Another cutting card question from me

I know I have seen the answer to this question somewhere on this forum but I am buggered if I can find it!!

So, what I trying to do at the moment is cut out all the little pieces of heavy card to glue together in blocks of three to make the parts for the dock edge in the scalescenes kit but I keep cutting the edges at an angle. I have seen a drawing of how to align the blade so it cuts straight down.

Could someone point me to the answer please?

Thanks

Tony

• RMweb Gold

What type of blade are you using? Scalpel blades are flexible and can bend, so not making a 'square' cut. On the other hand, something like a Stanley knife blade is thick and can result in a vee shaped groove being made.

Cheapo snap off blades from pound land. I have been holdin the blade at 90 degrees to the card but it always seems to cut at an angle. I did see a drawing somewhere that shewed the angle off the blade causing this, and how to hold/align the blade to stop it happening.

It was Chubber, I think, that posted the pic in question. What he showed was a knife blade which was flat on one side (the side against the straight edge) and beveled on the other, the theory being that a straight-down cut was made by such a blade. IIRC he explained that this was a carpet fitter's knife.

I have had a similar problem to yours while making the buttresses for the Scalescenes retaining wall. My solution, having tried to be a bit more careful about the cuts, was to glue the layered parts together, leave to dry, then sand flat with an emery board.

Edit to add:

Chubber's post with the pictures was here in response to your previous question!

It was Chubber, I think, that posted the pic in question. What he showed was a knife blade which was flat on one side (the side against the straight edge) and beveled on the other, the theory being that a straight-down cut was made by such a blade. IIRC he explained that this was a carpet fitter's knife.

I have had a similar problem to yours while making the buttresses for the Scalescenes retaining wall. My solution, having tried to be a bit more careful about the cuts, was to glue the layered parts together, leave to dry, then sand flat with an emery board.

Edit to add:

Chubber's post with the pictures was here in response to your previous question!

Oh God! I really need to go to specsavers!! oh wait, I did, another opticians then.

With regard to the sanding comment, I have tried sanding before, but I found that the edges of the grey board fell apart. I thought that maybe coating all the layered parts together with pva and letting it go hard might stop the flaking.

Hi, Anthony, I think post 14 here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69653-where-to-cut-scalescenes-parts/

is what you were referring to, and post 8 here  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71601-links-to-chubbers-3-part-scalescenes-guide/

has some relevance. You are right in supposing that a smear of PVA allowed to dry will make even 'fluffy' card sandable, the real answer is shellac, easier obtained as white knotting from a decorators suppliers. Be sure to buy the shellac/spirit based type as the synthetic does not work the same way.  Failing that, white French polish does just the same, leaving a hard compact surface.

Good luck,

Doug

Edited to say that you'll need some meths in another little bottle  in which to rinse your brush.

I know I have seen the answer to this question somewhere on this forum but I am buggered if I can find it!!

So, what I trying to do at the moment is cut out all the little pieces of heavy card to glue together in blocks of three to make the parts for the dock edge in the scalescenes kit but I keep cutting the edges at an angle. I have seen a drawing of how to align the blade so it cuts straight down.

Could someone point me to the answer please?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

That isn't as uncommon as it may first appear.

It's a bit of a mystery to me but when you cut into thick card, the knife biases outwards thus leaving an angle BUT, the opposide side is perfectly rectangular !!!!

So, I'm affraid Tony, it's all down to using a guillotine - so no straight answer I'm affraid.

Cheers.

Allan.

Archived