I've been giving thought to what I could achieve with a surplus 4'x8" pine shelf that i've inherited. A quick mock-up with some equally surplus Peco code 80 reveals that an N-gauge version of Dave 777's brilliant '£100 layout' is easily achievable in the space available.Modeling a 'half-relief' station and a couple of sidings certainly gives you a lot of railway for your available area. I imagine a down-at-heel urban station, lurking beneath an overbridge and rundown street in a seedy part of town, where the occasional DMU and even more occasional trip freight briefly disturbs the weeds and wildlife. 

The question is, where does inspiration cross the line into plagarism? I'm not sure if 'recycling' a layout idea is considered bad form, even if it isn't a direct copy...

• RMweb Gold

There are probably very few completely original layouts created these days - everything you've ever seen or read will influence what you do.

But, unless you copy exactly another layout, it's yours and not anyone elses.

I'd be flattered if anyone was to copy any of my 'layouts'.

• RMweb Premium

Some layout designs work better than others, the choice of arrangements is limited in smaller spaces and it is sensible to aim for something that works. Unless you try to make an exact copy of someone else's layout, your layout will be unique - for example, making a headshunt an inch longer or shorter can make a big difference to how a micro will work. It your inspiration comes from only one other layout, but you know it would work well for you, try making a mirror image reflecting it on one or both axes - I find this helps me to 'see' new ideas for scenic treatments. Try to add models of what you see or know of in real life rather than fixing down ready-made accessories. Whatever you do, it would only be plagiarism if you tried to pass it all off as your own idea - you could not do this accidentally, so no worries.

Thanks for the feedback chaps! It's always good to hear other viewpoints. I've been tinkering with the plans slightly, to iron out a couple of aspects about the track plan I wasn't keen on. I'll post some photos soon. I'm probably going to use Scalescenes papers for the majority of background scenics, with some plastic kits, or homebrews for the foreground buildings. The geographical location will be 'somewhere in Greater London', I'm not too bothered about using the wrong classes of loco or DMU, I'm more interested in creating a mood, or impression of era. As i'm freed of the artificial constraints of the original project, the layout will act as a test-bed for scenic treatments and honing my scratchbuilding skills. Oh, It's also gained a name. Hello 'Kitchener Road'!  

Progress! (of sorts). A rush of activity while SHMBO was out has resulted in most of the track for the visible area now being laid. As stated, I wasn't happy with the way that the running line fed directly into the industrial park on the original layout. I've decided to model the station as having cut back to form a terminus, with the tracks petering out amid weeds and undergrowth.post-15614-0-30844600-1368972911_thumb.jpg

None of the structures on the boards are going to be used- they're just to show the general impression. The outer siding will be a small coal depot and the kickback may either have a fuel unloading facility as per the original, or just be a repository for a couple of battered engineering wagons. The overbridge will be wider, to accomodate a road and pavements and a small parade of seedy shops will inhabit the lower right hand corner. A rusting set of stairs leading up to the road will create additional interest. The narrow space between the running line and the edge of the board is potentially reserved for a Scalescenes low-relief block of flats (or two).post-15614-0-57591800-1368973737_thumb.jpg

Even at this early stage, you get the idea. Here, a local service pulls into Kitchener Road

post-15614-0-20669500-1368973829_thumb.jpg

Pre-TOPS days, a parcels train arrives.

post-15614-0-98846100-1368973911_thumb.jpg

The next task will be to set up all the power feeds and complete the track layout 'off-scene'. Once the trains are running, construction of the platforms and overbridge can commence. Onwards!

• 1 month later...

Archived