built for it, and there it stayed for 18 years till it fell apart. 

And the P4 Society haven't spoke to me since....

Louise Carroll

Edited by allan downes

Amazing videos, Allan and some interesting reflections on P4 modelling which I had better not comment upon. :devil:

I hadn't looked at YouTube for a while and had forgotten about the diabolical spelling, asinine comments and downright unpleasantness between posters. RMWeb is definitely more civilised!

cheers,

Iain

Kal tried to explain this to me, so expect mistakes

Rail geometry 101 foundation level  ;)

There are multiple reasons why a locomotive stays on the track, and as you say does not rely on the flanges other than on quite sharp corners.

1. The profile of the wheel is not flat, but is in fact conical, and the effect of this is that as the loco and the wagons travel along the rail whenever they veer from the centre the circumference of each wheel touching the rail alters, thereby steering the stock back to the centre, so in real terms the loco is actually undulating left and right very slightly a little bit like a bob sleigh

2. The top of the rails are not completely flat, they are slightly conical as well as canted (lean) in slightly  also enhancing this steering effect.

3. On faster corners it is also very common these days to use super elevation, which simply means that the inner rail is mounted slightly lower than the outer rail, to encourage centrifugal force, think of a motorbike going around a corner. The faster you go the more problems arise hence the famous leaning trains like the ATP, to increase the centrifugal force around corners.

4. Of course when you get to very fast speeds this slight weaving along the track can set up the equivalent of a harmonic wave that runs down the train,and weaving increases the effect  that a small movement in the lead car or engine amplifies onto the next then the next until it reaches the end which then sends an opposing wave in the other direction which can cause the train to jump the tracks. In order to combat this articulated coach pairs were introduced which breaks up this harmonic wave, but also has the added advantage that should a train derail it has a tendency to stay on its 'feet' and it's ability to jack knife and eject carriages from the train is substantially reduced.

There is a lot more mathematics, physics and engineering than this, and somebody with a lot more hands on knowledge can explain this better. But hopefully this allows someone to google for details if they have any further interest.

Kal says he read this off a Network rail video several months ago, so expect him to not have 100% recollection. :no: And is not setting himself up as an expert. As to him two years ago everything was just a choo choo. :scratchhead:

He wasn't keen on me posting this because he doesn't feel he is well informed enough, but I thought you would like it..............

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

I had a Hornby 00 break down crane once that never de railed no matter what you did to it and there's a logical explanation for this that had absolutely nothing to do with wheel and track profiles, but everything to do with a four inch nail driven through the cab roof and stoved into the baseboard up a siding. 

Ennit.

A great book. It seems that Graffiti polarises opinions....I was looking at a Flickr stream of freight car graffiti a while back and was surprised at the comments on the photos. Some people wanted graffiti painters "shot" or sent to jail for long periods. I know I am probably in the minority, but I don't mind graffiti and like to see it on freight and passenger stock. It  stops all those arguments about correct liveries as well... :jester:

I guess I will be drummed off RMWeb now. It was nice knowing y'all.

Iain

I agree when an 'artist' has done the graffiti and it is their moniker, so the work is a piece of art I rate it highly. A quick spray with a can with rude comments dont' interest me at all.

I particularly like PHAT's work, although I am sure owners who have had their belongings PHATed are not likely to agree. 

We have discussed putting a mural on our bungalow, we live out in the sticks behind a large green hedge. Several ideas have been thrown about. Because of our love of trees a landscape is high on the list. Although a lot of research to get a good result will have to precede anything more than a small 6 foot practise spot around the back.

• Like 1

Best Place for Graffiti ? Italy, even the station cats aren't spared !

Best platform departure info " Sorrento " Ze tran a leava plata forma tena isa alla red lefta. Ze nexta traina fora Napolia  isa nota beena sin sinca lasta yeara zo trya de Amalffi ora anya whera elsa een Italia whera is a stationi.

Best bus strike ? Sorrento again. Busio arriva ata ze busonia busia stoppa where the driver leans out of the cab and says "No, no, no, no rida ze busionio, eet anda mia isa ona da strikionio. And that's what they do when they go on strike, they don't go home, but ride around town stopping at all the bustops until the strike is called off !

Biggest refuge dump in Europe ? Downtown Naples, Uptown Naples, anywhere Naples.

Worst Airport ? Yep, Naples takes it again. One toilet cubicle for every thousand passengers, two thousand passengers for every hot dog stand.

