Tri-ang Big Big train MKII cut and shut and Easybuild Mk1's.

Thanks Bernard.

I think we actually covered the Mk2z designation earlier, proving once again that I really am as thick as a whale omlette with a memory like a sieve! I'll have a look to see if I can find some 80's reference material on these types.

Hi Al.

As luck would have it, I have been in Masham this weekend and so swung by Leeming Bar Station. As a result, I think I can confidentally say that this is what you're trying to describe.....

attachicon.gif20131027_114330.jpg

attachicon.gif20131027_114337.jpg

I'll re-route the trunking accordingly. I also managed a couple of shots to assist in getting the top of the seat backs to the right height.....

attachicon.gif20131027_114215.jpg

attachicon.gif20131027_114150.jpg

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean,

Spot on, thats a Wensleydales 2a is it not. The unit(small one) with the two lamps on is is the regulator/rectifier and the big box is the water heater control panel, the small box that is next to that is the lighting contol/fuse box.

Al taylor

Indeed it is a Wensleydale Mk2a Al. Thanks for pointing out the various uses of the boxes, it's a great help. As a result, here's my modified attempt at a 7mm version. Not quite right, but as near as I'm likely to be able to achieve.....

attachicon.gif20131027_222634.jpg

I made the trunking from some fuse wire wrapped around brass rod and have, (hopefully), routed it nearer to the prototype. I've also added the cables from the adjacent box which appear to disappear underneath the chassis.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi 

The cable go in to a conduit on the early Mk2s, this conduit go to the centre of the vehicle and the cables drop down to the alternator.

Al Taylor

It was standard practice to line up with the LH edge of windows (normally ignoring the toilet window which was often only on one side) - check all the others out on Paul's site. It applies to the NSE markings too, where to top of the angled lozenge lines up that way.

The seat moulding has come out well!

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1

Hi all.

Here's a quick update on my resin moulding adventures. Having made the master and used it to make a mould, today, I made my first cast. Having used syringes to ensure that I had exactly the same amounts of both parts, I mixed the resin and poured it in. About 5 minutes later, I was rather perturbed to see a frothing mass bubbling up out of the mould.....

attachicon.gif20131029_185024.jpg

..... I let it do what it had to do and to my relief, the resin solidified and about an hour or so later, I plucked up the courage to remove the casting from the mould.....

attachicon.gif20131029_185728.jpg

..... Ok, so there's a heck of a lot of flash to remove, but to all intents and purposes, the cast itself looks just like the master. Bizarrely, I've just had a go at a second casting and it is presently also frothing and expanding nicely!

As an aside, I found a nice picture of a Mk2 on the Paul Bartlett photo site.....

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mark2coach/h65a341c5

..... Showing 5170 with "ScotRail" branding. I thought that it would be nice to replicate this, but couldn't find any of the correct transfers, so had a go with Letraset.....

attachicon.gif20131029_204431-1.jpg

..... The font is not exactly right, being a little thin and not "rounded" enough but I think it's close enough for all but the purists. I think the positioning of the branding is rather strange? If it had have been me applying the transfer, (on the real vehicle), I would have centralised it under the window. I may use some "modellers licence" and re-position it.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

The transfers look good on that coach.  The positioning of transfers by BR staff always seemed to vary slightly anyway and if you hadn't pointed it out, I'd never have noticed the font was different to the prototype either.  Isn't that always the way!

All the best,

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work there Sean on the seats.

Do you have any close up pics or help of the fittings/arms that work the vacuum cylinders ( sorry if this is the wrong terminology). I have fitted two vac cylinders to the underframes but now need to detail around them with the linkage etc.

ooking forward to your next installment.

Rob

Hi Sean,

I think we at the same stage. I've been making some seats for a rake of JLTRT mark 2b so have moulded these. ..

post-11695-0-35905800-1385121336_thumb.jpg

These are the prototype which I quickly painted up in order to highlight any faults (the main one being the hand painted primer which was a bit grainy). As you can see they are sited in a laser cut floor that come with the JLTRT kits. As I've got alot to do I made a mould which can accommodate 32 seats.

post-11695-0-04274500-1385121730_thumb.jpg

These are the output from one set of mouldings.

post-11695-0-26588600-1385121814_thumb.jpg

These are all made from the scratch built original

post-11695-0-76629500-1385121889_thumb.jpg

Your coach is now light years ahead of the triang original, in virtually every aspect. Next job for me is to put on the NSE donkey stripe transfers on.

Regards

Vin

• Like 6

Hi Sean,

I think we at the same stage. I've been making some seats for a rake of JLTRT mark 2b so have moulded these. ..

attachicon.gifcoach seating 030.jpg

These are the prototype which I quickly painted up in order to highlight any faults (the main one being the hand painted primer which was a bit grainy). As you can see they are sited in a laser cut floor that come with the JLTRT kits. As I've got alot to do I made a mould which can accommodate 32 seats.

attachicon.gifcoach seating 033.jpg

These are the output from one set of mouldings.

attachicon.gifcoach seating 034.jpg

These are all made from the scratch built original

attachicon.gifcoach seating 026.jpg

Your coach is now light years ahead of the triang original, in virtually every aspect. Next job for me is to put on the NSE donkey stripe transfers on.

Regards

Vin

Hi Vin,

Very impressive. I too am at the stage of making a master so i can mould some seats ( well a lot actually, as i have 7x TSO's ).

