Heljan 47245

daveymills

I have seen several of these for sale (on various forums), and they never seem to fetch a 'high' value.  For example last night one went on eBay for 27 quid which seems rather  low (?).

I know there are several models (from various manufacturers) that tend to sell well 2nd hand or even from the manufacturer as new, as they have 'design' deficiencies vs the prototype (Bachmann's recent 37506 and 37514 may be examples, these now go for less than 50 quid despite being fairly recent releases).

It may also be the promise of newer models appearing on the horizon (Vitrains ?) that makes older models less desirable.

So my question is, what is there wrong, if anything, with Heljan's 47245.

cheers

Dave

www.barnestmd.com

post-18622-0-59003700-1366656891_thumb.jpg

The only two things I am aware of are that the Heljan Class 47s are known to be too wide compared to the prototype (hence why they attained the nickname "Tubby Duffs") and there is the issue with Heljan Class 47 mazak chassis cracking.  These things coupled with newer locos being on the market that are truer to protoype (but not perfect themselves) may have caused a price drop.

PS I am aware of the general issues with Heljan 47s, i.e. the width is too wide

thanks, sorry yes i posted at the same time as you

The only two things I am aware of are that the Heljan Class 47s are known to be too wide compared to the prototype (hence why they attained the nickname "Tubby Duffs") and there is the issue with Heljan Class 47 mazak chassis cracking.  These things coupled with newer locos being on the market that are truer to protoype (but not perfect themselves) may have caused a price drop.

I must admit I'm rather fond of the Tubby Duffs, I've got around 15 of them and have paid at most £55-£60 new and have picked up some bargains. The running and haulage powers are superb although the motor is quite current hungry and if you dcc them they need a chip that can deliver the current. The lights are a bit dim compared to the Bachmann 47, some may consider that an advantage.

They detail up quite nicely, see the trio here on the EM Gauge 70s web site, scroll down below the Westerns:

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb.html

• RMweb Premium

When did you start seeing them go for low prices? Rail Exclusive has recently produced an RfD European Class 47 and Bachmann have 47365 in the same livery in their current catalogue. Their (impending) availability has probably triggered more sales of the older Heljan model, thereby reducing the price they go for.

Also as well the fact that the Heljan models now are being put against Bachmann and Vitrains which are better models, and don't have the width problem, and as well look more 47 like compared ot the Heljan 47 which I think has the whole "Normal front, with the cab area stretched out" look ( if that makes sense). 

NL

Thanks all for your replies

I guess I was not looking for a discussion on the comparison in general of Heljan vs Bachmann vs Vitrains etc

More on the merits of this particular model (47245)

However I guess all the above points are valid for this model vs newer RfD models coming from other manufacturers.

cheers

dave

Archived