Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

USATC S160 Locomotive in 7mm scale (well that's the plan)

At first glance, a lot of the detail photos in post 28 indicated to me that the US lost wax castings in the Cal Scale lines ( now sold by Bowser) would have been useful - till I remembered that they are HO scale & 1/4" rather than 4mm & 7mm -back to the drawing board?

Dave

• 2 months later...

post-5983-0-75079500-1376853917.jpg

post-5983-0-93724700-1376853940.jpg

This is the type of plate I would need, I'm wondering whether it would be GR on the shield rather than ER.

Could any one shed any light on the plate on the cab side. Must be a military shield mat be the transportation corps crest?

post-5983-0-91116900-1376853960.jpg

Longmoor Military Railway 700 under repair at the works of W. G. Bagnall in Stafford on 27th March 1954. This loco was Alco 71512 of 1944 and had previously carried the numbers USATC 3257 and WD 93257.

post-5983-0-92373700-1376853987.jpg

This S-160 was acquired by the Longmoor Military Railway in 1945 and ran as WD 93257 "Carl R Gray Jr" (reportedly at one time named "Maj-Gen Carl R Gray Jr"). It was built by Alco at Schenectady in New York state in 1944 as works number 71512. Behind the tender is one of the GWR Dean Goods 0-6-0s taken over by the War Department.

post-5983-0-51330900-1376854008.jpg

For my own S160 I'm thinking of the above loco LMR no 700. I would have to have the plates especially made for it.

attachicon.gif 

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

As 'Stationmaster' pointed out, this was taken at Tonteg.

For those familiar with the general area we are looking more or less south, toward Cardiff, with Treforest and Pontypridd at our backs- the former Upper Boat Power Station is visible behind the trees, and hidden behind that would be the Treforest Trading (or Industrial) Estate.

Brian R

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank every one who has contributed to this thread so far and I'm now going to ask you for more help. Any one who is near to a S160 at any one of the preserved railway that has one could you get some dimensions of the USA and the cab numbers. I would like to commision a set of transfers so that when the kit is available we have the transfers to suit and to decorate it sample model when we get that far.

Also if any members are visiting the Severn Valley I need the sizes of the LMR off Gordon and the cab side numbers.

Many thanks

I do intend on getting them my self but if your planning a visit shortly then every little helps

Thanks All

Thought: You might want to ask Fox Transfers whether they've been asked to produce anything for full-size S160s - after all, they do produce transfer sheets for the real thing.

Looking at drafting the development for boiler and smokebox. I still can't see if the taper is on the top or the bottom of the boiler. I have one drawing that shows "top", and another that shows "bottom".

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I promised some photos to the OP ages ago ... here are two 35mm slides I took at Grosmont on 1 October 2005.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-35614600-1379090156.jpg

post-14389-0-34810900-1379090169.jpg

Edit: and two more shots taken the same day. I can only guess I swapped to a different brand of film during the day, the scanner settings are the same ...

post-14389-0-03183400-1379101635.jpg

post-14389-0-59548800-1379101651.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Apparently, 2253 may be for sale.....

Latest reports suggest a change of mind.

Story is they have the one from Churnet on loan and like it. As a result they are talking about doing 2253 up incorporatings some mods done to the operating one that address some of the problems that the class normally has

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

really intersting project. I might be able to help as I have a lot of photographs of the locomotives during their service life in Greece in b&w but also in colour. If you are interested just contact me and I ll see what I can help. In any case I would be intersted in 1 or 2 kit of the loco in order to make the of Greek prototype!

Cheers

Andreas

Hi Steve,

really intersting project. I might be able to help as I have a lot of photographs of the locomotives during their service life in Greece in b&w but also in colour. If you are interested just contact me and I ll see what I can help. In any case I would be intersted in 1 or 2 kit of the loco in order to make the of Greek prototype!

Cheers

Andreas

Any info will be great fully received.

Many thanks

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Latest reports suggest a change of mind.

Story is they have the one from Churnet on loan and like it. As a result they are talking about doing 2253 up incorporatings some mods done to the operating one that address some of the problems that the class normally has

...and another change of mind. Apparently, 2253 is up for sale again....

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bogies for the tender, finally arrived from the good old US of A today along with a customs charge!!!

£28 including shipping then an extra £13 for the shower in Whitehall.

Not bad as the wheels are included note the springs as well.

These are American O scale so are to small but they will give us a good guide for doing them in proper 7mm post-5983-0-06432900-1395776896_thumb.jpg

Things are ticking over slowly but surely.

Nearest equivalent in 4mm scale is the Cambrian "AAR" bogie set.

Hang on bud, we're talking in the big boys toys bracket now. O gauge first, then the small fry. Just wait your turn.

OzzyO.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived