BRÜCKENHEIM (page three onwards)

HSB

Hello Howard,

quality has its own reward ... and I liked your picture immediately.

To be more precise, they are called 3yg-Umbauwagen and were short-coupled in pairs from 1955/56 in order to raise the top speed from 85 km/h to 100 km/h. After all was said and done, DB had built about 6500 of  them they were being used all over the place .. I dare say that you can run them as you like as in era 3 you find a prototype for anything. I have seen even pictures of consists pulled by class 103s ...

Best Regards,

Christian

Aunt Edith says: there were also 4yg-Umbauwagen => 8-wheels

Edited by cklammer

You could use a 4yg on Brückenheim - no prototypical issue with that. I think it that would look nice there as one is watching from the inside of the curve.

But documentation indicates that 4yg were not push-pull-train-equipped; unlike in the end (the vast majority) of 3yg or Donnerbüchsen.

Howard,

just try one - your friend Rod will convince anyway to do so, I am sure. That I can state with confidence after following Brückenheim and Ramchester for quite some time now! :onthequiet:

You do have generous minimum curve radii and the perspective will be from the inside of the curve. :senile:

But no pressure there :sungum:

Best Regards,

Christian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making slow progress with the tunnel mouth with a lot of work still to do. I decided to use some Slaters embossed plasticard for the basic stonework with the  larger blocks of masonry cut from plastic sheet.

post-12623-0-15607300-1513985357_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Howard,

may I suggest adding some steam/diesel soot at the top (around the capstone). Even if you run only diesel the tunnel would very likely have been built during Era I (Imperial times) and steam soot sticks forever!

It may even look real grungy :no:

Best Regards,

Christian

Much less surreal!

More seriously, Howard, the rocks are very steep - this is certainly not unrealistic in itself, but avoiding any overhangs seems to me to be important. You might also consider some netting to ensure any loose bits don’t fall on the track - might offer a scenic opportunity.

Google images of rock netting to see what I’m on about!

Hope it’s helpful

Best

Simon

Simon, I think rock netting is a relatively recent development. Certainly there has been a lot put up in my local area over the last decade or so but I don't remember any back in the Sixties before the days of Elf and Safety. Also, there are no overhangs on my cliffs.

• Like 1

Yes, I did wonder when it started to be used. I was in the Alps in December, and it is quite widespread, but of course, it could be quite recent. I delved briefly into the www, and found references to “30 years ago” and “1963”, but it was clearly not common in those days.

Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Best

Simon

Howard, Simon,

as Brückenheim (IIRC) is based in the Mittelgebirge, specifically Eifel, there would not have been any netting. At least I can not recall seeing any in the seventies and eighties. :mail:

Most of the area's rock is hard rock (no punning: I mean the hard rock that bangs one's head and not the hard rock one's head bangs to...). :scratchhead:

Best Regards,

Christian

• Like 1

Some rocky overhang here, but a bit too overgrown to see.....

....and I couldn't see any netting.

Regards, Deano.

post-26790-0-48189600-1516362153_thumb.png

Edit Location, North portal of Lydbrook Mierystock tunnel, Forest of Dean.

Edited by Deano747
  • Like 5

Moin Howard,

found some station histories from the Hochsauerland for you online; the author is a former railroad civil servant which documented several stations in his close local vicinity and is also running a private archive of the Bundesbahn semi-annual and special train time table books (Kursbuch).

The Hochsauerland and Bergisches Land is basically on the other side of the Rhine river from the Eifel and a bit more downstream.

On three web pages: an exhaustive history "Chronik des Bahnhofs Wiedenest im oberen Dörspetal" from opening 1903 to closure in the 1980ies. Every time table for every year is online, accompanied by selected Bahnhofsfahrordnungen and rules for running the local shunters for several shunters. Plus tons of unique contemporary photographs - "treasure trove" does not even begin to describe it! The author started working for the Bundesbahn at Wiedenest as a teenager fresh out school.

Some similar but not as exhaustive station pages on linked the above site: Bahnhof Kotthausen, Bahnhof Bergneustadt - 80 Years and Brügge (Westphalia) during the 1950ies and 1960ies.

You can download time tables, station rules and similar stuff for developing the prototypical operations of Brückenheim there.

I have only today found this site myself.

Best Regards,

Christian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now got the last of the rock faces moulded. I have used Tetrion filler for this as it gives much sharper rock detail than any other make I've tried. I will weather it and blend it in once the plaster has thoroughly dried out.

post-12623-0-18539500-1517268794_thumb.jpg

I have pinned a piece of black cartridge paper behind the tunnel this time.

• Like 6