Shepherds Yard (was Potter's Yard)

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I know I've got two layouts in the latter stage of planning (Shepherds Halt & Treamble Mine & Penhale Camp), and another one planned after that (Shepherds Station), but I have this itch to build another one, and to build it first...

The fiddle yards I've already built for Shepherds / Treamble will be suitable for this layout too. As I'm not planning on fixing the scenic exit points on the fiddle yard boards, there will be no issues with alignment, and the nature of the FY board design means any of my future layouts will sit on them without any finite carpentry ( a big plus in my case).

So, what do I want to do ?

After a recent set of PMs, a track layout suggestion I made to another member actually sparked an idea in my own head as to a quick layout I could build prior to my heavy involvement with Shepherds & Co

This is the baseboard layout  and track plan :

post-7025-0-59011300-1369137335.png             post-7025-0-81678800-1369137361_thumb.png

Each of the top lines exits to a fiddle yard, and the lower line also exits to a further scenic section (yet to be decided upon, but could very well be the Treamble board).

I'm thinking probably a run-down, semi-industrial area, with structures dotted around the boards, especially between the two loop lines. Era probably green / blue diesel. The top line could be a passing branch line, so passenger services (DMUs / late steam loco +2 coaches) could be trundling past, with an 04 or 08 pottering about the yard area and pushing wagons down towards the second area.

There will be a scenic break between the two areas (this has always been the intention with this design of baseboard) so each can be viewed / run / dressed independently.

Am I mad ?

• RMweb Gold

I've had time to think more about this and have realised I can work this layout into another version of the Shepherds story...

It's the mid 1960's. The line between Chacewater and Newquay survived the Beeching cuts. Passenger figures were keeping steady, with commuters travelling both into Truro and Newquay, plus the holiday makers were still visiting Perranporth & St Agnes by rail.

Freight consisted mainly of general merchandise, with the occasional piece of farm machinery.

However, the Shepherds area was earmarked for industrial expansion. Despite being a very rural location, Cornwall County Council could see potential in creating a small commercial area, just outside Newquay, to help motivate the economy. The Walker Lines Industrial Estate in Bodmin was growing well, helped in no small part by being served by the nation rail network. CCC envisioned that Shepherds would follow suit and persuaded British Railways to re-work the track layout to provide suitable sidings.

The existing bridge over the railway, built to access Shepherds Farm ( and unofficially to assist in the route to Penhale Camp), was retained, to provide road access to the industrial area.

post-7025-0-35959600-1369340700_thumb.jpg

The Newquay platform was removed, as were the passing loop and goods loop. In their place, a staggered loop was provided, with additional sidings.

Archived