Would it be possible for you to take a couple of pictures of the underframe detail. Im mainly looking at the vacuum cylinder and what goes around it. 

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Sean,

I see what you mean regarding the thickness of the body. Especially around the lower bodyside curve. On the JLTRT coaches the bodyside is a constant 2.5mm thick all the way through the curve. Which means the seats end up outside the underframe.

post-11695-0-47153500-1385832355_thumb.jpg

As this photo from my archive of 9714's interior shows the overhang of the fitted seat. If you put the seats in the tri-ang mark2 butted up to the interior bodyside it would only give you a gangway width of 4mm. The only suggestion I can give to mod them is to use a slitting disc from the outside edge of the headrest down and through the seat base. Thus removing 2mm off each seat  and one of the arm rests.

Back to the drawing board...

Vin

Hi Sean,

I have just had a look at the latest developments on the coach.   The paint finish looks exemplary and I would never have guessed that the coach's origin was from one of those Big, Big Train 'Almost like the Real Thing - if you were eight at the time' vehicles!

The fit of the seats is a bit of a set back, but I reckon reducing the pair of seats proportionally in width would be the best bet - they will always be seen side-on.  The other possibility, removing one wing,  would mean having handed pairs and the lack of a wing would surely show through those nice clear window panes (there were no curtains on this stock were there?!).  Having the right gap in the centre gangway is going to be the most important feature to get right. 

All this is all only my opinion of course, so good luck whatever you choose to do!

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Using the theory that a picture paints a thousand words, hopefully these will explain what I was trying to describe in the post above.....

attachicon.gif20131203_190423.jpg

attachicon.gif20131203_190521.jpg

In the second picture, the seat is just laid onto the side of the coach. When it is stuck down, it will follow the line of the horizontal "rib". I will probably add the tables and partitions to the coach body too to avoid the risk of damage if I have to ever part the body/chassis. Fortunately, I managed to cast these two seats from the old moukd, so am hoping a liberal coating of latex will do the trick. I might pour some on the seats too.....

I suspect I'll have to paint the interior a decent shade of Brown too.....

Cheers.

Sean.

How are you going to get the body over the seats?

• Like 1

this is a brilliant project it shows what can be done with a model that starts out okay but basic and then creating something from it which is so well done it would pass as rtr to me

i had a few similar coaches ages ago mk2s and the chap who i bought them off spent time making them from plasticard and covering in a vinyl print the sides

• Like 1

i think its how a post on here and on any other site should be, encouraging modellers and their efforts. i knew a man who was a good friend at a club i used to go. he had a layout featured in a magazine this year. he modelled in tt scale everything he made himself or converted from other items. to me it was an eye opener to just what can achieved in conversion work

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.

So, much the same as the beginning of May, I'm all packed up for my fortnight in North Yorkshire.....

attachicon.gif20131208_175421.jpg

The shot glasses and skewers are not for whiskey and kebabs, but for mixing resin, (unfortunately).

I'll update on my arrival.....

Cheers.

Sean.

But alcohol is an important part of getting better!

• Like 1

Hi Sean,

I will be watching this build with interest , having built several Easybuild Mk1's i find the kits to be very user friendly and make up to be a nice coach.

I too left off the hinges until i had sprayed the coaches in there livery ( make sure you have checked all hinge positions are all pre- drilled ). I then fixed them in with superglue using a cocktail stick and glueing from inside the coach . These can then be touched in with paint.

I noticed your bogies , you haven't fitted the wheels yet. This may cause you a problem. I always fit ( push fit ) the bearings into the sideframes and build the bogies up with the wheels as to get them level this is where a piece of glass comes in handy.

I am just finishing ( well not just because its been lat this stage for several weeks while i've been working on the Mk2's ) an Easybuild Mk1 TSO. I've just fitted the tables.

post-6779-0-32610400-1386706060.jpg

and here are pics of a couple of my Mk1's

post-6779-0-92792300-1386706159.jpg

Sorry for the hyjack of your thread.

Oh BTW Shawn at Easybuild will supply you with whichever type of bogie you want for that coach eg B4 , BR1 or Commonwealth etc. if you tell him at the time of purchase.

Rob

post-6779-0-13217100-1386706189.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Sean,

Sucess!! Well done on the seats only sixteen tables to make.

I like the mark1's. Are you going to make the BSO into one of the Scotrail BSOT? I'll post some pictures of my Scotrail BSO when I get home.

I remember having the same problem with the ends as well. I seem to remember I sanded the inside of the roof with a sanding drum in a dremel to reduce the thickness of the roof plastic and so it sat correctly on the ends.

Regards

Vin

• Like 1

Hi Sean,

The 'T' in BSOT stands for trolley. As the seating bay was removed and replaced with a counter. Which had a rectangle cut into the top so the trolley could be placed inside. Page 51 of Parkin' mark 1 coaches book has a photo of one. Mine on the other hand was a standard BSO.

post-11695-0-33320000-1386795220_thumb.jpg

You can see where the roof was sanded on the inside edge to reduce its thickness. Also note this coach ran on B4 bogies.

post-11695-0-29892200-1386795357_thumb.jpg

This the interior of the coach which came with the kit.

post-11695-0-57291600-1386795825_thumb.jpg

This end of the coach which in yours will be the buffet counter (Only the furthest left bay needs removing).

Hope this helps.

Vin

• Like 2