Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

I

What I want to know now is, is there a prize for reading the whole thread,

a cathedral perhaps, a windmill, or even a tin of Colron???

Yes Rab, a full size cardboard cutout of Robinson doing the highland fling.

The last one sold at Sotherby's for  a quater of a million bucks to an unknown Zulu Chieften.

Cheers.

Allan.

Anyway Guys,question.

Bargeboards or not ??

post-18579-0-67571800-1388777470_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-06651000-1388777481_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-06185200-1388777496_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-36824900-1388777512_thumb.jpg

Edited by allan downes

Edit: Having just checked through my photos of the area (West Yorkshire) it appears that many of the roads in the 1950's and earlier had already been resurfaced with tarmac so I'm probably being misled by modellers stereotyping but the goods yard is a whole other kettle of fish.....

Hello Mythocentric, some roads in Leeds remained surfaced with sets until quite late. Tong Road, one of the main roads to the west out of Leeds had these certainly until the late 50's. They were quite shiny and had a strange brownish-purple-ish sheen to them and were pretty awful when wet. I remember this very well after coming off my bike on numerous occasions trying to corner too fast. The other hazard was the tram lines but that as they say is another story.

Derek

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyway Guys,question.

Bargeboards or not ??

I'm not sure about them. I'm sure you've done your research and they are the right size & style, but I think they are too prominent and remind me of large PVC plastic ones I see on some modern houses. Maybe some weathering would tone them down a bit? Alternatively, a different (softer) colour? 

It's a wonderful model (as always!) but if was my money, I'd be very tempted to say either use smaller ones or leave them off. 

I think that the bargeboards need a little weathering, as does the rest of the paintwork, then everything would tone in. I expect that was your plan anyway, Allan. It's looking fantastic, very Cotswold. The stonework and the roof are amazing. How are you planning on doing the quoins...more fire cement?  Great job, guv.

cheers,

Iain

I'm not sure about them. I'm sure you've done your research and they are the right size & style, but I think they are too prominent and remind me of large PVC plastic ones I see on some modern houses. Maybe some weathering would tone them down a bit? Alternatively, a different (softer) colour? 

It's a wonderful model (as always!) but if was my money, I'd be very tempted to say either use smaller ones or leave them off. 

WR, you're so right, too prominent,too white and to plasticky.

I went on the Web and had a reral good look at cotswold cottages and hardly any had bargeboards as such, raised stone gables yes and that's what I shall be doing on the mill.

So, I got up in the middle of the night, ripped off the offending bargeboards ( Robinson has offered me a great deal of money for them, even more if I sign them ) and cleaned up the roof ends.

So thanks for the input guys, job done.

Cheers.

Allan

I think that the bargeboards need a little weathering, as does the rest of the paintwork, then everything would tone in. I expect that was your plan anyway, Allan. It's looking fantastic, very Cotswold. The stonework and the roof are amazing. How are you planning on doing the quoins...more fire cement?  Great job, guv.

cheers,

Iain

Hi Iain (the bargeboards should be with you first post tomorrow and that'll be 50 bucks, standard reject price - or coupons)

Re the quoins - well there won't be any for as you may notice, the stonework continues aroung the corner returns where a drainpipe will cover the raw material edge  and you're right, the paintwork does need toning down a bit and this I will tend to as soon as I've done my morning press up - right, press up done, back on it.

Cheers.

Allan

Right Guys, you must be getting pig sick of this building by now but here it is - again! - but without bargeboards paintwork toned down, stacks set upright, ridge tiling run through leaving just pots and guttering but they'll have to wait cos I can't wait to start on that mill !!

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-40367500-1388840385_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-73092100-1388840400_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-57238800-1388840413_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-40589000-1388840430_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-54797900-1388840447_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Those look to be extremely large stones that have been used on the chimneys, far bigger than the one used on the walls.

Also, the little glass extension seems to have the same heavy roof tiles as the rest of the building.

I'm not saying either of these is incorrect, they just sort of stand out to me.

Hi Allan

Just a comment as I can't quite see in your photos but Cotswold stone roofs have diminishing stone sizes as you move up the roof. This site is quite informative. www.stoneroof.org.uk/Tewksbury%20stone%20slate%20roofing.pdf

I am amazed at your speed of build! I have to agree with Stubby that it is unlikely that the glass extension would have a stone roof as the weight would probably be too much for the structure to support.

Best wishes and Happy New Year

Roger

Those look to be extremely large stones that have been used on the chimneys, far bigger than the one used on the walls.

Also, the little glass extension seems to have the same heavy roof tiles as the rest of the building.

I'm not saying either of these is incorrect, they just sort of stand out to me.

You're probably right Stubby, but check these stacks out - kinda like mine !

Cheers Allan.

Re the extension roof - some were tiled, and to match the house tiles where possible as I've roofed out quite a few extentions this way myself when I was in the building game though one look at my carport roof and you'd never believe I was !

post-18579-0-31052600-1388852956.jpgpost-18579-0-41319300-1388853069.jpg

Edited by allan downes

Hi Allan

Just a comment as I can't quite see in your photos but Cotswold stone roofs have diminishing stone sizes as you move up the roof. This site is quite informative. www.stoneroof.org.uk/Tewksbury%20stone%20slate%20roofing.pdf

I am amazed at your speed of build! I have to agree with Stubby that it is unlikely that the glass extension would have a stone roof as the weight would probably be too much for the structure to support.

