Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

JLTRT Castle Build

Hi all

after lurking on this forum for a long time I have decided to put up details of my Castle build from the JLTRT kit.

Already Ozzyo has been a great help in supplying support and details of his builds.

I have loved The Castle class since I was a schoolboy rushing out of school in the early sixties to see the 4.10 express go thro Gloucester from Cheltenham. This was pulled by a castle and I fell in love with this mighty beast. I train spotted around Gloucester as well so Ince Castle is my intended build - this was one of the last of this class to be scrapped and one I saw often 

post-11751-0-91227100-1367249223_thumb.jpg

perhaps a little tidy up in in order!!!!!

I find I am a very messy builder and usually have to tidy up when it takes more than 5 minutes to find the tool I need.

post-11751-0-39707900-1367248852_thumb.jpg

a tidier work area - this is the two side frames on with early springs removed and the other awaiting there removal

post-11751-0-15901000-1367249449_thumb.jpg

now I have a problem as you can see the spring on the right needs straightening but even very careful bending resulted in the spring on the left - anyone know how to straighten the castings and also repair the broken one?

I intend to put in sprung hornblocks and a compensated chassis - more details as the build goes on

Once again thanks Ozzyo for you inspiration

Bob Hiam

• Like 6

Could you file/grind off the mock nuts and bolts holding the spring to it's hanger, then drill and replace with small diameter brass nuts and bolts, or brass studding and nuts?

I intend to put in sprung hornblocks and a compensated chassis

Hi Bob,

Did you really mean both springing and compensation or should it be hornblocks with compensation?

You don't usually do both as you will end up with one system working against the other!

Regards

Sandy

Hello Bob,

JLTRT will normal replace any casting, as long as you send them the bad / damaged one and the cost of P&P., be it a bad casting or one that has been damaged by the builder. 

Are you using the S.D.K.? if you are, I'd solder the frames together and aim to get something like this.  

post-8920-0-69363200-1367274746_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-37654500-1367274767_thumb.jpg

For straightening the spring castings I use a straight edge to first get the face that will fit against the frames flat, then get the lip in line. Then after you have soldered them to the frames a bit of bending to get them all in line.

Farren, the curve in the frames is nothing to worry about, most etched kits have it, it's just that you tend to see it more in 7mm due to the size. Some time it's due to a lot of half etching on one side of the metal and the other side been just as roiled. This is one of the best examples that I have seen, 

post-8920-0-24061500-1367275714_thumb.jpg

Nickel silver is worse than brass for showing this up. 

The same tender sides and back.

post-8920-0-83900700-1367275980_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-12124800-1367276002_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

• Like 7

A castle build. I will be watching with interest. The best loco ever built, well in my humble opinion.post-5983-0-86430600-1367326423_thumb.jpg

My castles, well 5043 will be again soon, both built by Ozzy and I've already got a set of plates for 4037 so she will make it three one day.

• Like 9

"Another" castle build.....hmmm.... why does no-one build an A4?

Why not? There is a lot more of them than A4s. But I think that a lot of us would like to see some more of your build.

OzzyO.

• Like 3

just wonder how many castles as ozzy built 

Hello Farren,

I'm not sure, but it will be something like 8-12 of them not including any Stars. This about the only Castle type that I have not done up to now.

post-8920-0-62370000-1367429116_thumb.jpg

This was only on about four locos. Apart from this I think that I've done all of the front end's

OzzyO.

• Like 3

Bob you will certainly get help on here, I should know. And the bonus is you make Friends.

You should see my work ( dining room table ) Bench, yours is just an untidy tidy mess :)

Keep Posting Bob.

Regards

Grasshopper John.

I've now got the 188 degree solder, so can go back to mine any time soon.

I think I might start up another thread and copy the actual building bits to it, try to keep it clearer. The original suffered badly from me waffling too much and building too little.

• Like 1

Hello Farren,

I'm not sure, but it will be something like 8-12 of them not including any Stars. This about the only Castle type that I have not done up to now.

attachicon.gifcastle 4088 1960s.jpg

This was only on about four locos. Apart from this I think that I've done all of the front end's

OzzyO.

Plenty of time for that.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

sorry lovely photo of a castle but I can't see any difference. But I am on a ebook at the moment so small screen. or is it because it's GWR  :jester:

Jeffp I think the waffa can help to see the thinking going on and aid others in their projects 

sorry lovely photo of a castle but I can't see any difference. But I am on a ebook at the moment so small screen. or is it because it's GWR  :jester:

Jeffp I think the waffa can help to see the thinking going on and aid others in their projects 

She's got a Davies and metcalf mechanical lubricator. Only a few where fitted with them.

Hello farren,

as Steve has mentioned it's it's the lubricator set up, have a look at this close up photo.

post-8920-0-68587000-1367446416_thumb.jpg

JeffP, keep the same thread going as at least all of us that have started to follow it won't have to start looking for a new thread.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo
  • Like 3

I have just been idly trying to cross reference OzzyO's comment about three or four Castles having had the same arrangement of lubricator.  I checked Nocks GWR Stars Castles and Kings and on p133 of vol 2 there is a good photo of 4087 Cardigan Castle at Laira (in my experience,one of the hardest sheds to bunk!) also with the same arrangement. 

• Like 1