But they do have a Volcanio that is about to eruptio any time now.

Edited by allan downes

A great book. It seems that Graffiti polarises opinions....

...I know I am probably in the minority, but I don't mind graffiti and like to see it on freight and passenger stock. ..

I guess I will be drummed off RMWeb now. It was nice knowing y'all.

I found a copy of it by accident in a rather fine, but now sadly closed, local bookshop. There were two copies on the shelf and I cheekily asked for, and got, a discount by saying that they'll never sell both!

I also don't mind a bit if graffiti but there are limits. The side of a JGA is one thing, a drystone wall in the Goyt Valley is quite another!

With a few notable exceptions modellers never seem to get graffiti on their layouts looking right. The usual transfers that people use are of the more artistic type of street art whereas a look around any urban location shows that most modern graffiti comprises of repetitive 'tags', usually in white spraycan, and the multicoloured creations beloved of the transfer companies is actually quite rare.

If you get drummed off pop round for a brew...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to pesky computers....

"Start up repair" dialogue - this may take several minutes..... 20 minutes later I've had enough, so click the 'Cancel' button - 'This repair cannot be cancelled' - so why have the flippin' button then ?!?

Gawd knows what Graffiti's got to do with me be bein' streets ahead of Robinson, but I'll go along with anything as long as it ain't any more of his magnifence knocking me off my perch so this I found in High Wycombe when I lived there. 

During the war, Wycombe had an American airforce base there and painted on a wall nearby in large white letters, was "Yanks Go Home"

Well this stood hidden beneath a heavy growth of wall ivy for about 55 years and was only exposed when the council cut it down as it was undermining the wall - i't's still there and can just about be seen after all those years, some paint eh ?!

• Like 1

Back to pesky computers....

"Start up repair" dialogue - this may take several minutes..... 20 minutes later I've had enough, so click the 'Cancel' button - 'This repair cannot be cancelled' - so why have the flippin' button then ?!?

The only thing you can do Stubby to get rid of it is to isolate your computer from both power sources, the mains and the battery, give it a few minutes, reconnect and boot it up.

However, if it's still there - and it usualy is ! - then click on where it sez " Start windows normally" and it will - but, click onto "Start up repair" - well it'll take hours to try and repair something that didn't need repaiting in the first place and each time fails miserably just so it can tell you there's nowt wrong and there never was but we can't mend it ! so you still have to disconnect all power just to get rid of it. AND, if you've noticed, it never wants to make repairs while you are actually using your computer, only when you first boot it up - on a sunday morning usually !! 

• RMweb Gold

Read a story in the Reader's Digest, in the 'Humour in Uniform' section, about a private who had been detailed to re-paint all the white kerbs at the camp entrance. Unfortunately, he dropped the paint can, making a splodge on the road.  Thinking quickly, he painted the mess into a square shape, and said nothing.....

Years later, when re-visiting the camp, he was amused to see the square still there, and had been freshly painted...

The only thing you can do Stubby to get rid of it is to isolate your computer from both power sources, the mains and the battery, give it a few minutes, reconnect and boot it up.

However, if it's still there - and it usualy is ! - then click on where it sez " Start windows normally" and it will - but, click onto "Start up repair" - well it'll take hours to try and repair something that didn't need repaiting in the first place and each time fails miserably just so it can tell you there's nowt wrong and there never was but we can't mend it ! so you still have to disconnect all power just to get rid of it. AND, if you've noticed, it never wants to make repairs while you are actually using your computer, only when you first boot it up - on a sunday morning usually !! 

Tis done :)

Computers!!! Has anyone had the experience of not receiving e-mails after posting?

I was dragged out of lurk to make two posts on other threads and neither have shown, although my remarks have shown on-line. I'm betting this one won't. ???

Tony.

PS: It did suddenly occur to me that a personal entry doesn't show up till someone responds?

(Paranoia Rules OK!!!)

Edited by Brass0four

Trying to work in my workshop...the amazing heat is compounded by the fact that the folk downstairs in this old slate mill that we live in are a very dear, venerable couple who "feel the cold". They have a coal fired Aga blasting away and a roaring fire in their lounge. To add insult to injury, because they are a sweet old couple who are rather frail, I actually get their coal every morning for them!! How mad is that! I am going to have to go underground before I get poured in a bucket.

cheers,

Iain

PS thanks RMWeb for giving me the opportunity to get that off my chest ;)