Fiddlers Yard (Now NO LONGER owned by Peter BB) SOLD AGAIN

Andrew P

Hi all and welcome to Fiddlers Yard as some of you may be aware I had started Deesdale Pike a couple of days ago as a re-build of Loch Leven, but I had lost the plot, (in steps George T with his usual quip, hahha) and it was also said that there are NO Pikes in the Peak District, (only Salmon and Trout) ha ha again, and I felt it was not looking right, and further more could not be made right without drastic alterations.

Enter Fiddlers Yard, I have been muttering ideas about FY for over a year now so here is a brief explanation of what, where and why.

First, = WHAT, FY is a series of sidings (poss  9) that enable me to shunt stock about in a reasoned and controlled manner, i.e just like a real yard, and with a reason for every move, (from a random card system).

It will NOT have a fiddle yard as such as the layout will form its own fiddle yard by simply moving stock about from siding to siding. The back Scene, (my original bug bear) will be removed as per my original plan. the area that is currently the Fiddle Yard will be scenic, and the main line that goes out through the trees on the right will also go out past the new scenic area to the left. This will in effect give me the opportunity for a fiddle yard at each end and through running, even of passenger services at Exhibitions.

Secondly, = WHERE, FY can be almost anywhere as it is just a yard. although it will be mainly Ex LMS structures and paintwork. It will represent a single track secondary route through the Peak District near to a Station and with a series of small Ex Private sidings either side of the line.

Thirdly, = WHY, well I wanted a layout I could operate at home as that is where it will be some 48 to 50 weeks of the year.I also wanted something that if it were to go out to Exhibitions it could be added to without spoiling the effect.

The work will commence in earnest after the weekend, and a blow by blow of the demolition and re construction. I will be looking for advice and guidance as usual and hope you will join me on this journey through Fiddlers Yard . :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit of the Yard. :sungum:

Morning Bodgit,  Well l know were you are coming from now, after the chat we had yesterday when you totally destroyed my plans for extending 72G onto three boards, l have been thinking about what you said and has made me re-think, would l be bothered to get the three boards up and running in the garden ? no l don't think so, and all the work involved would be wasted ?

So bearing in mind what you have said l will stick with what l have built and make it better, with your decision to make 'pike' or 'loch leven' or whatever you call it into just a non-descript yard is a cracking idea, then you can run / shunt whatever you like, and any era you fancy, good luck mate,

GT

Cheers George, yes I think with the infrastructure it will have it could go from Steam to Blue Diesels quite O.K. but not anything newer, as things like Coal Yards, Goods Sheds, and Loading Docks would have been gone by then.

Bodgit

Hi all, those that have seen LL will have seen this pic before but I have to start somewhere so this is the Crab on a Freight.

post-9335-0-11414300-1369312586_thumb.jpg

The back scene will one of the first things to go in a day or two.

Bodgit of the Yard

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for my last post in "old LL". If I'd bothered to look down the page I'd have spotted FY.

Bearing in mind the amount of previous discussion re. FY, I think your "change of scenery" is probably a good one. Whatever the setting, your shunting layouts are always cleverly done.

Good to see it's going to remain Midland. Await the new backscene with interest.

Jeff

Apologies for my last post in "old LL". If I'd bothered to look down the page I'd have spotted FY.

Bearing in mind the amount of previous discussion re. FY, I think your "change of scenery" is probably a good one. Whatever the setting, your shunting layouts are always cleverly done.

Good to see it's going to remain Midland. Await the new back scene with interest.

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, I am looking to add at least a Goods shed and I would like a small fuel distribution depot, but without overcrowding it, I want room for some nice scenic features and I am prepared to loose a siding or two to achieve this.

I have just popped in for a quick look before I sit down for coffee and I may need to either widen or remove the bridge and then re-position it at the left hand end, to gain a more realistic access to the goods shed. I don't want just points off the main line so I may even remove the point leading to the three sidings from the running line and bring it in from the Factory siding. These will then be fed from the head shunt which is how it should be anyway.

Here is the old pics of LL as it is at the moment for anyone who doesn't know the layout

post-9335-0-41465500-1369318761_thumb.jpg

and a view the other way showing how the scenic section will be extended by about 3 ft beyond the road bridge that may come out. The point for the goods shed will be a right hand point and may go from the left hand rail that joins the main line, and will put the shed along side the running line.

post-9335-0-84721700-1369318876_thumb.jpg

All will become clear in a couple of days as I RIP IT TO BITS and start doing what I enjoy most, re planning.

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Great minds think alike. At the end of the branch on my garden railway is a set of sidings, together with a reversing loop that has a platform by it. The name of this location on my layout: Fiddler's Yard.

Best wishes

Hi

Great minds think alike. At the end of the branch on my garden railway is a set of sidings, together with a reversing loop that has a platform by it. The name of this location on my layout: Fiddler's Yard.

