Bachmann 1F

neal

My two where here when i came home from work. L M S and BR early crest. Gave them a quick run on the layout tonight. Both superb looking little locomotives super smooth runners even over my insulfrogs no stuttering or jerky moves.Very happy with them another winner from Bachmann well recommended

• RMweb Gold

My BR late crest one arrived this morning. Body removed, easy fitting for 6 pin decoder, light lubrication and as mentioned above a very smooth runner. Now I just need to find a driver and fireman from my "where are they" supply.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

The arrival of these has taken me by surprise, but perhaps there are advantages to ordering from a local retailer who sometimes doesn't get his order in the first tranche... time to save up?

Bought mine at Ian Allan in Birmingham, my usual source except for a few locos they don't order in.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Quick one Am i right with saying this is a right hand driven loco?. Will be fitting Bachmann driver & fireman in the cabs

Bachmann haven't provided a driver & Fireman for years - and IIFC none of their "Blue Ribbon" release have ever had them, only the split chassis designs dating back at least a decade.

If you require a set of crew there are plenty of options out there at a range of prices.

• RMweb Premium

My Grandad used to have a bit of an involvement with these locos back in the 1920s/1930s. He worked at Warsop Main colliery and they used to hire a loco from the LMS for shunting the colliery sidings. There were two regular locos, both Midland 1Fs from Mansfield shed, that worked for a week and then were swapped on a Sunday.

He did tell me the two numbers once upon a time but that was 30 plus years ago and I can't recall them now.

What was interesting is that they were both half cab locos and the people driving them at the colliery didn't like them, so the workshops at the colliery made up a rear half cab, that would be put on a loco when it arrived and be swapped to the other one at the weekend.

I often wonder if any photos exist of these two half cabs, running with their unofficial full cab conversion.

The model looks like a cracker and I may just have to have one for sentimental reasons, making it my 3rd RTR model in a year, which is more than in the last 10 years put together.

We really have never had it so good!

Tony 

Edited by t-b-g

Bachmann haven't provided a driver & Fireman for years - and IIFC none of their "Blue Ribbon" release have ever had them, only the split chassis designs dating back at least a decade.

If you require a set of crew there are plenty of options out there at a range of prices.

I think what Chris was asking was which side to fit a driver and fire man from Bachmanns loco crew set.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Tested my model today and sounds like a skeleton in a biscuit tin.

Is the motor supposed to be this loose?

Try tightening the screws that hold the motor yoke down.

They are occasionally loose when new.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know whether the Bachmann 6 pin decoder will fit. The instructions about conversion simply mention that the decoder needs to be compliant.

Thanks

I've used a Lenz 6-pin and there is plenty (well enough!) room so I would imagine Bachmann's own decoder (36-558A) will fit.

Keith

EDIT

Bachmann claim their decoder is 19 x 14 x 5mm, Lenz is 10.6 x 7.5 x 2.6mm

I would take the Bachmann claimed size with a pinch of salt as it would make it nearly as wide as their standard size decoder!!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't resist taking one apart.

post-6821-0-96413600-1410035493_thumb.jpg

With a Bachmann chip (36-558)

post-6821-0-59983500-1410035496_thumb.jpg

The motor is loose in its mount and can be rotated slightly by hand. It doesn't move when the loco moves, so doesn't seem to be a problem.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

HI folks,

I have now got two of them (BR 41661, and LMS 7125) and both are fantastic; no problems with broken part, running, or loose motors.

Neil (Nile), thanks for dismantling one as it offers some ideas as to what Bachmann may be able to do in the future as regards variants.  The only question I have is: how does the cab come off?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

With some difficulty. Most of the pipe work is attached to the backhead, which is part of the body molding, but one bit is attached to the cab front wall which slides up out of the body. Fortunately the pipes are quite flexible. There are lots of screws holding this thing together, check they are all out before trying to pull it apart.

Edited by Nile

Any listing anywhere of when 41708 has run open cab in preservation or is it a relatively simple alteration which means it can be either open or enclosed cab within a matter of hours.

No help on preservation, but the cab wasnt something to be switched out whenever you felt like it. It was part of the engine. Just like any other component. Yeah you COULD change it out but that would require workers, a workshop, and time. Not something for any odd day.