dc kits class 304

This arrived through the post the other day and i had a quick look at it this evening and it looks a lot more involved than i was expecting!! So before i rush head long in and make a right hash of it has anyone else built one and if so any tips to share that will make the process a bit easier. im only planning on building it as i am hoping to get it painted by someone who can actually paint! i havent built any form of plastic kit for a good number of years so any advice would be gratefully received.

steel rule, will pop that on the shopping list! by door stops i assume you mean a rubber block or similar to stop the doors slamming onto the bodywork when opened? im currently searching and bookmarking lots of prototype photos as well

doorstops, I like to use brass wire 0.5mm sticking through a small hole to represent the rubber. superglued in . Similar wire can be used for handrails

You can get etched hinges (some may come in the kit), though I quite like the brass pins approach. When I did them on my 120 I used them like this http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14046-bulleid-coach-door-hinges-a-new-perspective/?hl=%2Bbrass+%2Bpins+%2Bhinges&do=findComment&comment=148541

as I did not like the ones in the kit

Simon

Also consider taking time to make a drilling jig..

With the stock having so many additions around the doors getting them in same position can be daunting.

Lace making pins are as mentioned in the above thread a very useful purchase, for a number of things.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

How are you getting on with the kit? Have you gathered all the tools and components that have been mentioned above?

Looking forward to hearing how your getting on.

Mark

hi mark, have gone so far as to get all the bits out of the box, ive seperated them into the 3 different coaches and making a start on cleaning up all the little bits of flash on various parts happened last night. am off to b and q at some point this weekend to get some more wood to build more baseboard framing so will pick up a steel rule. for the hinges and bits and bobs as mentioned above im not sure yet. hopefully soon ill have some progress worthy of photos to add.

After having issues with mu DC Kits Class 501 I made the bodies and mounted them on Bachmann  coach chassis's which made them for more robust and reliable. I was lucky as  I had some spare chassis's from other coaches which were had donated there parts to the building om my Bachmann based Class 501's

XF

Archived