New special interest - Radio Control

There is an extensive thread about battery operated radio controlled locos here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64616-battery-poweredradio-controlled-locos/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1024697

and an even longer thread about radio controlled road vehicles here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18108-radio-controlled-road-vehicle/

Would it be possible to create an extra entry under "Special Interests" called "Radio Control" and which would either have links to the above threads, or duplicate them on a read-only basis, or, indeed move the threads to the new location.

Both of these threads are likely to be of a much wider interest than the relatively narrow groups where they are presently located. I could sympathize if the 7mm+ group might not like their radio controlled vehicle thread moved away from them, but perhaps they could see the bigger picture. The thread on battery  powered locos is almost impossible to find - why would anyone look under "2012 Challenge" - and even that seems to have disappeared since I started writing this.

Thanks

...R

• RMweb Gold

Who is this message intended for? Other members, or the forum admin? If the latter, try "reporting" it, and then it will come to their notice at once. Far too many entries every day for the admin team to read every one.

Thanks.

How does one report it - I thought that was the purpose of this Forum.

...R

Who is this message intended for? Other members, or the forum admin? If the latter, try "reporting" it, and then it will come to their notice at once. Far too many entries every day for the admin team to read every one.

• RMweb Gold

There's the word 'Report' next to the 'Multiquote' and 'Reply quoting this post' at the bottom right hand corner of each post, but don't worry because I used that function earlier this afternoon so somebody should be aware.

As I'm not sure there would be sufficient content to justify a special interest area could I suggest creating a topic in the Electrics-non DCC section with pretty much the information you,very written above as a catch-all topic for radio control?

Thanks, Andy

Thanks, Andy

I can easily do this but it won't do exactly what I'm hoping for which is to have a front-page link that guides people without the need to "find" it somewhere else - because you might not know there was anything to find.

I will hold-off creating the topic until I hear further from you.

By the way someone else said I should have used the "report" link to get your attention. I thought that was only for use when something was offensive or, for example, a breach of copyright. Can you advise?

Thanks

...R

As I'm not sure there would be sufficient content to justify a special interest area could I suggest creating a topic in the Electrics-non DCC section with pretty much the information you,very written above as a catch-all topic for radio control?

Thanks, Andy

'Reporting' a topic does give an alert to something (can't read everything on here to keep up to speed with all content) hence popping back in.

I honestly don't feel that there's likely to be sufficient volume of content to merit a distinct area for it. Prove me wrong with a substantial topic and the need for participants to discuss more aspects and I can reconsider.

Thanks,

• RMweb Premium

Trouble is, Andy, that this subject is a bit of a homeless child at present. It doesn't really fit in Electrics (Non-DCC) or DCC. The main discussions have revolved around on-board battery power (as distinct from track power) and control of the locos by radio control via electronic circuits which may or may not be DCC based.

It is a technology which is developing both by commercial enterprises and also amateurs, many of whom are reporting their findings through the medium of RM Web.

It may be perceived not to have a broad interest base at present but we could foresee that it may develop into a subject of more general interest to the hobby in the future.

I think all that may mean that I support the setting up of a special interest group!

David

Thanks David,

And I hope Andy will read this also...

It's not so much that I want a separate area for discussion - rather what I want is a front page signpost to the fact that there are discussions about radio control on the Forum. At the moment if someone browses the front page they would have no idea that such an interesting topic exists.

It's a bit like a supermarket being satisfied that there is no demand for cornflakes because they don't stock them. Au contraire supermarkets stock first to create demand.

Thanks

...R

Trouble is, Andy, that this subject is a bit of a homeless child at present. It doesn't really fit in Electrics (Non-DCC) or DCC. The main discussions have revolved around on-board battery power (as distinct from track power) and control of the locos by radio control via electronic circuits which may or may not be DCC based.

It is a technology which is developing both by commercial enterprises and also amateurs, many of whom are reporting their findings through the medium of RM Web.

It may be perceived not to have a broad interest base at present but we could foresee that it may develop into a subject of more general interest to the hobby in the future.

I think all that may mean that I support the setting up of a special interest group!

David

Archived