RMweb

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Just a quick question, I have a few Hornby 142s, both the old style twin-motored ones and the newer version.  They all run averagely or poorly, and the wheels on most are starting to look pitted and dull.  I've done the usual cleaning of pick-ups, wheels, etc, but I'm thinking that it would probably be best just to replace the wheels with something better, in terms of looks and quality.  Can anyone recomend any in particular? I'd rather (at least at first) just replace the wheels rather than the whole motor etc too, to see if it improves any (replacing two motors on a few units could get very expensive quite quickly, and they don't see all that much use).

Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Thats what I was thinking - if no-one else has any other suggestions, it looks like being the way to go.

Thanks!

• 4 years later...

To revive this thread a bit (and hijack it) I'm producing an Arriva Trains Wales class 142 from spares acquired from various sources. It will be built to run on EM Gauge.

Currently I have to source wheels, naturally Hornby ones will be of little use so what diameter should I be buying?

Tim T

Answering my own question here!

Searching the RMWeb with its own search engine produced nothing but using Google produced the answer, ironically on RMWeb?

for those who wish to know they should prototypically be 10.5mm but (probably for production cost reasons) Hornby used standard 12mm ones

Tim T

I re wheeled one of the original ones years ago using the old style Jackson wheels. I found that if I removed the wheels from the axles and knocked out the insulating bushes they were a near perfect fit on the Hornby stub axles.