N Gauge Track Radius

60026to

Plans are afoot for a small roundy-roundy.

The width of the boards are going to be 2ft 6 inches. I am aware of all of the different radii for Peco Set Track range but I'm not really happy with the Code 80 (rail height), although the curves would give me an instant fix over flexi track.

So this brings me to my question : Can flexi track be used to form the curves (double mainlines) on a board only measuring 2 ft 6 inches* wide?

The reason behind this is I would really want to use Code 55 for the track and not Code 80.

I all ready have 8 set track curves (ST 12, I think) but am holding off for buying anything else at the moment.

* In reality the area for the curves will a little bit smaller as I don't fancy the outer track being on the edge of the baseboards.

Cheers.

The recommended minimum radius for N gauge is 9 inches which fits the Peco trackwork (setrack r1 curve and pointwork).

You can use flexitrack but it really isn't recommended to go less than 9 inch radius.

What you need is a Tracksetta  - scroll down here http://www.buffersmodelrailways.com/products/track-8/track-accessories/track-tools although of course there are other shops that will supply them.

Basically you put this inside the flexitrack and press it down to form the curve you want, then pin the sleepers to the board by using the slots in the tracksetta.  Once done, you can move the template round so there is at least one "slot" past the end of your pinned down track and pin, repeat until the curve is complete.

You can get 9", 12", 15", 18", 21", 24", 30" and 36" radius and a straight one as well.

Don't forget the Peco track spacer gauge as well but if you're using curves as tight as 9" use the setrack spacing on the curves with a slight transition if necessary, rather than streamline for the track otherwise you'll find stock hits passing stock on adjacent tracks.

You may find that you can use the 9" or 12" ones for your inner (or outer) curve and with a track spacer tool if you're careful to do the adjacent track.

This video is about OO track but the principle remains the same.

Thanks very much for the speedy reply.

I have laid countless lengths of OO flexi all with varing degrees of success but never N Gauge and have never used curve formers before, they seem to be a very useful tool and I think I shall go for the 18" and 21" curves.

I will probably be asking a few more questions in the coming months about all things N gauge.

Cheers.

Glad to help - the principles of the Tracksetta gauges are identical regardless of scale.

Although I spent a number of years modelling in N gauge, my current interests are 7mm so although here is a great place to ask questions, others can probably help you better.

• RMweb Premium

Something that I have found is that you can get slight kinks with Tracksetta's unless you leave a significant overlap. 

Kris, that's why when I used them I would always pin the initial part down, then slide it along one "slot" and pin the next one at the forward edge of the tracksetta, rinse repeat as then you have the majority of the Tracksetta held in place, almost operating in reverse if you like, to keep the curve accurate.

Of course, the tighter the radius the more likely you are to end up with such a problem but using this method I've never had an issue.

• RMweb Gold

I have 11.5" radius curves in the fiddle yard on Banbury and they work OK with most stock but do get the occasional derailment. Was a major problem ill I replaced the Atlas code 55 set curves with specs code 55 flexi track.

You won't be able to use very short couplings on some stock though.

Ian

Archived