Incorrect Head Codes

fender

even in my limited collection of railway books there are several pictures where the author comments that the head code is "incorrect for this working".

I'm referring to diesel alpha-numeric codes.

so how common was this, and was it simply up to the driver to wind the code in correctly? wasn't this for signalmen to identify passing trains?

thanks. :)

...incorrect headcodes did happen but the day to day experience of railway staff e.g. signalmen would tell them what the train was and how it was usually dealt with (routeing, shunting etc). Many trains had nicknames e.g. 'the Scotch' or 'the trip' etc. Also, the block telephone/party line between boxes (usually the ongoing conversation between boxes during quieter moments) was an ideal opportunity to advise your colleagues of what was coming. Remember that disc headcode locos ran throughout this period and they simply advised of the class of train.

Cheers

Dave

even in my limited collection of railway books there are several pictures where the author comments that the head code is "incorrect for this working".

I'm referring to diesel alpha-numeric codes.

so how common was this, and was it simply up to the driver to wind the code in correctly? wasn't this for signalmen to identify passing trains?

thanks. :)

I believe it was normally one of the duties of the second man to set the head code correctly.

cheers

Looking at some of the photos do Croxley Depot a lot of the Class 501's displayed codes that were not correct. I think the Southern Region were the best at keeping headcodes correct as a lot of trains stayed on the same route all day long.

XF

And at least in the early 70s the platform timetables listed the headcodes against the service concerned so the onus was on the trian staff to get the code right for the service they were doing...

thanks for the replies. :)

so how many modellers bother putting in the correct head codes, and is there any point since it was apparently not that critical in real life?

mind you, I've also got several pics of DMUs displaying the wrong destination boards, so maybe I'm just making too much of this.

Archived