Motor/gearboxes

I am about to buld two SouthEastern Finecast SECR 4-4-0s and I am looking for a good quality motor and gearbox for them. I've tried DJH and Branchlines but I was not totally happy with them. I need something smooth and quiet and I don't mind what I pay for them. Any suggestions would be very welcome. I am using DCC

High Level seem to most people favorite.I put one in my Buckjumper and am very pleased with its performance and they do a template to make sure you pick the right one ..They do a varied assortment of types to match most situations .

• RMweb Premium

I too would strongly recommend the High Level gearboxes, used with the Mashima motors they also supply.  Chris Gibbons of High Level is very helpful and if you're uncertain as to which motor to choose, give him a ring and he'll be happy to advise you.  (Mind you, having said all that I seem to be unable to access their website at the moment!)

DT

I'm surprised you weren't happy with Branchlines, their Multibox is really very good and they stock a wide range of motors and gearboxes to suit most applications. That said, I'd endorse the comments about Chris's helpfulness and the quality of High Level products.  It seems his first choice motor is the Mashima 1020 which will slide between the frames of an OO model.  The Road Runner Gearbox is fine for normal running.

I've got a 1020 going into a LNW Cauliflower mounted at angle from the vertical (about 11 o'clock).  This has a 18mm boiler with its centre-line about 18mm above the axles, so that gives you about 27mm less the thickness of the casting to play with.

Thanks Tren, for the extra information; I will probably go for the 1020 when (if!) I can get into the website - getting odd results so far. Re Branchlines, maybe I was unlucky; might give them another go

If you can wait a few months, Comet Models will be bringing out a crossed helical-plus-spur gearbox coupled to a Maxon coreless motor. I've seen the working sample and it really is efficient. The gears revolve like silk.

It will be expensive at first, though....

Thank you for all that info and phone number.  I have just found out that Chris has recently changed hosts and still setting up his website. A cross helical spur gearbox sounds interesting. I've had the kits some time - a few more months won't make any difference! -  I had heard that coreless motors can't be used with DCC; is this true?

Archived