Foam board and cladding

Hi, I am interested in having a go at scratch building my own stations and sheds. But, a bit overwhelmed with info and confused.

First off, the foam board that people refer to, is it the same stuff as that sold in hobby craft?

Second, the cladding that I see on depots, where do you get that from? Searched on google but wasn't sure if I was looking at the right stuff.

Third, when designing a shed or station is the a rule to follow about dimensions or is it a case of making a good judgement?

I have made some metcalf type buildings and although good they are not what I am looking to achieve, any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Hi, yes, foamboard is sold in hobbycraft. It is really easy to use, easy to cut and easy to glue with card glue or pva glue. I sometimes strengthen joints with Peco track pins too.

I used to use balsa wood, but foam board is much easier to use.

My main use has been for severely modified Metcalf card kits where I have made a building shell out of foamboad, then covered it with bits of the Metcalf kits, plus Metcalf brick sheets. For example, I have made a two storey parcels depot using the front and back of a single storey Metcalf building.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived