Looking at some photo`s of WPR ( Wemyss Private Railway  ) signals tonight, I noticed something curious to the Wemyss system - they were so frugall that the errection of telegraph poles was a major expence, signal post finials were used to save money. The Wemyss system was signalled by "Stevens & son" of Glasgow & London with the same equipment as supplied to the North Brittish Railway

post-11150-0-10452300-1366664389.jpg

East Wemyss, photo courtesy of Peter Westwater

post-11150-0-77879100-1366664479.jpg

Bracket signal, photo courtesy of Peter Westwater

The bracket for the telegraph wire appears to be a piece of wood with a hole drilled in the centre slipped over the "Stevens & son" ball type finial.

I may be wrong, but may I suggest, the line arm above the signal, is either for a lamp or signal repeater? Top photo, there is a conventional telegraph pole with several line arms and insulators some yards behind the signal. Mick.

The incline in the first photo was carrying the WPR over the NBR Buckhaven branch west of  Wemyss Castle station, the telegtaph pole in the photo was on the Buckhaven branch ( which terminated at Methil station )

post-11150-0-11546200-1366673405.jpg

Methil station

photo courtesy of Peter Westwater

Thanks for your reply, you can't beat local knowledge and knowing the area.

How are the signal and locking frame restorations comming on? Mick.

Check out Signal A & E on the preservation Forum - we hope to have our first full size NBR signal planted in the next few weeks - cheers Mick

Archived