Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Tri-ang Big Big train MKII cut and shut and Easybuild Mk1's.

BR discontinued the use of Periscopes in August 1963 (though on the Southern they continued a bit longer) after which they were removed from the roof - certainly none of the BSOT's would have had them still in place and at best would have been plated over.

Hi Sean,

What superb shots of your interiors.  The second shot going clockwise actually looks like a photo of the real thing and the seating looks just right when glimpsed through the windows.  It is a brave person to post such crisp close-ups of their work : your paint finish and lining is to a professional standard. Great stuff!

All the best,

Colin

Cheers Bob. I didn't think I'd seen any. I wonder why models of the mark1 from several different manufacturers still mould them in position?

Vin

I'd guess most like to cover as many periods paint-wise with as few versions as possible - they'd be wholly appropriate for BR Crimson & Cream and for the BR Maroon variants up to a point - for the Blue & Grey's though it would be best without them.  Bachmann in 4mm scale substitute the periscope of course with a flat blanking panel.

Sean, I can only echo Colin's comments, these vehicles are looking great.....

Regards,

Just really the door handles and grab handles to do and then for now, this one is about done. One thing I am having trouble with finding is some screws to fit the body to chassis. If anyone has a couple spare, or knows where I can get some, or even what size/thread they should be, I'd be grateful to hear from you.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean

If you are using the original threaded inserts in the roof, these are 6BA.

Regards.

I'd guess most like to cover as many periods paint-wise with as few versions as possible - they'd be wholly appropriate for BR Crimson & Cream and for the BR Maroon variants up to a point - for the Blue & Grey's though it would be best without them.  Bachmann in 4mm scale substitute the periscope of course with a flat blanking panel.

Sean, I can only echo Colin's comments, these vehicles are looking great.....

Regards,

Similarly the end steps are still modelled on most Mk1 coaches even though they were removed over 50 years ago !

Looking forward to seeing the Mk2 finished, I have one, from 2 bib big coaches unfinished from about 30 years ago, inspiration now to get on with it.

Merf.

Looking really good Sean.

All it needs now is some bums on seats.

Err, excuse me are you allowed to say bum on RMWeb?

I don't know, I'll ask...................excuse me are you allowed to say bum on RMWeb?

I don't know, I'll ask...................excuse me are you allowed to say bum on RMWeb?

Yes you are.

OK thanks, I'll pass it on...............yes you are allowed to say bum on RMWeb

OK thanks, I'll pass it on...............yes you are allowed to say bum on RMWeb

Oh good. Bum,bum,bum,bum,bum,bum..............bum,bum,bum,bum,bum

(Adapted from a Kenny Everett sketch)

Hi Sean,

Thanks for posting the photos on how you paint blue/grey liveried models. When scrolling down from the first photo, I thought that you were going to say that you were masking off for the white lining as the strips looked so neat. Painting has always been a weak part of my modelling. I can still recall the horrors of painting my 4 CIG in blue/grey, so I shall refer to your methods in the future no doubt.

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

Hi Sean,

That's the same method of masking I use. It's only downfall is when there is a door hinge just behind the curve (usually on BSK's) which can distort the curve and generally be a pain. For cutting the curve I've made a brass former which I cut round but that depends on how many you're planning to paint? As for the lining I've been using the Fox ones after the HMRS changed the way they made them. The Fox lining needs to be cut into manageable strips as they have a tendency to stretch on application. Then shrink as they dry which in the worst case snaps the lining. The corners for the Fox ones go on really easily but any method will test your sanity!!!

Keep up the great work.

Vin

Hi guys, 

I agree about the price of transfers and the prices seem to go up all the time. I have just placed an order to Fox for white lines and corners plus some coach numbers and when i proceeded to checkout i was shocked to see it was going to cost me £35.

The only saving grace is that this will be enough for about 8 x coaches as oppossed to about 4 with the HMRS sheet ( when its in stock ).

I dont know if this will help but as regards masking when the hinges are on , i found it to be a nightmare. I now pre-drill all holes for the hinges but leave them off untill i have lined the coach then glue on . I then touch in with Railmatch paint ( from the small jars ). This process works for me.

BTW Sean thanks for the info about the transfers.

I am now waiting for a little warmer weather so i can get some primer then black on the chassis for my big big mk2's. I have also got together with a couple of mates and ordered some window etches for the bodies.

Rob

• Like 2

Hi Sean,

The pics of the coach look excellent you have made a fantastic job. All you need now is another 6 or 7 to make the rake. You are doing a BG so would just need the 6 or 7 more mk2's to make a very nice rake.

The hinges are Easybuild, you always get spares on the etch fret and over the year with the several Easybuild coach kits ive made i have accumulated quite a lot of spare hinges.

Rob

Hi Sean,

As regards couplings i have used Kadee's #805 for the inner rake ( easy to couple and uncouple) and JLTRT drop head buckeye for the outer end two vehicles. Although they were about £11 per pair they look nice.

I am now thinking of altering a Kadee so it will drop but it is only at the thinking stage.

Your pics of the finished coaches look fantastic.

PS dont forget to have a look on Western Thunder forum. You will see quite a bit of my stuff on my workbench.

Rob

• Like 1

Beautiful work on the MK2 and the Mk1's are equally impressive.

Now best try again in N and keep some of your fellow members happy.

Fine work Sean step by step and an inspiration to us all. Keep it up mate.

best regards

Eric & Gripper.

Edited by Eric & Gripper

Thanks for your kind words Colin.

As a cruel irony, the replacement B4 bogies and Mk1 interiors arrived from Easybuild yesterday, but with junior imminent, there's just no time left for me to do anything with them. This could turn into the longest coach build ever!

Stay tuned.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Family comes first of course, so modelling has to fit around real life, but if it's a boy you could always call him Mark (1) !

I'll get my coat...

Colin

Don't tell the missus there's a Mark (2) then!.....

Drat. You got to that punch line before me Sean! I just hope for Mrs Penguin's sake she isn't expecting triplet boys or it'll be Marks one, two and. er, three! I'm not sure how many babies it would take before one unfortunate child would be called Pendolino......

Seriously, though good luck to you both with the birth.

Colin

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

In light of recent events elsewhere on the forum, I have decided not to post any more of my projects in this thread or on the forum.

I have been asked to "Just walk away" and so before I do, I would just like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all of you who have contributed to this thread and offered advice and support to my various projects.

I will of course continue with my projects and sincerely hope to catch up with some or all of you in the future either in the virtual world of the internet or at various the various shows around the North.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Sean. 

• RMweb Gold

Not sure what has happened Sean (and I tend to try not to get involved) but I just wanted to say I have enjoyed this thread and your 7mm modelling undertaken to date having grown up with the BBT coaches.

Pete