Quality Street 7mm Narrow Gauge

ColinK

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Someone suggested that I put some info on one of my layouts on the Forum, so here it is!  As you will see, it is not a serious model, but it is interesting to operate and has entertained people at two shows.

'Quality Street' is a less than serious modern image 7mm scale layout using 'OO' track, i.e. 0-16.5.  It is essentially a slightly modified 'Inglenook' design with an extra siding and a fiddle yard.

Motive power includes a DRS shunter and EWS class 68 - made long before DRS ordered some real class 68's. There is also my version of a 'Thomas the Tank' engine!

In addition, there is also a short length on 18" gauge track with a buffet car!

It is just about complete, all I need is a cheap 7mm cow (for the milk supply) and to add another unusual scenic feature when I find the time to make it.

It has been exhibited twice so far, at Chapel-en-le-Frith in February and a The Churnet Valley Railway a couple of weeks ago where the photos were taken. It's next appearance will be at The Romiley Model Railway Exhibhition on 7th September 2013 (nb this has free admission and has layouts for visitors to drive).

The operating sequence is,

• Just 3 empty wagons in the yard.
  • Workers arrive by passenger train.
  • Ingredients for the chocolate arrive by freight train. 
  • Empty stock from the passenger train departs.
  • Empty goods train arrives, comprising 5 wagons.
  • A pack of 8 cards, one for each type of chocolate made by the factory is shuffled. Five of these are chosen at random; these are the chocolates to be produced in this shift.
  • The operator now has to load the 5 chocolates in the appropriate waggons by shunting them into the loading bay where the loads are added by hand.
  • The five loaded waggons have to be shunted into the order in which the cards were drawn. 
  • Once the train has been assembled, it departs.
  • ECS for the workers train arrives.
  • Empty ingredients train departs.
  • Workers train departs. 

It is so challenging that on one occasion we got stuck and could not make up the goods train!

The visible section is 4 feet long and 14 inches wide, plus a three road fiddle yard three feet long.

ColinK

post-19248-0-01595800-1369740998.jpgpost-19248-0-80985100-1369741025.jpgpost-19248-0-51853600-1369741050.jpgpost-19248-0-63432400-1369741068.jpgpost-19248-0-83438400-1369741090.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Colin,

I love it! This hobby is supposed to be fun and this layout and your stock definitely is! What it shows is that it can be light hearted, imaginative but still be modelled to a high standard. Thanks for sharing and let's see some more pics of those creations of your mind!

David

• Like 1

• 7 years later...