LNER non corridor tenders

Could someone tell me the visual differences, from a modeller's rather than an engineer's perspective, between the two types of non corridor tenders that were used with A3s and A4s ?

Also do the current Hornby super detail models accurately reflect those differences ?

Rodger

The 1920s high sided, non-corridor tender had 'D' shaped beading just below the curved sheeting to the coal space/water tank that continued around on the rear

The 1930s design were flush sided to the curve at the sides of the coal/water space, and had a fairing at the front of the coal space from about the mid-30s, unlike the 1920s design, which was retrofitted with it.

I have kept this simple, and I'm sure others can add further detail, but this is the basic variations of the design.

And as far as I am aware, the Hornby versons cover these details fairly well.

Was there also a small footplate that ran along the bottom of the tank on the ones with the beading? IIRC the front of the tender was also different in that some of them turned in and some of them were straight.

OzzyO.

Having got both of these tenders in stock  a quick glance shows to the photographers eye

the corridor door at the front and the re-arrangement of the front to allow the door to fit some had the differences already mentioned 

the rear after the most obvious thing after the corridor link is the window for the illumination of the corridor

you do need to watch the steps as well for the fireman to get up to the tender top with some of them being different

I think the OP was asking for differences in the non corridor tenders. What has latterly been described is the (famous) corridor tenders, which were of course quite different (they were wider - hence the lack of the small 'footplate' round the base - to accommodate the corridor without losing too much coal and water space).

There are also of course the original GN 8-wheel tender type that the original Gresley A1's were built with from 1922 onwards, easily recognised by the distinctive coal rails. Despite subsequent rebuildings (A1 to A3) et al, these tenders remained in traffic into the BR era and several A3's were withdrawn still towing them around. No A4 ever ran with a GN tender as far as I know. The Hornby model of the GN tender is a thing of beauty.

The RCTS green book Vol 2A gives you all the detail you need to know about these tender types.

Have a look on my thread loadsa Hornby Tenders  on there in original and repainted liveries. I think they are brilliant

Thanks Mick - very nice your models are too.

I've had a look at the RCTS book which certainly has all the technical details, but without drawings/photos illustrating differences one t'other, its hard to work out what the implications in 4mm scale modelling are, and to know whether/if Hornby have captured a feature well or not (at least for me anyway).

Archived