Weathering n gauge locomotives and rolling stock

Hi all

I am fairly new to n gauge. I have been a modeller for two years and now I want to make my rolling stock realistic by weathering. Companies all want £30 for each locomotives and I do not want to pay for 100 wagons and 10 locomotives. Anyway, I want to know how to weather my locomotives. I am great full for any help. Thank you all.

Please look at my other post about the 3 tender steam era rail track cleaner ( I believe it is. Helton that will be great aswell) !

I have decided to use humbrol weathering powders to weather. I have placed an order and I am waiting for them. As I am an ex oo gauge modeller, I have decided to practice on a steam loco, diesel, wagon and coach all in oo gauge. If this goes well and successful I may open an eBay store or a shop page on here so people can send their n gauge / oo gauge items to be weathered for £5 not including p&p. This seems to be a reasonable price as I do this for a hobby, not a job.

Thanks for looking. More update later this week.

Can anyone let me know how they get on with the humbrol powders, I weather most of my N gauge stock the old fashioned way, and with my own little adaption that worries a coupl of my mates but it works for me I think

dont give in, its not that difficult just get a waggon and practice on that first or one of the old Dapol loco kits and give it a go on that otherwise it could be expensiive going to the retailiers.

I have some very poor quality pictures of some of the loco's I've weathered and they were mostly from a pallete of 4 colours, but look at some of the entries on here from some other chaps they are truly stunning

dont give in, its not that difficult just get a waggon and practice on that first or one of the old Dapol loco kits and give it a go on that otherwise it could be expensiive going to the retailiers.

I have some very poor quality pictures of some of the loco's I've weathered and they were mostly from a pallete of 4 colours, but look at some of the entries on here from some other chaps they are truly stunning

Your weathering is really good. I am going to practice on a Hornby collectors loco which you get or free, a wagon and a coach ( all in oo)

Oo gauge weathering seems to be fairly easy but you have a bigger loco so....

To be fair to some of the smaller retailers get snowed under with postal orders but others can be a little slow, your just like a big kid waitijng for Christmas lol. To be honnest I'm the worst for it as soon as I order something, im almost waiting at the letterbox for the next few days

To be fair to some of the smaller retailers get snowed under with postal orders but others can be a little slow, your just like a big kid waitijng for Christmas lol. To be honnest I'm the worst for it as soon as I order something, im almost waiting at the letterbox for the next few days

Haha yeh I am just so impatient because I want to weather stuff and stik iypt on eBay (old oo gauge stock which I no longer use now)

Means more money for n gauge !

be careful or you will end up like me, far too much stock and nowhere to run it for the moment anyway

That's true but I'm a member of Solihull N Gauge Model Rail Group (SNGMRG) and we have a huge layout so.....

Just want the weathering powders to arrive

Oh and one other thing, does anyone know how to upload a photo on here without it being too big to upload?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok. Update

I did not recieve the dark earth weathering powder, as he claimed he had no more stock. Instead, I was sent black

I have finished one side (at my n gauge club) - 'WRONG SCALE'

Picture link will be posted tommorRow night.

I will buy earth, then attempt coaches and wagons

Thanks

Archived