Lokprogrammer Question

pheaton

• RMweb Gold

Quick one for any lokprogrammer users....

if I change one of my sound project file settings rather then the sound project itself, do I need to re-write decoder sounds or should it work just re-writing the decoder data?

Trying to get to grips with this but the lokprogrammer manual is way way out of date, are there any decent tutorials on how it all works on the web?

Thanks

SImon

• RMweb Premium

AFAIIA, you can just upload the decoder data to change CV settings.

Best way is to download the decoder data from the loco and save it. Then modify the decoder settings and upload to the loco.

Cheers,

Mick

Quick one for any lokprogrammer users....

if I change one of my sound project file settings rather then the sound project itself, do I need to re-write decoder sounds or should it work just re-writing the decoder data?

Trying to get to grips with this but the lokprogrammer manual is way way out of date, are there any decent tutorials on how it all works on the web?

Thanks

SImon

It depends how you do it. I assume you are using a  Lokprogammer by the quote in your OP.

V4 Loksound chips are complex beasts and the Lokprogrammer has no safeguards against pushing the wrong 'button' in the software. If you are just trying to change one or two CV's to change the running characteristics i e any CV from 1 to 100 approx then you can use any command station with read and write CV capability.

Anything else might prove dangerous unless you have a comprehensive list of CV values BEFORE you start. Using a Lokprogrammer without the original sound project is not for the faint hearted or the inexperienced.

What are you trying to achieve?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

This is a new sound project im working on for my "slugs" :) im using an old 3.5 chip which is a "play" chip I am using a LOKprogrammer, purchased with making sound sets in mind as I have a lot of access to the real thing for recordings :) I appreciate the V4 is better but id rather use a V4 for more professional sound sets rather then my amateurish attempts :)

Basically i'm after a bit of a better tutorial on how to set the values and arrange the sounds on the motor overview, as I said the manual that's downloadable from the ESU site is for an older version (pre v4) of the lokprogrammer software and isn't very informative, on the layout of the sounds.

Im fairly comfortable editing sounds using adacity as I used to do this a lot when I worked on components for the rail sim BVE. And already have the majority of sounds edited for re-use.

So if you guys are more used to the lokprogrammer if you could give me some pointers that would be great :)

I know I sound a plank lol but hey weve all gotta start from somewhere :)

Thanks

Simon

Can I suggest that you stick to using version 2.7.9 of the LokProgrammer software for LokSound 3.5s and use the related LokProgrammer manual, the most recent edition being for LokProgrammer 2.6.2.. ESU have only recently released the version of the Lokprogrammer, 4.4.3, that applies to both V3.5 and V4 LokSound decoders, and it may still have the odd bug. Also they have still have still to issue a manual for LokProgrammer V4.x.x.

If you are working with V4 LokSounds then you must use LokProgrammer V4.x.x.

I know I sound a plank lol but hey weve all gotta start from somewhere :)

Thanks

Simon

Construction of sound projects even in the old V3.5 has very little to do with CV values. The Lokprogrammer software gives a very good GUI and you just basically drag and drop sounds into boxes and adjust values in on screen boxes to give the effect you want.

We have all burnt huge amounts of midnight oil to get the sounds playing the way we want to and some have achieved modest commercial success by selling the results.

It is very difficult to explain how to construct a sound project or even how to adjust values in broad terms as you may wish to employ a variety of tactics to achieve the result that you seek using sounds that are near enough unique to you.

The only way to get there is to literally just use trial and error and then ask on here as to specifics in terms of how to get coasting or thrash to work properly. Be prepared for a lot of disappointment and quite a lot of frustration.

You might find that membership of the Loksound Yahoo Group might help although distinctly American in flavour these days.

Reading the manual from cover to cover and changing things on an existing project can give an insight as to how to do things so they make a difference. The beauty of that is that a mistake is easily rectified by starting again from the original project. Some of the early projects supplied with the software are really basic and benefit greatly from tweaking

We all started somewhere, this is true and there is no better place to start than messing about with adjustments in one of the supplied sound projects that come with the software as the use of your own sounds actually makes life really difficult and puts you on overload.

It took me seven days of solid computer programming to get my Class 3 diesel project sounding right and in a decoder and I have forgotten most of the settings now. It took me over a  year of fiddling with existing projects to master the techniques and then only some of them. I have lost count of the times I have abandoned a project as being unworkable. It sounded just great when i recorded it and played it back on my computer through Audacity but absolutely dire when I downloaded it and played it on the layout.

Good luck!

Simon,

To answer your original question in a roundabout way, with reference to the Lokprogrammer for v3.5 software;

After constructing the sound project you first upload the sounds by clicking 'write sounds on the decoder'. This does what it says on the tin and doesn't change any CV's. The CV's that you have set in the course of your project construction are then uploaded by clicking on 'write decoder data'. This does not affect the sounds, it simply amends the chip's CV's to your settings in the project. If you're reblowing a chip with an established, working project that's all there is to it. However, when you are developing a project you will be endlessly tweaking settings in the various sound slots to get the sounds to do what you want. If you haven't changed any actual sound clips, you can use the 'write only sound assignments' button to upload just the tweaks (threshold settings, the order in which sounds are played and so on). If you change any CV's, you will have to use 'write decoder data' again. If you change any clips, you will have to use 'write sounds on the decoder' again.

In the Lokprogrammer for v4 software there isn't a 'write only sound assignments' button; all tweaks have to be loaded in full along with the sounds. Fortunately you can now listen to the operation of each flowchart on the PC without uploading it to the chip so this isn't as bad as it sounds.

Hope this helps. I'm happy to answer more specific questions if you send me a PM.

Bif

Archived