BR Intercity 250/Class 93

Hi All

The Intercity 250/Class 93 has been fascinating me for a while now. One thing I’d love to do is make a mock-up of it in 3D CAD (Sketchup), but for this I am struggling to find information.

I know it was only a proposal, but I know several renderings were done (well, four that I can find at least) and a mock-up of the cab still exists (at the Midland Railway Centre(?)). I’m more looking for any shots/info on the Mark 5 coaches and the Class 93 power unit i.e. drawings (no matter how basic), photos of the cab mock-up (particularly head on/interior) and similar.

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

IIRC the proposal from an engineering point of view was not much more than a slightly updated class 91 & Mk 4s fitted with tilt. While I agree that many of the artists impresions of the proposed stock do look different - thats in the nature of artists impressions. Until proper engineering drawings have to be prepared the detailed 'look' of the final product will be uncertain.

If you go to the National railway museum, there's a model of it in their warehouse hall which has recently opened. They may even have information about it in their library too.

Carl

Just noticed you're in Australia, going to York would be one hell of a trip! Still there's website and email.

If you go to the National railway museum, there's a model of it in their warehouse hall which has recently opened. They may even have information about it in their library too.

Carl

Just noticed you're in Australia, going to York would be one hell of a trip! Still there's website and email.

Found a shot of the model, and I am to shoot of an e-mail in the morning.

Thanks to everyone for your input into this.

Not sure if it is just the colour scheme but it looks remarkably similar to a Eurostar cab.

It certainly does, especially when compared to the model:

http://nationalrailwaymuseum.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/the-locomotive-that-doesnt-exist/

Interesting to note that the side that is meant to be the DVT (as shown above) has passenger windows. Considering that the idea for this was first drawn up not to long after this, it leads me to think that this may have had a key role in changing the rule of no passengers in a lead vehicle capeable of travelling in excess of 100mph.

Interesting to note that the side that is meant to be the DVT (as shown above) has passenger windows. Considering that the idea for this was first drawn up not to long after this, it leads me to think that this may have had a key role in changing the rule of no passengers in a lead vehicle capeable of travelling in excess of 100mph.

Are you sure that this is the DVT - it's got a pantograph! The rectangles you mean look more like grilles rather than windows to me (they are not as deep or as large as the ones on the coach behind).

Are you sure that this is the DVT - it's got a pantograph! The rectangles you mean look more like grilles rather than windows to me (they are not as deep or as large as the ones on the coach behind).

It has confused me too, but with the 80100 number on the side of the nose being a different number under TOPS compared to both the Class 93 and DVT numbering, I am lost. Otherwise it could just be smaller windows for a luggage area...?

The DVT having pantographs would be due to the model being a duel sided model (showing the front of the train on one side, and the rear on the other, hence the pantographed DVT).

The other thing is, if you have a look at the 'photograph' of the train, there is two small windows visible on the bodyside near the rear, but no 'larger' windows (I would assume that these would possibly be for a corridor):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/IC250_Cl93_2.jpg

(edited for missing content)

Yes - I think you are right about it being a duel-sided model. It almost looks like the model maker has got the numbers on the wrong side though. On the promotional photo, the window pattern looks like a Mk4 DVT pattern (several square-ish windows) but it is numbered 93001, whilst on the photo of the model taken by the NRM, it looks like a selection of grilles (more like a loco) but is numbered 80100.

Yes - I think you are right about it being a duel-sided model. It almost looks like the model maker has got the numbers on the wrong side though. On the promotional photo, the window pattern looks like a Mk4 DVT pattern (several square-ish windows) but it is numbered 93001, whilst on the photo of the model taken by the NRM, it looks like a selection of grilles (more like a loco) but is numbered 80100.

That actually makes very good sense...I'll have to have a re-think on the whole thing then.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

During a sort out I came across an 'Intercity 250' notepad that I must have acquired in my BR days.

It is quite nicely made with the IC250 appearing as a watermark in each leaf.

The project looked quite futuristic for its time.

I was booked for a 'staff' ride on the APT when it was being tested but I was ill at the time and couldn't go. A cause of much regret!

post-6728-0-80183700-1403781564_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-94767500-1403781650.jpg

I seem to recall that one of the ideas was to make the DVT a kitchen and luggage vehicle - that would certainly fit with those high-level 'windows' on the 'B' side of the model. The styling was not dissimilar to Ford's 'New Edge' of the late 1990s, about the time the train might have entered service.

Archived