Best wishes

Sorry about that Budgie, BTW I like your avatar mate.

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about that Budgie, BTW I like your avatar mate.

Bodgit

Hi, Bodgit

You don't need to apologise at all. (I like the similarities of our names, too: -- Bodgit - Budgie)

Hi, Bodgit

You don't need to apologise at all. (I like the similarities of our names, too: -- Bodgit - Budgie)

That's true you can be Budgie of the Yard, hahahhh

:sungum:

Bodgit of the Yard,

Hello Bodgit,  Just a thought will there be any buildings on the new layout ? or coaling stage for the locos to stand by ?

GT

Hi George, NO TO  A coaling stage or anything to era specific so I can run up to the Blue Diesel Period. I want some none railway buildings as well as a road if I can.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

How about a couple of kick-back sidings to complicate shunting a bit? I know that might sound daft but it will make it much more enjoyable.

After operating Mark's Foundry Lane last weekend, where you have to really think about the length of wagons, how to position everything and where to shuffle each one, it really opened my eyes to just how much fun shunting layouts can be; they become more of a puzzle than anything else. Some manouvres had Andy (Wagonbasher) and I really scratching our heads and the viewing public chipping in with suggestions and quite often chuckling. Mark was off elsewhere at the time, probably a good idea :D

How about a couple of kick-back sidings to complicate shunting a bit? I know that might sound daft but it will make it much more enjoyable.

After operating Mark's Foundry Lane last weekend, where you have to really think about the length of wagons, how to position everything and where to shuffle each one, it really opened my eyes to just how much fun shunting layouts can be; they become more of a puzzle than anything else. Some manouvres had Andy (Wagonbasher) and I really scratching our heads and the viewing public chipping in with suggestions and quite often chuckling. Mark was off elsewhere at the time, probably a good idea :D

Hi Jason, sounds like a plan, I will have a good look and see what else I can come up with. As a note, when I ran the layout at shows the two factory sidings were only worked as kick back sidings and used the main loop as its run round before departing into the Fiddle Yard again.

Bodgit

Interesting  concept Andy.....Its just helped clarify an idea or two in my mind about things that were lying on my mind like a heavy fog on a Peak District Pike ;)  (Topley Pike is the only one I can think of)

Cheers Micky, good luck :O my mind is never clear, just a constant FOG :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Micky, good luck :O my mind is never clear, just a constant FOG :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Your mind is clear enough when it comes to building all those layouts of yours!!  :O

Jeff

Your mind is clear enough when it comes to building all those layouts of yours!!  :O

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, I have had another look at Ray Norwoods Yard Shunter and if you go back about 4  or 5 pages you will see a couple of airel shots he did for me. It has the sort of thing I have talked about, he has a cattle dock, Wood yard, Goods Shed so a lot of shunting. I am looking for a similar thing but in a bit more of a Midland look, i.e. that's why I have the distribution factory siding, I just need some more things like the Fuel depot or Goods Shed.

I may need to start again :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit the Brave :O :sungum:

Evening all, I have made a start with the DESTRUCTION of the old LL.

First of all the Back Scene has gone on the old fiddle yard board.

post-9335-0-42581800-1369596498_thumb.jpg

next we see the results of the Earthquake as the land starts to split away.

post-9335-0-95030700-1369596560_thumb.jpg

Now showing just how much extra room I have even with the same road, Pub and Chapel.

post-9335-0-66104000-1369596683_thumb.jpg

And finally an idea of what I might do with this end of the layout,

from left to right

a loading dock,

Goods shed,

Main Line,

Factory head shunt,

Possible Brewery.

post-9335-0-80989200-1369596748_thumb.jpg

I hope it makes sense and you comments as always are welcome.

If this works I will end up with a 2 road Goods Yard, Brewery, 2 Road Factory, 3 sidings for wagon storage, the original head shunt on the run round loop and the original front siding may end up as a Fuel Depot.

Bodgit

Well I have managed to get an Hour in the Den this evening and UN-BALLASTED one of the points that I needed to remove in order to fit a Single Slip for the Head Shunt and poss Brewery siding, I will post some picks quite soon but I am busy tomorrow (Tuesday) and Wednesday so not much will be done in the next 48 hours, but I am pleased with the plan and the Single Slip works O.K.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

You've clearly had a good think as this is now much more than a "cosmetic" makeover.

Btw, I love the mantra you've written on the front of the baseboard.... "Less is more....."

Looking forward to the updated pics!

Jeff

Hi Andy.

You've clearly had a good think as this is now much more than a "cosmetic" makeover.

Btw, I love the mantra you've written on the front of the baseboard.... "Less is more....."

Looking forward to the updated pics!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Leesismoor, Leesimour,  Lessismore, are three names I was playing around with when I had Bare Boards BEFORE I built LL.

You were not supposed to see that bit.

Archived