Best wishes and Happy New Year

Roger

You're right about the diminishing stone sizes Roger and this, as you say, is most common to Cotswold buildings but I have to be honest here - I just couldn't be bothered and since it's not for a client anyway it really didn't matter, but I take your comments seriously - thanks.

Now about the weight of a tiled roof on a glass fronted conservatory - you're right again, they would have been far to heavy unless you reinforced the roof - 4X2 joists - then no problem and, in fact, I  have replaced quite a few conservatory roofs this way in my time where one chap wanted to turn his 30ftx10ft conservatory into a railway room - I think he's still got the railway but I wouildn't be too sure about the building  - I jest of course !

Cheers and a happy new year to you too sir. really appreciate the comments.

Allan.

Bit off topic (in fact a lot of topic), but I see that your knock of the woods (immingham) has a flood warning.  Trust you are high and dry Allan and all you others out there in Waterworld.

Thanks for the concern Theakerr, but we're quite lucky where we live - right on the outside of town - and even when containers were floating down the high street nary a drop crossed our thresh hold - which is just as well really as we live in a bungalow and the carport roof wouldn't support a cat !

Cheers.

Allan.

Made a start on the Mill Building tonight and this is as far as it got - there's probably twice as many wall sections to do yet ( walls have to be built up in sections large enough to go into the microwave - and it's remembering which wall goes where, why, and how !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-18574400-1388873475_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-75487100-1388873485_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-36986000-1388873495_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-89827500-1388873504_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-68613100-1388873513_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Great texture on the stonework and very little apparent warping, which must be from the microwave treatment. Watching with great interest to see how it develops...

cheers,

Iain

Hi Iain.

It does warp to a certain extent but if you turn the wall section face down and apply pressure it will 'crack' down the line of slightest resistance - between the stones - and though you'll hear it, you'll be hard pressed to see it.

Of course, and even after just two minutes, when it comes out of the microwave it's red hot and rock hard and that is the time to apply the colour - in this case, English Light Oak - then seal that with a coat of spray varnish then when that has dried, about ten minutes as the fire cement will still be warm,  feed your mortar grout in between the stones with a large flat modelling brush ( from one side only slowly forcing any air bubbles out before it ) and that is all there is to it.

The grout by the way is a very weak and runny mix of fire cement and water and you may need to apply it two or three times depending on the effect you're after.

Now, if it's a 'blown' wall you're after, or a wall in an advanced state of decay, then blast it on full power for about 30 seconds or so in the microwave and just stand back and watch the action  - kids'll just love it, wifeys won't !

Cheers.

Allan

Thanks, Allan, that is very illuminating. I have tried a wall in the microwave this morning, very carefully,  using Das and it behaves very well. Thanks for the advice and your ideas which are often, dare I say, "off the wall" :-) but always effective and illuminating. Over the years you have been a true pathfinder...not to mention beating me over the twenty-quid-a-page mark and stealing my recipes for using Colron :jester:  

Sorry there's not been much from me... I have been troubled by a spell of sub-contract work for another modelmaking company, a retail development in a very sunny country...it gets in the way of proper modelling!  There's something large and slatey about to appear soon though...no, not my empty wallet. Thanks for putting up these progress shots, they are much appreciated.

cheers,

Iain

....Sorry there's not been much from me... I have been troubled by a spell of sub-contract work for another modelmaking company, a retail development in a very sunny country...it gets in the way of proper modelling!  

By tradition,all good model makers like all good artists are supposed to die skint - don't break the mould !

Cheers.

Allan.

By tradition,all good model makers like all good artists are supposed to die skint - don't break the mould !

Cheers.

Allan.

Come on, mate...I've seen that new Jag in your car port from google earth  :jester:

Not much chance of my breaking the mould...I always put too much work in...but hey, it's better than actually " working" ...wry smile emoticon here...I did that working in an office thing for a short while many years ago- never again!

OK you must have finished that mill by now...?

cheers,

Iain

Thanks, Allan, that is very illuminating. I have tried a wall in the microwave this morning, very carefully,  using Das and it behaves very well. Thanks for the advice and your ideas which are often, dare I say, "off the wall" :-) but always effective and illuminating. Over the years you have been a true pathfinder...not to mention beating me over the twenty-quid-a-page mark and stealing my recipes for using Colron :jester:  

Sorry there's not been much from me... I have been troubled by a spell of sub-contract work for another modelmaking company, a retail development in a very sunny country...it gets in the way of proper modelling!  There's something large and slatey about to appear soon though...no, not my empty wallet. Thanks for putting up these progress shots, they are much appreciated.

cheers,

Iain

I'm looking forward to something large and slatey :)

• Like 1

Is it just me, or is anyone else itching to go microwave some fire cement?… :)

Glad it's not just me!

My new layout will eventually need several Cotswold stone buildings and I don't think I can afford Allan's prices.

• Like 1