Idea for 009 carriages

Chubber

The NG bug-bite still hasn't subsided, and as I'm not likely to have as much room in the near future it will have to be 009, and the question of carriages has been on my mind.

They would still have to hold 1/76th peeps, be more compact in outline than OO, and there are not too many choices, given that I am to carriage building what Lonnie Donegan was to Gregorian Plainchant.......so, once again Kernow models have got me thinking along free-lance lines.

They offer this  http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/images/prod_22439.jpg at £13.99

or

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/20069/L334003_Liliput_Passenger_Coach_Ci_Bad_3rd_Class_in_DRG_livery at £9.99

which could [could they?] be put on 009 bogies [insert smiley for simpleton looking for a pat on the back]

The cost of N gauge chassis has frightened me, too......

Doug

• RMweb Premium

If you're an 009 Society member you can usually pick up the very good Roco HOe bogie coaches for a reasonable price, these are a good size for 009. 

Otherwise the Parkside Dundas 009 coach kits are very easy to build.

Thank you for that, Cornelius, I liked this one on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ROCO-HO-GAUGE-DR-2-AXLE-2nd-CLASS-PASSENGER-COACH-/380635373692?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item589fa2e07c

so perhaps my idea is not so daft after all?

I notice P.D. do abrass 4-wheel bogie set, too....  NWNG RLY Coach bogies. It's all the bodywork and painting that frightens me, I imagined a pair of Lilliput coaches only a little altered, perhaps [gulp] re-sprayed somehow. I'd rather have whimsey than history, and include a pasty mine and a sherbert factory...

Doug

I'm not sure that re-gauging standard-gauge coaches, even at 3.5mm/ft scale, would be very convincing. Although there is surely a prototype for it somewhere, they would be too tall and wide to look at home in 009.

As Cornelius says there are HOe coaches ready to run, such as these that are often available second hand for between £5-£10 (these just repainted):

DSCN1778.JPG

Or these, although getting rather rare now, can be made into very nice coaches like this pair which I "upgraded" recently:

DSCN4945.JPG

The plastic Parkside Dundas range is very good, and reasonably easy to build too, though start with a wagon if you've not done a plastic kit before.

Of course, if you can hang on a few more weeks, the PECO L&B coaches will be available ready-to-run!

That is a lovely pair of photographs! Thank you for your suggestions, I rushed into OO with all the enthusiasm of a 10 year old before realisng it was the buildings I enjoyed most, but NG seems to strike a chord with the management, our change of circumstances is some time [12months~] away, so plenty of thinkng to do, and enforced time to do it!

Doug

Thanks. Narrow gauge is certainly fun, the range of prototypes for inspiration is varied and far greater than you'd think. 009 is a great scale too, all the scenic accessories from 00 available with shorter trains and more compact track layouts. However "converting" your thinking from Standard Gauge can be tricky, Narrow Gauge station layouts, buildings, and operating practice are often quite different, so it's worth spending some of that time in some books and on the internet doing "research". Better still, visit some real NG railways if you can... 

You might find the NGRM forum useful inspiration, and the 009 society is worth joining for the magazine, second-hand sales (including by mail order), and supplier discounts. :)

Chubber, I have about 25 or so bodies of BEMO HOe coaches (I believe), just the bodies, no wheels, or bogies or roof, just the shell. Have a search for my thread probably on page 3 or so of this section of the forum, 009 coaches, and you'll see them on there. They were my poor attempt however if they look like they'll be any good to you, send me a PM.

Thanks

Tom

Years ago - when I was a HOe/OO9 modeller UK coaches I built coaches from Ratio OO 4 wheel coach kits, chopped, narrowed, and shortened, and fitted on N gauge chassis - somewhere I still have (I think) an article from RM by J A Patmore about modelling NG in TT-3 (3mm/Ft) with a loco photographed beside an old multi-sided 3d-piece - it will just about let you put a layout on a tea tray

• 4 weeks later...

DSCN4945.JPG

The plastic Parkside Dundas range is very good, and reasonably easy to build too, though start with a wagon if you've not done a plastic kit before.

Of course, if you can hang on a few more weeks, the PECO L&B coaches will be available ready-to-run!

Can you tell me what loco kit that is ? It looks great.

Thanks Brian. Paul is correct, it is a Skylark using the Chivers/Five79 kit. I've modified it to have tram skirts and fitted it to a Kato chassis. The full build is described here if you are interested.

I already have that kit on my short list of possible locos to build. Why did you add the skirts to the sides ? Could I use a chassis from N Drive Productions to build this kit ?

Brian, my layout (Awngate) is a fictional narrow-gauge tramway, so all (well, most) of the locos are skirted in accordance with the appropriate regulations. I figured that the company had decided to buy a "standard" design and fit the skirts, rather than pay for a bespoke design. (They quietly forgot the condensing gear).

Also, the Kato 4-wheel chassis is a very good runner and costs less than £20! The rear axle is visible where you expect the pony wheel to be. I'm sure the N-Drive chassis would fit, you'd need the short wheelbase and to fit a pony wheel. Also the Fleischmann "Black Anna" 0-4-0 fits I believe.

Doug, they look very good prices for new coaches! As I said before, if you join the 009 society, get in touch with the sales officer as they often have RTR H0 coaches available second hand. 

Though the following may look like a toy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111110172548?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 the coach bodies, apart from being slightly wide, have very nicely panelled bodysides and scale out around 25 foot long. With a bit of plasticard for an underframe/solebar and some bogies you can build a very nice Victorian style coach from them. Just under £3.30 each including postage and a 'free' loco for the kids!

• RMweb Premium

Funny Bernard should mention the Tomy Thomas carriages. Here's one I bashed about into a Darjeeling-esque vehicle with a pair of four wheeled companions.

post-6793-0-80137300-1372978409.jpg

With a different livery it would suit for a British narrow gauge line.

Thanks Neil. That certainly shows the potential.

Given how the end compartment windows are close to the end, I'd consider making them 3rds and the inner pair 1sts if you wanted a Composite coach and a bit of rearranging could produce double doors for a brake coach. Parkside Dundas sell guard's lookouts as separate mouldings too or you might have some old whitemetal ones from yonks ago...

Archived