Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

British Industrial Sand sidings - Holmethorpe, Redhill

Maybe we will have to do a sand train to run on Star Lane which is currently under construction by a friend. We have 33's and 73's to haul it.

Ian

It would certainly fit in with Star Lane and would be a fairly compact train to model. 33 + 6 hoppers?

• RMweb Premium

Enlarging the image a little, they're definitely branded Railease. The very fact that they're pictured in Redhill Up Yard would make me suspect they'd seen some action at Holmethorpe.

I'll confirm this from the original scan.......I should have gone to specsavers!

• Like 1

Had a good look out the window on our way home this evening and made a point of looking for the pink/purple bush just before Redhill and did indeed catch a glimpse ourselves of the end of the sand sidings as per the picture on page 1.

Must have gone up and down there 100 times and never noticed it.

• Like 2

They are Railease or more exactly Standard Wagon hoppers numbered in the SRW 185xx series and they are indeed in the sand traffic from Redhill to Warrington.  In October 1985 twenty three of them were hired by BR for various flows with about eight being used to supplement the British Industrial Sand PAA/PGA hoppers on that working.

Edited by davefreight

Just down the embankment from the top of the siding about level with the points there used to be an old grounded, wooden coach body (as in, go over the footbridge into Holmethorpe and in the garden of the first house on the left).

Of all the photos I have of Holmethorpe, I don't seem to have a photo of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just down the embankment from the top of the siding about level with the points there used to be an old grounded, wooden coach body (as in, go over the footbridge into Holmethorpe and in the garden of the first house on the left).

Of all the photos I have of Holmethorpe, I don't seem to have a photo of it.

I will see if I can get to the foorbridge in the next few days as never been on ro that .

Ian

Link doesn't seem to be working?

I know - I've spent ten minutes trying to figure it out... Let me try something else.

Try this (via Google Images). Can't figure out why the direct link doesn't work, it's exactly as it appeared in my browser.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?client=firefox-a&hs=Ugx&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1360&bih=682&tbm=isch&tbnid=CnOefQ7-OWKikM:&imgrefurl=http://sixties_southern.perso.sfr.fr/signalboxpage/holmethorpe01.html&docid=vZ96CA9K3mMXvM&itg=1&imgurl=http://sixties_southern.perso.sfr.fr/images/signalbox_images/holmethorpe01.jpg&w=700&h=540&ei=pS2XUfCuG4an0QWS9oHoDA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:6,s:0,i:99&iact=rc&dur=1235&page=1&tbnh=160&tbnw=231&start=0&ndsp=16&tx=134&ty=110

There's a couple of interior shots of Holmethorpe box and a signalling diagram on the same website.

Edited by Pete_S
  • Like 2

I don't think it's there any more - probably rotted away years ago.

I think you must be right - don't remember that at all. Something else that's passed into history without even a photo to remind us. Slightly (very) off-topic, but where I live now is just round the corner from William Marriot's house in Sheringham. He was locomotive superintendent for the M&GN. Quite a grand house that still exists and bears a plaque for anyone that's interested. I read that he had a grounded clerestory coach body manhandled into the garden for him to use as an office around the time Sheringham station and goods yard was being constructed. Bearing in mind this was 125 years ago, I knocked on the door and asked the current owner if any trace existed - there was nothing. Shame.

post-17811-0-45686800-1368864231_thumb.jpg

It's the right-hand house, you can just make out the plaque.

Edited by Pete_S

The basement of a Thai restaurant?  The mind boggles!

It's the idea of residents mining the sand from underneath their own houses.. It's like something out of Terry Pratchett, though most of the denizens of Ankh Morpock would have been digging under their neighbours, I suspect.
  • Like 1