Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Foam board and cladding

Hi, I am interested in having a go at scratch building my own stations and sheds. But, a bit overwhelmed with info and confused.

First off, the foam board that people refer to, is it the same stuff as that sold in hobby craft?

Second, the cladding that I see on depots, where do you get that from? Searched on google but wasn't sure if I was looking at the right stuff.

Third, when designing a shed or station is the a rule to follow about dimensions or is it a case of making a good judgement?

I have made some metcalf type buildings and although good they are not what I am looking to achieve, any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Hi, yes, foamboard is sold in hobbycraft. It is really easy to use, easy to cut and easy to glue with card glue or pva glue. I sometimes strengthen joints with Peco track pins too.

I used to use balsa wood, but foam board is much easier to use.

My main use has been for severely modified Metcalf card kits where I have made a building shell out of foamboad, then covered it with bits of the Metcalf kits, plus Metcalf brick sheets. For example, I have made a two storey parcels depot using the front and back of a single storey Metcalf building.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived