Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

O Gauge Glenton light railway plan

glenng

post-13900-0-79731500-1369327367_thumb.jpg

GLENTON LIGHT RAILWAY

Welcome to GLENTON this is my first o gauge railway and this is my plan the small layout only 60inchs x 14inchs with a small fiddle yard to the right.

1. Car park.
  2. Ramp to platform.
  3. Station building.
  4. Toilets.
  5. Storage shed.
  6. Platform.
  7. Gravel track.
  8. Coal/water.
  9. Ground frame.
  10. Line side hut.
  11. Engine shed.
  12. Yard.
  13. Mill engine & vertical boiler shed.

It’s the station I would like if I won the lottery with small 0-4-0’s & 0-6-0’s industrial / branch line railway trains (Terriers& Pugs) with a few goods wagons, vans & brake vans.

So what do you think??

Hi Glenng,

That is a nice little plan. What type of track are you using? It is worth remembering that the Peco O gauge points are very long and take up a lot of room. Building your own tighter radius ones, or indeed Marcway ones, might save you the extra some valuable inches.

What form do you propose the fiddle yard to take? It will be integral to effective operation.

Nice little plan and echo south_tyne's thoughts above re Peco points being too large for the plan.  6ft radius is the 'accepted minimum' but the locos you mention will have no problem with much tighter curves but you will have to make your own.

As a 'light railway' what period are you setting it in?  The 'car park' seems to indicate to me that it's almost a modern heritage setting?

What are you using as a scenic break to the right?

As a total novice and fist time builder in o gauge I want to keep things idiot proof.

The plan of the layout is a preserved line like the Mid Suffolk Railway so I can run whatever I want on it as I like the little industrial trains.

As to the track & points I was thinking of Peco track and Marcway 5ft/6ft points as I have never built track or points before and I want to keep it idiot proof so your help with this will be most useful.

The fiddle yard haven’t a clue yet as I want to concentrate on the layout.

The scenic break to the right will be the mill engine & vertical boiler shed to the front of the layout and the engine shed at the back (at the moment)

• RMweb Gold

I would definitely check you can fit your design in the 60" but also I'd plan the fiddle yard as part of what you're doing now so the baseboard  joint and track alignment don't cause problems later.

Chris

Peco points are about 20 inches long in O gauge so it doesn't take a lot to work out that the plan won't fit in the space that you have available.

What did you use for the trackplan above?

I'd also agree with Gilbert's point above that a rough estimation shows that the "middle"  of your plan is half way across a point, although I accept that you may be using a single 5ft long board.

You can download and print out Peco point templates here: http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=tempc124 (although you will obviously be printing them in "bits" as they're bigger than A4) that will hopefully give you an idea of what you can do.

The original trackplan is sound but you won't get Peco points in that plan in the space you have.  The Marcway 4 ft radius points I don't know the dimensions of but they would be more likely to work for you.

I've just put the 3 points end to end as you have above by the station using the O gauge Peco library in XTrackCAD and using a 60 inch wide board have 6 inches "spare" for the rest of the layout which clearly isn't going to work.

Can I just check

1) This is definitely O gauge and not a narrow gauge (such as O-16.5 with O gauge scenery but running on OO gauge track)

2) You used the O gauge track library in Anyrail rather than forgetting to change from OO?

It may well be Anyrail that is at fault here :)

Can I suggest downloading XTrackCAD (http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage) which is fairly simple to use as well, making sure you change the layout spec to O gauge and load the Peco O gauge library, and give that a try?

I've just put the 3 points end to end as you have above by the station using the O gauge Peco library in XTrackCAD and using a 60 inch wide board have 6 inches "spare" for the rest of the layout which clearly isn't going to work.

Welcome to the harsh reality of 7mm, and lucky we are not talking curved turnouts which are much longer.

My layout room measures roughly 16' x 19' and my original grand plan is now reduced to a wayside through station :cry: .

ATB,

Martyn.

P.S.   Mind you if it was not for Templot, I could of charged ahead and wasted a lot of money and precious time.

• 1 month later...

Archived